• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My Old Turntable...

dmc

Finally bit the dust... I bought it in 1982.. Stopped working and the needle is bad... So it's history!!

Picked up a Marantz TT42 Belt drive.. Stoked to get it - been buying a bunch of records lately..

Anybody else still fire up the old turntable?

Cannonball

I've moved on from vinyl (it doesn't carry well on my bike) but I do appreciate the aesthetic of it. My Dad is an over-the-top collector. Well over 15,000 records in the collection. Both my brother and i have lost our old bedrooms to racks of records.

But getting back to the turntables..... my dad went through a long period in the 80's-ish where he would complain about the inability to find turntables, parts, needles, etc. Then Hip-Hop DJs brought it all back with a vengeance and he can get whatever he wants. It never fails to make me smile as he rails on "today's music" at the same time that he's singing the praises of the DJ turntable revival.

Last edited:

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Seriously - I just bought a turn table that either plugs into your computer or records a mp3 onto a flash drive. I've got about 300 lp's and maybe a hundred singles I'd like to try this with. Other than that I welcomed the advent of CD's - but with the advent of mp3's I can't keep up with replacing everything. So I guess its back to *pop* music for at least a few items.

〽❄❅

I love seeing you two play so nicely. :)

I've got a turntable somewhere buried in the basement...Next to my sweet, vintage tube stereo.
...so what do have down there? It could be better then you think.

All i listen to is tube two channel stereo. My favorite single ended tube amp only puts out 1.5 watts per channel from one 45 triode tube per side.

I don't have the patience for the vinyl ritual, but at concerts i often buy the vinyl LP along with the red book cd just to add it to the collection. Vinyl never went away, DJ's aside, taking into consideration all you youngsters raised on MP3 compressed garbage, it's little wonder why LP's made a comeback.

Last edited:

Cornhead

Much easier to clean your weed on an album cover than a jewel case. :wink: I hear they're good for cutting lines however. Ah, the good old days. It was a great format for art. Shrunk to oblivion for cd's, to exist only in the ether with downloads? I still have my vinyl albums, haven't seen the light of day for years. I bet there's still a few seeds and stems in the creases of the double albums.

ScottySkis

Much easier to clean your weed on an album cover than a jewel case. :wink: I hear they're good for cutting lines however. Ah, the good old days. It was a great format for art. Shrunk to oblivion for cd's, to exist only in the ether with downloads? I still have my vinyl albums, haven't seen the light of day for years. I bet there's still a few seeds and stems in the creases of the double albums.

Clean weed, I just smoke it, but what ever you enjoy, lol.
Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I still have my turn tables setup and ready to go. Used to DJ, haven't used them in many years. But I can't get rid of them nor the vinyl. At this point, I'd probably be hard pressed to find many clubs that even still have turntables setup. Everyone has gone digital. Much easier to carry every tune you own on a flash drive than have to select <100 records with only one tune on them that is usable. And of course the effects has really notched it up. Modern machines even take the beat matching out of it. Some argue that frees up the DJ to do more effects and work the music more... you still gotta be a good selector and program a good night regardless. Takes a bit of the fun out of it for me, though, so I haven't switched. Something about that physical feel of manipulating a non-digital media with your hands... that fun pressure of knowing you are a 32nd of a beat away from something not sounding perfect. Good stuff, but you can't get many new tunes on vinyl any more so whatev, I guess.

But I suspect most folks posting in this thread will be referring to rock/pop/whatev rather than dance tracks. :)

〽❄❅

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
〽❄❅;731329 said:
...well if you call it dance tracks, wouldn't know i'm not a fan, but yes for whatever it is she does being on vinyl - http://ladygaga.shop.bravadousa.com/Product.aspx?pc=BGLPLG02
If you're beat mixing dance music, you generally wouldn't mix a track from an LP. Big name artists still can release LPs for those that are into the vinyl still. But vinyl singles of "underground" dance music isn't happening... why spend $10 for a vinyl when you can spend $1.50 for an MP3? Less people buy, means individual prices need to go up due to smaller runs... it eventually collapses. Major LP releases still have enough demand to justify a modest printing.

〽❄❅

If you're beat mixing dance music, you generally wouldn't mix a track from an LP. Big name artists still can release LPs for those that are into the vinyl still. But vinyl singles of "underground" dance music isn't happening... why spend $10 for a vinyl when you can spend $1.50 for an MP3? Less people buy, means individual prices need to go up due to smaller runs... it eventually collapses. Major LP releases still have enough demand to justify a modest printing.
...so a use for MP3's, as if at the sound pressure levels of those places the dance club goers would care let alone hear a difference between formats...