• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Helmet Law - New York ?

loafer89

Not skiing related, but I love how here in Connecticut all people riding on a motorcycle over the age of 18 do not need a helmet, but I have to wear a seatbelt in my car surrounded by 4,00lbs of steel + airbags. That make a lot of sense to me, NOT.

skiNEwhere

Not skiing related, but I love how here in Connecticut all people riding on a motorcycle over the age of 18 do not need a helmet, but I have to wear a seatbelt in my car surrounded by 4,00lbs of steel + airbags. That make a lot of sense to me, NOT.

I've always found that to be quite ironic as well. Same deal in Colorado.

skiNEwhere

NH is definitely the only state that doesn't have a seatbelt law. Live free or die!

skiNEwhere

Yessir. I'll likely be skiing it for the next few months. Absolutely terrible skiing, but it is skiing (think: sun cupped moguls). There's a TR floating around this site somewhere

deadheadskier

Staff member
Which is why untold thousands of New Hampshire citizens needlessly die on the highways and ski slopes each year.

My comment was about cars and motorcycles; and yes, we have plenty of people dying in automotive and motorcycle accidents that probably would have survived had they taken proper safety precautions.

As it's the start of bike week in Laconia I'm sure we will read about a few in the next ten days. There's been one already although it hasn't been revealed if the deceased was wearing a helmet. Given the vast majority of riders don't during bike week, I'm going to guess no.

In the medical field motorcyclists who ride without helmets are referred to as"organ donors." Same could be said of those who choose not to wear seatbelts.

Cornhead

I read somewhere that a motorcycle helmet basically protects you as if the bike were stationary, it fell over, and you hit your head. If your head strikes anything while moving, it probably doesn't matter if you're wearing a helmet, or not. That being said, I don't think I'd ride without one. Grinding your face off on the pavement doesn't sound like fun either.

dlague

I noticed your location, have you summer skied on Saint Mary's Glacier?

Yessir. I'll likely be skiing it for the next few months. Absolutely terrible skiing, but it is skiing (think: sun cupped moguls). There's a TR floating around this site somewhere

Hmmmm - get's me thinking! Just looked it up and it is not that far from CS.

loafer89

I looks more like a snowfield than a glacier, especially near the end of the summer melt season. Have you skied any other glaciers I Colorado like Taylor Glacier?

loafer89

I wear my seatbelt religiously even for short trips down the street. It just irk's me that there is no law for folks on bikes to wear helmets past age 18 in Connecticut.

BenedictGomez

I read somewhere that a motorcycle helmet basically protects you as if the bike were stationary, it fell over, and you hit your head. If your head strikes anything while moving, it probably doesn't matter if you're wearing a helmet, or not. That being said, I don't think I'd ride without one. Grinding your face off on the pavement doesn't sound like fun either.

It appears you're right....

Helmets are estimated to be 37 percent effective in preventing fatal injuries for motorcycle riders

That said, it's better to have a 37% chance at survival than no chance at survival. lol

http://www.iii.org/issue-update/motorcycle-crashes

Cornhead

It appears you're right....

That said, it's better to have a 37% chance at survival than no chance at survival. lol

http://www.iii.org/issue-update/motorcycle-crashes

Ha, same 37% less likelyhood of fatal crashes for bikes with antilock brakes. I always thought ABS seems more useful on a bike than a car, you don't loose control, at least as much control, or go over your front wheels, if you lock up your brakes in a car.

I've never had a motorcycle with ABS, but I know it'd be a big plus to be able to grab the brakes hard and maintain control. I was warned by the local Harley dealership to be careful with the 96 Buell Lighting I bought used, they said people were flipping them over when they first came out, 6 piston caliper in the front. Guess you'd be glad you had a helmet on then.

abc

37% is very significant. Whether it ends up putting you in a vegetated state instead of in the grave is not clear though.

That being said, I don't think I'd ride without one. Grinding your face off on the pavement doesn't sound like fun either.
I've had proved that scenario a couple times (bicycle, not motor) to be able to say I'm keeping my lid on my head.

Badly scratched glasses, badly scratched and partially crushed helmet. Relatively minor facial laceration and intact nose/teeth.

Don't need a law though. I'm doing it on my own. I prefer others ADULTS be allowed to make their own choice.