• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Guns for Cannon

Puck it

It is about time!!!!

Thirty-two HKD LowE tower guns and 100 portable snow guns, estimated to cost $239,000

And other items. Nothing on the Cannonball specifically though.

A replacement for the Peabody Express haul rope is a $150,000 item in the plan. Documents suggest that the current haul rope has exceeded its expected life. Councilors were informed that the rope would not pass inspection, which is slated for Fall 2013.

Of the current rope, DeVivo said, "It's not unsafe," but a replacement is necessary for what he called "our primary lift."

Several water and electrical system improvements are additional parts of the capital improvement plan. This includes new electrical service. The main base area's primary electrical infrastructure was installed 40 years ago. It was slated for a 30-year life span.

Peak winter demand has strained Cannon's water systems. The Executive Council was informed that the efficiency of water delivery to sinks and toilets "is poor at best." The capital plan estimates a $45,000 cost to improve overall water delivery performance.

In total, the water and electrical expenditures amount to $167,000. This includes a new $15,000 auxiliary power source for the aerial tramway, which is beyond the recommended 20-year lifespan

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wonder if they'll rent better compressors to pump out snow a bit quicker. I didn't make it to Cannon last season, but lots of folks mentioned how slow they were to expand terrain early season last year.

Puck it

Wonder if they'll rent better compressors to pump out snow a bit quicker. I didn't make it to Cannon last season, but lots of folks mentioned how slow they were to expand terrain early season last year.

I was one of them. They should require less air with the new guns.

You need come up! Another Ewok summit might be good!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'll be there at least once this season, hopefully more. Just bought the Fox44 ski card. Includes a Cannon voucher.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Compressors? Who needs compressors? Just get some inmates to blow really hard. ;)

And I bet that they "overpaid" for those snowguns.

(This message brought to you by TaxpayersforCannon.com)

;)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Those guns cost $239 grand man.......that's about 15 cents a piece of for my wife and I.

Totally irresponsible expenditure by a State operated business following a 2013 $76M state budget surplus and running $27M ahead so far in fiscal 2014.

;)

Puck it

He who shall remain nameless has been very quiet. His site is only updated every couple months.

drjeff

He who shall remain nameless has been very quiet. His site is only updated every couple months.

I'm sure that in light of the announcement, the nameless person is just crunching the data in a way that statistically will make for a good 10 page or so rant about it! ;)

Edd

Those guns cost $239 grand man.......that's about 15 cents a piece of for my wife and I.
;)

That's equivalent to 1 bite of a bacon pancake at Poppers buddy. These snow guns are robbing me of my freedoms!!

Poor guy isn't even posting and he's getting argued with.

thetrailboss

Staff member

I'll bet that the erosion damage from the work will be devastating; however, the ongoing government conspiracy to cover up the damage by preventing hikers from accessing the trails will keep this revelation from seeing the light of day ;)

SIKSKIER

Ok,I'll be Dougie downer.I don't think these guns are a great choice for a lot of Cannon terrain.They are really great in wide open and more importantly,calm wind situations.This eliminates a lot of Cannon.The wide and open slopes of most Zoomer trails is a great example.The tower guns they have switched to the last 10 years don't cover 1/2 the trails in calm conditions.As most of us know calm and Cannon are not words that are generally synonomys.I've watched too many times in windy conditions these tower guns blowing snow down to I-93 instead of on the trails or most commonly right back in the woods.IMO the ground mounted whale making guns have always looked like the most effective way to make snow at Cannon.JMO

Puck it

Ok,I'll be Dougie downer.I don't think these guns are a great choice for a lot of Cannon terrain.They are really great in wide open and more importantly,calm wind situations.This eliminates a lot of Cannon.The wide and open slopes of most Zoomer trails is a great example.The tower guns they have switched to the last 10 years don't cover 1/2 the trails in calm conditions.As most of us know calm and Cannon are not words that are generally synonomys.I've watched too many times in windy conditions these tower guns blowing snow down to I-93 instead of on the trails or most commonly right back in the woods.IMO the ground mounted whale making guns have always looked like the most effective way to make snow at Cannon.JMO

I agree totally. They bought 100 portable guns though and these are probably the newer tech then their current guns. I would think the tower guns will be mounted in high traffic areas for quick turn on.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com

But that's how they get the woods off Upper Cannon to be so skiable!

SIKSKIER

It is about time!!!!

Thirty-two HKD LowE tower guns and 100 portable snow guns, estimated to cost $239,000

And other items. Nothing on the Cannonball specifically though.

A replacement for the Peabody Express haul rope is a $150,000 item in the plan. Documents suggest that the current haul rope has exceeded its expected life. Councilors were informed that the rope would not pass inspection, which is slated for Fall 2013.

Of the current rope, DeVivo said, "It's not unsafe," but a replacement is necessary for what he called "our primary lift."

Several water and electrical system improvements are additional parts of the capital improvement plan. This includes new electrical service. The main base area's primary electrical infrastructure was installed 40 years ago. It was slated for a 30-year life span.

Peak winter demand has strained Cannon's water systems. The Executive Council was informed that the efficiency of water delivery to sinks and toilets "is poor at best." The capital plan estimates a $45,000 cost to improve overall water delivery performance.

In total, the water and electrical expenditures amount to $167,000. This includes a new $15,000 auxiliary power source for the aerial tramway, which is beyond the recommended 20-year lifespan
Wondering where you found this Puck?