• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Name a Northeast Ski Area and an attribute of that area you think is the best......

deadheadskier

Staff member
....in the region.

Most of these answers will obviously be personal opinion/preference, but I think it will be interesting to hear what people think certain ski areas do better than all others in the area. Their peak attribute so to speak.

bdfreetuna

Bolton Valley--

Best value (easy to get $39 and $29 passes there... $100 4-packs at BEMI ski show). Place skis great, something for everyone, relaxed mountain in Stowe's back yard.

Killington--

Best early and late season stoke factor, plus props for extending our New England ski season.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ski area: Wildcat

Attribute: Time on snow

I don't think there's a ski area in the region that surpasses Wildcat in the time you actually spend on the snow skiing/riding. The HSQ covers 2100+ vert in a little under 7 minutes. Going straight down the lift line you're skiing 6400 feet distance. Most routes taken are a mile and a half plus. Even on Saturdays, lift lines are usually 5 minutes or less. I don't believe there is a ski area in the region that you spend less time riding chairs or waiting in line for the lift than Wildcat.

2Planker

Totally agree !! As a NE skier for 40+ years, and a patroller for 25... I've skied and worked all over VT, NH and ME. Wildcat is a true gem. Good terrain, and never as crowded as most other places. Sure, it's a lil crazy on Holiday weekends, but that's to be expected. Elevation matters, and being across the street from 6,288ft. Mt Washington is the perfect position for increased snowfall.

Hung up the Patrol Pack a couple years ago, and bought a place in the Mt. Wash Vallley. Best thing we ever did !!! I still prefer the Cat, but Attitash is only 10 mins away, so it's a great option if you know how to avoid the crowds.

CoolMike

Best grooming / best recovery after rain storm: Sunday River.

Most friendly staff: Sugarbush

Most scientific / accurate snow reporting: Stowe

Best spring skiing: Killington. They also have the most talented musical act during spring skiing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sugarloaf

Attibute: best NE resort to park your car and forget it until you leave

Between all the slope side accommodations, the village and good shuttle system, every time I've gone to Sugarloaf for a weekend or more I have not used my car the entire time I'm there.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

Saddleback

Best Ski & Stay packages... it was $79 a night/day pp and you get a modern, spacious slopeside condo. We'll see if this ever returns.

ScottySkis

Plattekill in Catskills then they get snow powder all day midweek. Lots of snow. Lodge can be fun and full with race parents and family enjoy staying inside never big line's except for White one's through the amazing left side natural snow trails.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

dlague

When Saddleback is open the pod setup there is awesome. Rangely double sucks but Kennebago lift is the place to be.

Jay Peak has lots of nice woods.

Burke has great trees as well at skiers right.

Sugarloaf for variety large glades area, nice steeps as well as some very nice narrow NE trails.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's been a while for me at some areas, but here goes:

Sunday River: most reliable snow (snowmaking and grooming).

Burke: no crowds

Stowe: best all around resort

MRG: most character

Sugarbush: best terrain variety

Smuggs: best surprise expert mountain

Cornhead

Snow Ridge:

• $12 lift tickets, Liftopia

• Averages more snow anually than Stowe

• Utahesque powder, arctic air induced lake effect.

• Localized LES, roads are clear on 90℅ of trip to and fro.

• Localized LES, can ski weekday storms, when they're open, and work may think I'm actually sick, no snow at home.

• Retro vibe, although they did have their balls removed, always a bad move.
20f6bb107a6bc65ddb48364d93841bdf.jpg

Sent from my R1 HD using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

Mapnut

Berkshire East - best intermediate run that I'd be happy to ski all day if I had to - Big Chief.

jimk

Quick word association without thinking too much:smash:

Whiteface: Brawny
Wildcat: Gorgeous
Cannon: Classic
Wawa: Effective
Gunstock: Effective II
Mt. Snow: Cruising
Mad River Glen: Iconic
Stowe: Capitol
Smuggs: Family
Suicide Six: Historic
Killington: Everything
Sugarbush: Everything II
Sunday River: Everything III
Saddleback: Pristine
Sugarloaf: Remote
Le Massif: Maritime
MSE: Quebecois
Loon: Inclusive
Hunter: Enough
Plattekill: Alternative

jaybird

Shirley you jest .. this is indisputable .. Mad River Glen !

Single Chair and No single plankers. :thumbup:

machski

Sunday River: Reliable condition s regardless of the weather. It's what brought me there when I got my DL in 1990 and why I planted roots there.
There is a flip side too, for those in the know, when the snow is right, it skis much larger than most give it credit for. The boundary to boundary policy is for real.