• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New storm on the way

KustyTheKlown

so stoked about the wasatch situation even if they are saying its dense and avalanchey. surely they will have time to blast and stabilize and it will be sweet for me.

Zand

"Maximum Security Interlodge" at Alta, whatever that means.

Iron Blosan had to evacuate all north facing rooms. Holy shit.

GregoryIsaacs

so stoked about the wasatch situation even if they are saying its dense and avalanchey. surely they will have time to blast and stabilize and it will be sweet for me.

Hoping to be pleasantly surprised by their definition of "dense".

KustyTheKlown

yea thats what i am thinking. i doubt it will be sierra dense. and by our standards it will prob be super chill.

and colorado friends think they can make it today via the wyoming 80 route.

Last edited:

FBGM

yea thats what i am thinking. i doubt it will be sierra dense. and by our standards it will prob be super chill.

and colorado friends think they can make it today via the wyoming 80 route.

It’s Sierra or East Coast dense. For sure. It’s a wack storm.

80 in Wyoming is probably fucked from wind more then snow. Winds have been sustained at high levels past 48 hours.

If you’re trying to ski today go north. Might have better snow and luck at Snowbasin or PowMow. Sunday LCC might be a tad less junk show. Tomorrow is shaping up to be a 3hr drive from city to Alta type day if you hit it wrong. Or try to go stay up at ski areas tonight. They should have LCC open by evening maybe???

KustyTheKlown

i land at 11 pm tonight, hotel in sugar house, will wake up at 4:30 and drive up LCC in the morning. could do BCC or deer valley if LCC is still a mess. but my hope is to hit alta or bird tomorrow asap.

FBGM

Maybe ya know maybe not but for whatever it’s worth to ya keep eye on UDot - they may do a morning closure on LCC - you can wake up and beat it early like you might be planning on - that would be best case.

My biggest concern for tomorrow at resorts is they are gonna struggle to get terrain open. Still currently snowing at 1+” an hour of glop. With limited peeps up there and inter lodge they might not have even really started in bounds mitigation.

Regardless of mass crowds lack of terrain - shit will be an experience for sure. Not sure how snow smart ya are but tomorrow is a 100% full Avy gear in bounds day in my book. To much bad stuff this year. Don’t want to be a statistic. Don’t care how big of a cock I am on here - would never want to see anyone be a statistic in crazy conditions.

KustyTheKlown

i actually tend to like your posts and respect your opinions. especially since i can be a snarky dickhead myself on here.

i have avy kit packed and will ski with it

Zand

Teton Village parking was full at 9:30. Upper Mountain lifts opened at 9:45 so the people in the tram line were there for nearly 3 hours. Not sure if I'm sad I got pushed back to next week or glad I'm not dealing with that kind of crowd.

kingslug

Pretty much every day here in st anton was avy gear day..level 3 and 4 the whole week..
Never skid through so much avi debris

BenedictGomez

Hoping to be pleasantly surprised by their definition of "dense".

They got over a foot of powder followed by over a foot of cement. Pretty much the absolute worst-case scenario for avalanche fear/danger. Wouldn't shock me if they're closed tomorrow as well.

BenedictGomez

If not we got real beer now to ease the pain.

FACT CHECK: False

You cant even brew a proper IPA at 5%.

EDIT: And for people like me with home systems, it's mindbogglingly idiotic that having a keg in the privacy of your own home is illegal in Utah.

BenedictGomez

Just saw some pics from fam who live about 20 minutes to Smuggs, they have about 5 inches down & it's still dumping.

bdfreetuna

I've been watching Smuggs, Bolton, Jay, & MRG webcams today. Looks like most places up there the mix (which appeared to be sleet with some snow mixed in) turned into full snow some time mid-morning. Now it's dumping everywhere up there.

Since I'm going up to Smuggs and MRG (or Jay if it's better) for Tues - Wednesday I'm keeping a close eye on the Monday situation. Looks like it peaks above freezing for a tad but probably a mostly few inches of snow event.

I assume it's going to be some pretty damn good skiing though, especially if I swap MRG or Smuggs for a day at Jay.

Now if I can avoid infecting my wife and kid with this damn sneezy cold before the trip...

millerm277

Switched over to all snow (and coming down fast, for now at least) around 2pm at about 500' elevation in the Hanover area.

Morning was an unpleasant mess, though.

VTKilarney

In my corner of the Northeast Kingdom this storm didn't live up to expectations. We got lots of wet rain, snow and slush. The dry snow on the backside didn't last long. Overall we got about 6 inches of mostly wet snow.

A buddy a couple of towns over reports much better snow - so it appears to be pretty regional.