• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Jackson Gore terrain

Vince

Tenney has that long long flat area half way down the mountain ala Haystack..................Anyone that reads about skiing in July is gonna think that Okemo is easy.................But on a good expert day I would take it over Mt Snow.

Tyrolean_skier

Tenney has that long long flat area half way down the mountain ala Haystack..................Anyone that reads about skiing in July is gonna think that Okemo is easy.................But on a good expert day I would take it over Mt Snow.

Is that because Okemo will be groomed better so your skiing will be less challenging?

tree_skier

What have you been smoking. Okemo over Snow on an expert day???????? If you want groomed low level intermediate cruisers sure go to okemo but for steep expert terrian Snow is second only to magic in southern VT and aurguably the best trees south of the Mad river valley.

Also Haystack doesn't have a long flat halfway down but a short uphill or short flat depending on trail.

deadheadskier

Staff member
What have you been smoking. Okemo over Snow on an expert day???????? If you want groomed low level intermediate cruisers sure go to okemo but for steep expert terrian Snow is second only to magic in southern VT and aurguably the best trees south of the Mad river valley.

While I won't deny that Mt. Snow has the superior expert terrain of the two.....isn't this kinda like arguing that a Scooter is faster than a Moped??? :lol:

Newpylong

While Mount Snow has made great strides since two years ago, if you want tons of cruisers Okemo is your place. That said, Okemo doesn't hold a candle to Mount Snow in terms of difficulty or interesting terrain such as trees. There really isn't a comparison to be made...

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ya'll keep talking trees about Mt. Snow. This must be off the map stuff correct? Not judging quality, just pure acreage and I haven't skied either place in ten years, but it appears to me that the on map tree acreage between the two areas is right about the same.

I still stand by my point. Yes, Mt Snow has more difficult terrain, but were talking about two fairly tame mountains here. If it wasn't for the North Face, I'd give Okemo the edge hands down for terrain variety. The Front Face cruising terrain of Snow is boring as hell. I'm not saying Okemo's is ultra exciting, but IMHO it's more interesting than Snows.

I can understand Sugarbush skiers, Jay skiers, Killington skiers, Stowe skiers et al ripping on Okemo for being novice and boring, but the way you Mount Snow loyalists are doing so is pretty humorous to me. I made the moped analogy earlier, now I'll make a football analogy; it's kinda like Arizona Cardinal Fans rippin on Cincinnati Benglas fans over the past twenty years. Mt. Snow may be a bit better due to some of the steeps in the North Face, but it's not THAT much better / more interesting a hill than Okemo.

Of course my opinion.

that all said, I certainly respect your home turf pride

Philpug

While I won't deny that Mt. Snow has the superior expert terrain of the two.....isn't this kinda like arguing that a Scooter is faster than a Moped??? :lol:

Now thats funny. Snow has Ripcord, as steep as anything in VT. Both do have some fun trees. Neither will be confused with MRG or Magic.

Vince

I concede that Ripcord and Plunge are steeper than anything at Okemo. To me the slow chair at Mount Snow is a huge negative. All the trails face north if does not soften up your screwed. Do they still have the whole area closed in the spring until it softens up????That was ASC so that might be unfair. If you go trail for trail after Rip Cord and Plunge they are the same. Big Bang = Jaws of Death etc. etc. On map glades the same...........At Okemo its all high speed quads. No putt putts. Different exposures and elevations ie different conditions. They usually have 5 or 6 seeded bump area's. All cruisers are easy but Okemo's are better...........Mount Snow I only know the on map stuff. At Okemo my 9998 friends have driven me to the trees to avoid the demolition derby. Okemo is open boundry to boundry, you can ski the trees between most trails on Jackson Gore, Solitude and South Face. Is it steep? NO and some spots are cleared more than others. But if your willing to take a few branches to the face you can find some good stuff.

Maybe my definition of " a better day of expert skiing" is different than other peoples. Yes I take Magic first is Southern Vermont. But I take Stratton over Mt Snow for many of the same reasons.

Has Haystack been on Nelsap a long time or a short time?

AdironRider

Noon in Early December....

HPIM0073.JPG

Whoa, untracked (most likely on a weekday) on a blue square at best. Im convinced.

Newpylong

Has nothing to do with being a Mount Snow loyalist... it's just opinion. "If it wasn't for the North Face" - Well, they do have the North Face, and mid-winter when it's all open there is enough there to keep most advanced skier or boarder happy for days.

That said, I don't consider anything at Okemo to be anymore exciting than any of the Main Face runs at Mount Snow with the exception of a few on the South Face at Okemo which I like. Other than that, every single run could be named the same because that is exactly how they ski.

Ya'll keep talking trees about Mt. Snow. This must be off the map stuff correct? Not judging quality, just pure acreage and I haven't skied either place in ten years, but it appears to me that the on map tree acreage between the two areas is right about the same.

I still stand by my point. Yes, Mt Snow has more difficult terrain, but were talking about two fairly tame mountains here. If it wasn't for the North Face, I'd give Okemo the edge hands down for terrain variety. The Front Face cruising terrain of Snow is boring as hell. I'm not saying Okemo's is ultra exciting, but IMHO it's more interesting than Snows.

I can understand Sugarbush skiers, Jay skiers, Killington skiers, Stowe skiers et al ripping on Okemo for being novice and boring, but the way you Mount Snow loyalists are doing so is pretty humorous to me. I made the moped analogy earlier, now I'll make a football analogy; it's kinda like Arizona Cardinal Fans rippin on Cincinnati Benglas fans over the past twenty years. Mt. Snow may be a bit better due to some of the steeps in the North Face, but it's not THAT much better / more interesting a hill than Okemo.

Of course my opinion.

that all said, I certainly respect your home turf pride