• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Saddleback trailmap....

cannonist

A few years ago, Saddleback presented many future lifts. Last year they were taken off the trail map. I was at the ski show today and noticed that some of the lifts have been placed back on the trail map. What can this mean?

1. Proposed Magalloway Chair Lift 5400'

2. Proposed West Bowl Chair Lift 3400'

3. Proposed False Peak Chair Lift 3000' (This surprised me considering the recent addition of Casablanca)

4. Proposed No Name Chair Lift 7500' (A combination of the two chairlifts that used to appear on the far left)

deadheadskier

Staff member
I noticed recently while looking at their website that they had removed all the 'Future Expansion Doubling our Size" jargon.

IMO - unless an expansion is a slamdunk within the next season, leave it off the map.

UVSHTSTRM

If you go to their website the trail map has all the proposed lifts.

UVSHTSTRM

I noticed recently while looking at their website that they had removed all the 'Future Expansion Doubling our Size" jargon.

IMO - unless an expansion is a slamdunk within the next season, leave it off the map.

+1

Tin Woodsman

3. Proposed False Peak Chair Lift 3000' (This surprised me considering the recent addition of Casablanca)
That area is so big, I don't think that a lift line would change anything significantly. The biggest impact of that lift would be the ability to easily get into Horn Bowl from the top. I wonder if they'd cut a traverse heading back towards the Kennebago Quad so you could lap some of those trails from this lift.

4. Proposed No Name Chair Lift 7500' (A combination of the two chairlifts that used to appear on the far left)
A much more sensible arrangement than they had previously proposed. Before they had a lower elevation lift serving flat terrain with a separate base area in the wilderness, plus a separate upper elevation lift. To have one single lift from the base accessing that peak between Saddleback proper and Horn Bowl would be fantastic. Ideally you'd be able to traverse over to Kennebago Station from there so that you have two distinct ways out of the base area, lessening pressure on the Rangeley lift.

tipsdown

That area is so big, I don't think that a lift line would change anything significantly. The biggest impact of that lift would be the ability to easily get into Horn Bowl from the top. I wonder if they'd cut a traverse heading back towards the Kennebago Quad so you could lap some of those trails from this lift.

A much more sensible arrangement than they had previously proposed. Before they had a lower elevation lift serving flat terrain with a separate base area in the wilderness, plus a separate upper elevation lift. To have one single lift from the base accessing that peak between Saddleback proper and Horn Bowl would be fantastic. Ideally you'd be able to traverse over to Kennebago Station from there so that you have two distinct ways out of the base area, lessening pressure on the Rangeley lift.

+1. This makes a lot more sense. The no name lift seems like a natural fit/layout. As you mentioned it would potentially open up terrrain off Saddleback proper into Horn Bowl and beyond. In terms of the traverse to Kennebego, that shoud be a no brainer. If you look at the topo map it really isn't even a traverse. There 's about a 400 ft. vertical drop from the top of the proposed lift to the Kennebego station. On a side note, it looks like they're trying to beef up their vertical drop a bit more with this lift....

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you go to their website the trail map has all the proposed lifts.

interesting, a few weeks ago it did not.

maybe their real estate division said, "Hey, what the heck are you doing. How are we supposed to market this place as the soon to be Vail of the east when you take all of your dotted red lines off the map"

cannonist

interesting, a few weeks ago it did not.

maybe their real estate division said, "Hey, what the heck are you doing. How are we supposed to market this place as the soon to be Vail of the east when you take all of your dotted red lines off the map"

I wonder how much of these plans will they actually be able to accomplish?

UVSHTSTRM

I wonder how much of these plans will they actually be able to accomplish?

Well, from what I have read, they are slowing down with their current plans. I think originally they were supposed to have added some more lifts this year or next and they will not....nothing official though....the base lodge was suppose to be expanded again this year, but I believe that was scrapped. Before anybody jumps down my throat, what I mention is nothing official, but rather from cruising various message boards and we no how suspect that stuff can be. Not sure if any of this has to do with financial struggles or just the realization that the ski industry is a fickle beast.

deadheadskier

Staff member
my uber skiing message board armchair quarterback opinion on Saddleback? ;)

Saddleback is as difficult or more to get to as the Loaf. I think their idea of doubling in size is foolish. I think a more appropriate goal for that mountain is to add maybe 20% more terrain, improve what they have and try and be profitable at 100-125K skier visits a year.

The 20% terrain increase probably should be intermediate skier focused as they already have awesome expert skiing off the Kennebago. However, they should keep it unique. I'm not sure what the West Bowl terrain is like, but if it's well suited to add a nice pod with a half dozen classic New England cruisers, I think it would be well received. If the No Name Peak or Magolaway areas are better suited, then do it there. Add that terrain expansion, replace the Rangeley Double with a HSQ, have an okay park, slowly build condo bed base and you've got yourself a nice, unique little area that probably can sustain itself well.

We are a society of convenience and instant gratification. Northern Maine is that for very few. I kind of look at Sugarloaf's Burnt Mountain Expansion plans as a submission that they really can't expect to increase their skier visits by much, but they can improve the product and enhance their uniqueness enough to keep a sustainable amount of Loafers coming back. I really think that if Sugarloaf was an hour closer to Boston, Burnt would see a couple of High Speed Quads and another 20 Kings Landing type runs.

Saddleback should have a similarly conservative and realistic approach to their expansion plans.