• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New storm on the way

KustyTheKlown

i am stumped on what my best option is this weekend

wanna use mad river/burke champlain valley card, but it seems the fri>sat storm will be more of a NY and SoVT thing.

could do magic, but we'll be there 3/21 weekend and i want to use the 4 pack then

kinda need to avoid ikon vermont days and save the remainder for weekends with girlfriend, who isnt coming this weekend.

stumped.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
i am stumped on what my best option is this weekend

The couch lol. Sunday will be a nice spring day. Saturday will be the definition of dust-on-crust.

Still waiting on reports from today but I'm sure the rain last night didn't melt much but made things pretty glacial? Killington has a lot of stuff closed that has coverage- Superstar, Cascade, Dipper...methinks it's solid rock right now.

KustyTheKlown

yea i know staying home should be an option, but i'm loathe to do that unless its actively raining. in 3 months i wont be able to ski and would regret skipping.

slatham

Assuming nobody gets lucky with a lake effect band, or a band from the inverted trough off the coastal low (which is fading and looking more like Cats than NE), its firm and fast groomers on Saturday and spring again on Sunday.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I know it's very bad of me but the GFS keeps pointing to a BIG storm mid next week. That's what I'm watching.

Might go to Catamount tomorrow. 45 degrees and sun. Their conditions report says "spring" rather than "groomed" on a handful of trails they traditionally let bump up so maybe that means it's bumps...

Smellytele

Have to pick my son up in VT for spring break. May hit the bush with my skivt 4 pack (now 3 pack as used 1 at Stowe last friday and it paid for itself with 30” of powder).
Was tossing it up between bush and MRG but thinking might save MRG for a spring day or at least a softer day.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JimG.

Staff member
yea i know staying home should be an option, but i'm loathe to do that unless its actively raining. in 3 months i wont be able to ski and would regret skipping.

I missed last weekend because I was in western NY visiting some of the colleges my youngest son has been accepted to. Also visited my middle son in Ithaca and met his girlfriend for the first time.

As much as I love my sons and enjoy spending this time with them (time I can never repeat and would hate to miss) I regret missing out on Whiteface and Gore which is where I would have been otherwise.

slatham

I know it's very bad of me but the GFS keeps pointing to a BIG storm mid next week. That's what I'm watching.

Might go to Catamount tomorrow. 45 degrees and sun. Their conditions report says "spring" rather than "groomed" on a handful of trails they traditionally let bump up so maybe that means it's bumps...

There is ALWAYS a big storm next week on the GFS!

KustyTheKlown

whiteface was ridiculous on saturday. waist deep on the summit liftline.

gore was fun on sunday. less snow but almost everything open and in play. they closed the burnt ridge glades and i have no idea why (i ducked them to find out for myself). only thing i can suspect is that patrol didnt want to deal with clearing/sweeping them, which is pretty damn weak. a few exposed spots down low but completely and enjoyable skiable

they opened the gondola at 8:30, but had the routes down to straight brook and the other chair over there closed. i figured they would open them at 9, and i wanted to get to the top ASAP, so i popped into pinebrook glade by following a well tracked but unmarked woods entrance off of ruby run. wound up down at the chair which was still very closed. encountered 4 patrollers. the first two were together and were nice to me after i explained my mistake and clarified that i didnt duck any ropes, but they made me wait for the lift to open. the next patroller to come by was an absolute asshole, threatened pulling my pass, said "stay there, dont move" as if he was going to get a higher authority. ok asshole. last guy was super nice, i explained my situation, he called his boss, and then he took me back to the summit so i could continue my ski day.

i didnt realize there was an actual cave in cave glades. i would have explored but some kids were there and i felt weird approaching while they were in the cave.

skied the narrows glade for the first time. really liked it.

gore is awesome for short tree runs.

KustyTheKlown

lol sorry. mainly curious for your thoughts as a gore regular on why they would close the burnt ridge glades, especially when their snow report said 100%

KustyTheKlown

Picture of Gore and Whiteface
Glad u got it while it was excellent

We were so busy skiing pow we didn’t take pics of each other skiing at WF. And I was solo at gore. But here’s a few snaps:

Pow under Summit Chair
IMG_1727.jpg

Whiteface from Little Whiteface
IMG_1730.jpg

Gore glade
IMG_1733.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone