• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Tram Future

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
i stayed up in franconia for a weekend last winter. i arrived pretty late on Friday and gassed up before getting to the motel so i could get an early start the next morning. the gas station felt weird. just a vibe. the next day i passed by and in the daylight realized it was the alien abduction gas station - https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/betty-barney-hill-memorials

LmpwZw.jpg
Maybe they'd sell my t-shirt there?

outta-this-world-unisex-ultra-cotton-tee.jpeg

BodeMiller1

Okay, now the gas station is a bit odd. It's a tribute to an alien abduction (not the good kind). Thinking 1950's.
The nice thing is you can get gas, beer and visit the bear burial ground at Clark's Bears. So, yea don't ski off a cliff I guess is the moral of this tall tail.

edit: The bears are friendly, at first they weren't so much.
I call the big one Bitey

KustyTheKlown

it was 1961, the story is in the link i posted, and also here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barney_and_Betty_Hill

According to a variety of reports given by the Hills, the alleged UFO sighting happened about 10:30 p.m. Sept. 19, 1961. The Hills were driving back to Portsmouth from a vacation in Niagara Falls and Montreal. Just south of Lancaster, New Hampshire, Betty claimed to have observed a bright point of light in the sky that moved from below the moon and the planet Jupiter, upward to the west of the moon. While Barney navigated U.S. Route 3, Betty reasoned that she was observing a falling star, only it moved upward.[8] Because it moved erratically and grew bigger and brighter, Betty urged Barney to stop the car for a closer look, as well as to walk their dog, Delsey. Barney stopped at a scenic picnic area just south of Twin Mountain.[9]

Betty, looking through binoculars, observed an "odd-shaped" craft flashing multicolored lights travel across the face of the moon.[10] Because her sister had several years earlier said she had seen a flying saucer, Betty thought it might be what she was observing. Through binoculars, Barney observed what he reasoned was a commercial airliner traveling toward Vermont on its way to Montreal. However, he soon changed his mind, because without looking as if it had turned, the craft rapidly descended in his direction. This observation caused Barney to realize, "this object that was a plane was not a plane."[11] They quickly returned to the car and drove toward Franconia Notch, a narrow, mountainous stretch of the road.

The Hills said they continued driving on the isolated road, moving very slowly through Franconia Notch in order to observe the object as it came even closer. At one point, the object passed above a restaurant and signal tower on top of Cannon Mountain and came out near the Old Man of the Mountain. Betty testified that it was at least one and a half times the length of the granite cliff profile, which was 40 feet (12 m) long, and that it seemed to be rotating. The couple watched as the silent, illuminated craft moved erratically and bounced back and forth in the night sky.[12]

About one mile south of Indian Head, they said, the object rapidly descended toward their vehicle, causing Barney to stop in the middle of the highway. The huge, silent craft hovered about 80 to 100 feet (24 to 30 m) above the Hills' 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air and filled the entire field of view in the windshield. It reminded Barney of a huge pancake. Carrying his pistol in his pocket, he stepped away from the vehicle and moved closer to the object. Using the binoculars, Barney claimed to have seen eight to eleven humanoid figures, who were peering out of the craft's windows, seeming to look at him. In unison, all but one figure moved to what appeared to be a panel on the rear wall of the hallway that encircled the front portion of the craft. The one remaining figure continued to look at Barney and communicated a message telling him to "stay where you are and keep looking." Barney had a recollection of observing the humanoid forms wearing glossy black uniforms and black caps. Red lights on what appeared to be bat-wing fins began to telescope out of the sides of the craft, and a long structure descended from the bottom of the craft. The silent craft approached to what Barney estimated was within 50 to 80 feet (15 to 24 m) overhead and 300 feet (91 m) away from him. On Oct. 21, 1961, Barney reported to National Investigations Committee On Aerial Phenomena (NICAP) investigator Walter Webb that the "beings were somehow not human."[13]

Barney "tore" the binoculars away from his eyes and ran back to his car. In a near-hysterical state, he told Betty, "They're going to capture us!"[14] He saw the object again shift its location to directly above the vehicle. He drove away as fast as he could, telling Betty to look for the object. She rolled down the window and looked up. Almost immediately, the Hills heard a rhythmic series of beeping or buzzing sounds, which they said seemed to bounce off the trunk of their vehicle. The car vibrated and a tingling sensation passed through the Hills' bodies. The Hills said that then they experienced the onset of an altered state of consciousness that left their minds dulled. A second series of beeping or buzzing sounds returned the couple to full consciousness. They found that they had traveled nearly 35 miles (56 km) south, but had only vague, spotty memories of this section of road. They recalled making a sudden, sharp unplanned turn, encountering a roadblock, and observing a fiery orb in the road.

Immediate aftermath[edit]​

Arriving home at about dawn, the Hills assert that they had some odd sensations and impulses they could not readily explain: Betty insisted their luggage be kept near the back door rather than in the main part of the house. Their watches would never work again. Barney said that the leather strap for the binoculars was torn, though he could not recall it tearing. The toes of his best dress shoes were scraped. Barney says he was compelled to examine his genitals in the bathroom, though he found nothing unusual. They took long showers to remove possible contamination and each drew a picture of what they had observed.[15]

Perplexed, the Hills say they tried to reconstruct the chronology of events as they witnessed the UFO and drove home. But immediately after they heard the buzzing sounds, their memories became incomplete and fragmented.[16] After sleeping for a few hours, Betty awoke and placed the shoes and clothing she had worn during the drive into her closet, observing that the dress was torn at the hem, zipper and lining. Later, when she retrieved the items from her closet, she noted a pinkish powder on her dress. She hung the dress on her clothesline and the pink powder blew away, but the dress was irreparably damaged. She threw it away, but then changed her mind, retrieved the dress and hung it in her closet. Over the years, five laboratories have conducted chemical and forensic analyses on the dress.[17]

There were shiny, concentric circles on their car's trunk that had not been there the previous day. Betty and Barney experimented with a compass, noting that when they moved it close to the spots, the needle would whirl rapidly. But when they moved it a few inches away from the shiny spots, it would drop down.

Granite1

Here's the southeast ski route off Cannon to Lafayette Place Campground.

Attachments

• IMG_3712.JPG
    IMG_3712.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3713.JPG
    IMG_3713.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 33

BodeMiller1

The more things change the more they stay the same.
umm, GO Wildcats?
This may have been the U.N.H. Logo. Looks like a dead cat? The Plot thickens...

Think Snow
What is the “good kind” of alien abduction ? When they take you to the Planet of Women ?
They'd drop me off on the top of Sugarloaf while it's puking snow. There is no Women Planet, that's crazy talk. (plus I'd feel out numbered)

Attachments

• UNH.png
    UNH.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 0

BodeMiller1

Here's the southeast ski route off Cannon to Lafayette Place Campground.
Okay, this is the one that you need to carry speed to make it over the saddle. On the other side there's a ladder to climb down when it gets sketchy. Good things the bears are asleep when this is done.

Puck it

Okay, this is the one that you need to carry speed to make it over the saddle. On the other side there's a ladder to climb down when it gets sketchy. Good things the bears are asleep when this is done.
No it is not even close. The ladder is on Coppermine I believe. Over the saddle is Tuckerbrook.

BodeMiller1

There are a few ladders on Cannon. Seriously, does anyone know how the MT got its name. I've heard a few different stories. I doubt if it's a Indian name.

BodeMiller1

I was chatting with a guy one day and he said some of the locals go of the south. This is when you need to know the mountain. The neat thing about that side (no I never skied it) is the ice flows and rocks must move a lot. I usually ski by myself, so yea I'd need a MASH unit w/ me. Now that I'm as old as the hills I try to ski in control.