• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need help planning NH trip

Imcdaniel

Me and 3 of my skiing/snowboard buddies are trying to finalize our trip to NH this year. We were planning on hitting Bretton Woods, cannon mountain, loone mountain, gunstock, and maybe one other mountain as none of us have been to NH to ski. Last year we went on a big CO trip and hit Loveland, a basin, keystone, breck, and copper, but we don’t have the funds to get out there again. We are debating between January 1-6 and March 7-14. Since we have never goin our east we aren’t sure when the best time would be to go based on conditions. Any info would be great!

crank

March should be better, however, there are no guarantees. Where are you coming from?

Smellytele

Me and 3 of my skiing/snowboard buddies are trying to finalize our trip to NH this year. We were planning on hitting Bretton Woods, cannon mountain, loone mountain, gunstock, and maybe one other mountain as none of us have been to NH to ski. Last year we went on a big CO trip and hit Loveland, a basin, keystone, breck, and copper, but we don’t have the funds to get out there again. We are debating between January 1-6 and March 7-14. Since we have never goin our east we aren’t sure when the best time would be to go based on conditions. Any info would be great!

March

Imcdaniel

March should be better, however, there are no guarantees. Where are you coming from?

We are coming from Columbus, Ohio and staying in New Hampton at a family cabin. It’s about a 12.5 hour drive without stops

crank

Ahh, OK, I was wondering why you would bypass VT for NH. Conventional wisdom, according to me, says northern VT usually gets more snow than NH.

Check out Wildcat. Hit Loon on a weekday.

Imcdaniel

Ahh, OK, I was wondering why you would bypass VT for NH. Conventional wisdom, according to me, says northern VT usually gets more snow than NH.

Check out Wildcat. Hit Loon on a weekday.

I will keep that in mind thanks! And yes free lodging is a plus, that’s why we landed on NH. Does NH not get that much snow until February?

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I will keep that in mind thanks! And yes free lodging is a plus, that’s why we landed on NH. Does NH not get that much snow until February?
New Hampshire's mountains get a fair amount of snow (but typically less than the mountains in northern Vermont). However, by late February/early March it is at its deepest since it has been accumulating all winter (barring a major meltdown). In early January, it is still pretty early in the season for a deep base of snow to set up.

Jully

Is there any reason in particular that you are looking to ski Gunstock? It is not in the same league as BW, Cannon, or Loon. I'd recommend dropping Gunstock and replacing it with either Wildcat or potentially Burke in VT. Burke and Wildcat should both be about 90 minutes from where you are (30 minutes further from Bretton Woods).

Vermont gets more snow for sure, but by March everywhere will be 100% open or close to it. If you're really looking for powder days, VT would have a higher chance than NH, but you're likely not coming to New England chasing powder anyways.

Imcdaniel

Is there any reason in particular that you are looking to ski Gunstock? It is not in the same league as BW, Cannon, or Loon. I'd recommend dropping Gunstock and replacing it with either Wildcat or potentially Burke in VT. Burke and Wildcat should both be about 90 minutes from where you are (30 minutes further from Bretton Woods).

Vermont gets more snow for sure, but by March everywhere will be 100% open or close to it. If you're really looking for powder days, VT would have a higher chance than NH, but you're likely not coming to New England chasing powder anyways.

Honestly, we were just looking at some of the mountains close to us as potentials to ski during our trip. If there are some “must ski” mountains not to much farther we may heavily consider them.

In regards to conditions, it seems as though March is the right time according to you guys, as our priority is to have the highest number of trails open as possible. Skiing must really not be that fun in January then!

cdskier

In regards to conditions, it seems as though March is the right time according to you guys, as our priority is to have the highest number of trails open as possible. Skiing must really not be that fun in January then!

January is still fun...but if you can only pick one time to make a trip, then March is "usually" the better choice. That doesn't mean you can't have all trails open and fresh snow in January. You're just historically speaking more likely to have a deeper base with more trails open in March.

2Planker

In March, I'd def hit WildCat and Bretton Woods. Cannon would be next on my list but it's a haul from BW & The Cat

I'd def stay away from Loon and Gunstock based on crowds and conditions being better further north