• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need Recommendation For Intermediate/Expert New Skis (older models)

M

munch9000

I'm due for a new pair of skis and while fishing around various message boards I had seen some people recommend getting a pair of Head XP 60s from 2 seasons ago on ebay. I found them, but not in my size....so I am looking for any other recommendations that I might be able to find new on ebay from a season or two ago instead of shelling out $700-800 at the local ski shop.

I have been skiing for most of my life (I'm 22 now). Almost all in the northeast. Mostly groomed trails but I like the occasional moguls or trees to keep things interesting.

Ideas/Suggestions?

ctenidae

I'm sort of in the same boat. I've heard Bandits, either B1 or B2 recommended as a good all-purpose ski. Not so sure about that, though.
(I'm on Dynastar SkiCross 7's now. I like them, but I'm outgrowing them quickly. This is 90% the last season (second) on them.)

57stevey

Atomic 9.22/R:9 (my ride) is a versatile mid-fat like the Bandit... if you want something turnier like the XP-60, Fischer Sceneo 400 is a fun ski.

RossiSkier

Inexpensive Mid-Fat - Rossignol RPM 21 (Bandit XX)

110-74-100 - MID-FAT; 21M Radius at 184

Lots of these new 2003 models floating around EBAY at a cost of between $125 and $150. Very inexpensive. It is the equivalent of the Bandit XX without the high price. It is a fabulous crud buster and with the fat mid and tips you can float on high snow. These Ebay skis come in the shrink wrap with no bindings so I would get a pair of Pro 120's or 140's to mount on the ski's XPULSION riser plate. Total cost with mounting shouldn't $300.

Here are two auctions for an RPM 21

at 177cm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21245&item=7128819037&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

at 184cm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21245&item=7128819063&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

CHICKEN SKIS ROCK

P.S. I could not find the forementioned Atomic and Fischer models for sale new, but there are some of these models used available.

powers

The RPM's are a great do everything ski. The shape of an XX with the construction of a race ski. Maybe too much energy for a light skier in the woods but rides great everywhere on the mountain. And, for under $150, thats a smokin' deal. P.S. - the "21" stands for the volume of snow displaced by a particular size, like surf boards I guess. Thats what the NE rep. told me anyway.