• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Naugatuck State Forest - 05/13/2011

WoodCore

Even though it was Friday the 13th decided to take an exploratory ride in an unknown forest area. It ended up being everything you would expect out of an unguided first ride, some sweet single track, some hike a bike and some bushwacking as well. Either way with the help of my GPS and a little luck managed to roll around 7 miles and escape the forest before darkness (just barely).

The riding here is very crude in the sense that not many folks ride it and the trails are somewhat abandoned looking. The terrain however is outstanding and the area has loads of potential. Lots of smooth pine forests, sloping glades and enough ride-able rocks to keep you busy for weeks on end. Definitely plan on going back soon to continue exploring what this forest has to offer.

Here's some pictures........

P1030300_1_.JPG

P1030302_1_.JPG

P1030311_1_.JPG

P1030312_1_.JPG

P1030315_1_.JPG

P1030317_1_.JPG

P1030323_1_.JPG

P1030325_1_.JPG

powhunter

Nice report WC.... I gave that place a shot last year.. Yea it was pretty crude.....Think it would be an awesome place to ride with a little TM and more traffic..Did ya park in the commuter lot and then just cross over?

Steveo

Greg

Staff member
I rode in the part of the forest east of route 8 a bunch of times in the mid-90's when my parents lived in Beacon Falls (their property bordered the forest). I used to just do a short out and back from their house on 42 to the condos on Beach Valley Road. I think it was all blue trail except for the connecting trail I built (with a 3-wheeler) from the house to the blue. Thinking back, it probably was like a 3 mile ride. :lol:

WoodCore

The section I rode was on the west side of route 8 around the old Seymour reservoirs. I parked in a small dirt lot off Chestnut Tree Hill Road.

MTN-FUN

Looks pretty sweet! I'll have to head over there sometime

Definitely, Brian! I think it could be a nice little gem once it's all polished up! Some parts reminded me of Nass, others reminded me of Shelton. Some of the nice, big rollers we saw were Trumbull-esk, but need to be cleaned up a bit (entry and exit). There were some narly descents we attempted through a riverbed that, if worked on, could make for some fun stuff for the travel to eat up!!! Need to head back so J can "make a plan" to implement next year (as I just learned, being a novice at trail building, that it's better to do prior to all the leaves popping out - makes sense!).

Now....if this rain would just GO AWAY!!!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Looks real nice. The other mobile app company I'm doing, my business partner in that he is from Naugatuck. I wonder if he's been there.... I don't think he is much of an outdoorsman though :)