• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NASTAR Eastern Championships return to Okemo Feb 1-2

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
Last year's inaugural year event was very well received and it returns this year on Feb 1-2. No qualifying required! Open to skiers and boarders.

Pacesetting will be done by four-time Olympian A.J. Kitt. Registration is now open.

See you there!

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
119 resorts offer NASTAR. Come to the Eastern Championships and try to beat the arthritic 67 year old local pacesetter (me).
This is a fun event and has folks coming from as far away as Florida and Kentucky. Hope to see you there.
Bear Valley Mountain
Squaw Valley
Sugar Bowl Resort
Team Mountain High
Yosemite`s Badger Pass
Aspen Highlands
Aspen Mountain
Copper Mountain Resort
Durango Mountain Resort
National Championships
Powderhorn Resort
Ski Cooper
Snowmass Ski Area
Special Olympics Colorado
Steamboat Ski & Resort
Telluride Ski & Golf Resort
Winter Park Resort
Mount Southington
Powder Ridge Mountain Park
Ski Sundown
Bogus Basin Ski Resort
Schweitzer Mtn. Resort
Sun Valley Ski Resort
Chestnut Mountain Resort
Paoli Peaks
Perfect North Slopes
Wachusett Mountain
WISP Resort
Mount Abram
Shawnee Peak
Alpine Valley Ski Area
Bittersweet Ski Area
Blackjack Ski Resort
Boyne Highlands
Boyne Mountain Resort
Caberfae Peaks Resorts
Crystal Mountain Resort
Indianhead Mtn. Resort
Marquette Mountain
Mt. Brighton Ski Area
Mt. Holly Ski Area
Nubs Nob Ski Area
Otsego Ski Club
Pine Knob Ski Resort
Pine Mountain Resort
Schuss Mountain
Ski Brule
The Homestead Resort
Timber Ridge Ski Area
Treetops Resort
Afton Alps
Buck Hill Ski Area
Coffee Mill
Giant''s Ridge
Hyland Ski and Snowboard Area
Mount Kato
Spirit Mountain
Welch Village Ski Area
Wild Mountain
Hidden Valley Ski Area
Snow Creek Ski & Board Area
Cataloochee Ski Area
Sugar Mountain Resort
Bretton Woods
Cannon Mountain
Cranmore Mountain Resort
Crotched Mountain
Granite Gorge Ski Area
Gunstock
McIntyre Ski Area
Mount Sunapee
Pats Peak
Waterville Valley
Angel Fire Resort
Taos Ski Valley
Las Vegas Ski & Snowboard Resort
Sky Tavern
Bristol Mountain
Greek Peak Ski Resort
Holiday Valley Resort
Labrador Mountain
Peekn Peak Resort
Song Mountain
Swain Resort
Toggenburg Mountain
Tuxedo Ridge
West Mountain Ski Area
Windham Mountain
Mad River Mountain
Ohio Valley Ski Council
Hoodoo Ski Area
Mt. Bachelor
PACRAT
Bear Creek
Blue Knob All Season Resort
Montage Mountain Resorts
Roundtop Mountain Resort
Seven Springs Mtn. Resort
Shawnee Mountain
Crescent Ski Council
Deer Valley
Park City Mountain Resort
Bryce Resort
Massanutten Ski Resort
Wintergreen Resort
Jay Peak Ski Resort
Okemo Mountain
Sugarbush Resort
The Hermitage Club
Cascade Mountain
Granite Peak Ski Team
Little Switzerland
Mt. Ashwabay
Mt. LaCrosse
Trollhaugen Ski Area
Tyrol Basin
WIJARA
Snowshoe Mtn. Resort
Timberline Ski Area

HD333

Last year's inaugural year event was very well received and it returns this year on Feb 1-2. No qualifying required! Open to skiers and boarders.

Pacesetting will be done by four-time Olympian A.J. Kitt. Registration is now open.

See you there!
Is the NASTAR Course for this at Okemo the one near the A&B lifts? Is it me or is that extremely flat?

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
That is indeed the location. The top three gates are very sedate and then it gets steeper. The venue was moved from Lower Blackout three years ago to give it more visibility. The move paid off as we've significantly increased the number of racers. Certainly there is steeper terrain on the mountain but A.J. enjoyed running it last year as did all the entrants. If you need a more challenging course then don't come.

On the other hand I suspect you'll enjoy yourself.

The Mountain Dew Vertical Challenge was held there in December and I videoed both my runs with a chest mounted GoPro.

HD333

That is indeed the location. The top three gates are very sedate and then it gets steeper. The venue was moved from Lower Blackout three years ago to give it more visibility. The move paid off as we've significantly increased the number of racers. Certainly there is steeper terrain on the mountain but A.J. enjoyed running it last year as did all the entrants. If you need a more challenging course then don't come.

On the other hand I suspect you'll enjoy yourself.

Not knocking it just saying it looks flat compared to other courses I have seen. I have never run gates on my board or skis but it looks fun. I couldn't tell from the registration, can you sign up for ONLY the family one? I'd like to sign up me, the wife, and my kids and see how we would do.
Maybe it is better off just to do it some day outside of the organized competition.

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
$10 Entry fee for the Team Race only: Competitors that would like to join a team and race only in the Family/Friends Team Race can enter Sunday morning in the Competition Center.

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
If anyone wants to get a jump on training, the NASTAR course at Okemo will be open tomorrow with a single course from 10 -2. On Saturday and Sunday we'll have dual courses - one with traditional ski gates and one with stubbies (ideal for snowboard racers). For the actual event both courses will have ski gates. You can do unlimited runs for $12.

For the competition the following weekend, look for the outdoor tent of SuburbanSkiAndBike.com. They'll have free recreational race ski demos for entrants.

HD333

Any advice on those going to Okemo on the Saturday? No plans on doing any runs on the course (yet).

Our usual plan of attack for crowd avoidance:

If you get out early (8:00ish) start on Northstar and lap those runs (Defiance, Worldcup, Chief) until you see crowds form, might be 1-2 runs, then head over to Jackson Gore (they are all still waking up), hit up Tuckered Out (fun easy trail) before the masses, then Vortex to Eclipse to bottom of Big Bang, Big Bang top to bottom is also fun. When crowds form head over to South Face, gotta get on Northstar to get over, then from Glades Peak Quad hit Fall line if it looks good if not take RimRock . Then head to South Face Quad and take Stumpjumper, Blind Faith, Punchline,stay over hear until you have had enough or go fight the crowds on Northstar.
Natural trails have been closed but if they open up then your options expand.
Finish the day with a beer or 3 at Sitting Bull or Tom's Loft, get the Jerk wings at the Loft if you get a table.