• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Name a Northeast Ski Area and an attribute of that area you think is the best......

x10003q

Gore Mountain :

Never crowded/no liftlines
Trees, trees, and more trees
Lots of terrain choices facing different directions and at different elevations
No slope side lodging or village
20 miles off the highway for ease of access
At 440 acres and 2538' vertical Gore skis big

xlr8r

Wachusett - best night skiing, open til 10 every night of the week and groom most trails for night session.
Bretton Woods - best beginner mountain, including best beginner and intermediate glades.
Sugarbush - best vertical drop.
Pico - most overlooked mountain

VTKilarney

I will add a couple:

Bretton Woods: Best beginner and intermediate mountain in the northeast. People like to make fun of them, but for people who don't want to ski steep terrain there is no better place. They are often credited for having the best grooming in the northeast, but I think it's more the reality that steeper terrain gets scraped off more quickly. Their grooming is very good, for sure, but they have a built in advantage.

Eastern Townships: The best effortless mid-week deals, hands down. From Tuesday through Thursday you can just show up and ski for about $20 (before tax). Owl's Head is $17 USD on Tuesdays and Wednesday. Mont Orford is $23 USD on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Bromont takes a little more effort (you have to buy ahead) and is not quite as cheap. But their $40 Sweet Pass ticket (non Quebec residents) is good any day of the week.

Duncanator24

Sugarbush: Value for 19-29 year olds. $350 for an unrestricted season pass cannot be beat.
Mad River Glen: Best natural snow terrain

benski

Sugarbush: Value for 19-29 year olds. $350 for an unrestricted season pass cannot be beat.
Mad River Glen: Best natural snow terrain

Last year I had a unrestricted Sugarbush and Mad River for $360 as a college student. I think it was the same this year. regret paying an extra $50 for Mad River.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Mortals can actually afford ski-on/ski-off condos.
Open over 90 hours per week;
Good snowmaking and grooming;
Glades;
Minimal lift lines;

Anyone who knows me or who has read my postings knows where I'm talking about.
---
That being said:
Killington for the early and late season is incomparable.

cdskier

Sugarbush - Incredibly aggressive rope dropping policy. Awesome valley/towns/people in the area. And to copy TB, great terrain variety.
Plattekill - Best holiday day trip option to avoid the crowds

Duncanator24

Last year I had a unrestricted Sugarbush and Mad River for $360 as a college student. I think it was the same this year. regret paying an extra $50 for Mad River.

Totally worth it for the Mad River addon if you are up there midweek enough. There will be more snow there for sure eventually. From what I have heard though, it is already skiing really well, despite the thin cover. I will certainly be making a couple trips to MRG even though I didnt get the addon. It will likely end up around the same cost.

mccleaks

To add a few I haven't seen...
Ragged - Typically cheap on liftopia and empty when you get there. Small mountain, but lots of lift capacity and nice wide fast trails

Shawnee Peak - Awesome for night skiing if you're in the area. Steep terrain makes up for slow lifts

Mount Snow - Best groomers/cruising... and I guess they have a huge park if you're into that. If you're not, they keep all those people separate from the rest of the mountain

Sunapee - Always seem to do a great job with snow making and grooming

Blue Hills - The glory days of high school week night racing

King Ridge - Been closed for 20+ years, but its where I learned to ski. Loved the quirkiness of parking your car at the top. We had season passes and a ski locker in the lodge. Always a great family feel to the place, all of the staff knew us by name. Ralph who ran the double chair was the man and always built a bad ass snow castle at the base of the lift every season (this could be slightly exaggerated as I was only 11 when they closed)

bdfreetuna

Skiing at King Ridge was fun! I was just a young tike! The Jabberwocky was the best run -- natural half pipe trail.

Our family business produced their advertising/brochures. Although that's not really to our credit as they went out of business anyway.

tnt1234

I'll say:

Stowe - layout. Great vertical served by a single lift rides. Both he Four Runner and the Gondola....one lift, right to the top - 2,000+ vert. after one lift ride.

VTKilarney

Burke - Good separation between beginner and advanced terrain without being so far apart that you lose family members.

I've said it before, but Burke has one of the best beginner pods in the northeast. A great lift, and good separation from the more advanced skiers.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Skiing at King Ridge was fun! I was just a young tike! The Jabberwocky was the best run -- natural half pipe trail.

Our family business produced their advertising/brochures. Although that's not really to our credit as they went out of business anyway.
Hard to understand why King Ridge went under. In the 70's, they had so many guests that they limited lift ticket sales and there were many weekends on which they sold out. Part of their problem was certainly a reluctance to install snow making, and the State, not wanting to over-compete with King Ridge, held off installing snow making on Sunapee. Anybody know more?

xwhaler

I loved skiing at King Ridge back in the day. Many many days there as a kid.
Hard to tell if it would have survived in today's market though with Ragged and Sunapee being larger and Whaleback having more of the school/community market wrapped up in the local area.

Smellytele

I loved skiing at King Ridge back in the day. Many many days there as a kid.
Hard to tell if it would have survived in today's market though with Ragged and Sunapee being larger and Whaleback having more of the school/community market wrapped up in the local area.

Also Pats has taken a lot school market as well in the area. I skied King ridge when I was a teenager and loved the front face t-bar as well.