• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New to forum

JayC

I just found this site and joined up - avid skier since middle school, so I've been sliding down snow covered slopes for 35ish years. I rode a snowboard for 7-8 years from the mid-90's until about 10 years ago, then switched back to skis. High-speed snowboard falls are way too unforgiving on our Northeast concrete-like terrain, although there really is nothing like riding power on a snowboard. Unfortunately, there is almost never powder... I like to ski fast, hard, and primarily favor ripping zipper lines in the moguls and LOVE the 100 footers in the snowboard parks. Unfortunately, my body isn't as aggressive as my mind, and I've never been one for prophylactic exercise, so the bumps and jumps have taken their toll. I switched over to telemark for this season, so I'm learning a new sport - very exciting, and my orthopedic surgeon is also excited about it - apparently the buzz in the orthopedic community is that tele is the best of the winter sports that you can do if you have crappy knees (I just had the 4th surgery on my right knee last week in October, but it's feeling pretty good, albeit a little puffy). I hit opening day at Crotched two weeks ago on my teles, and did both days there last weekend. I started to really get the tele technique toward the end of my 3rd day and started sticking solid and good-looking comfortable turns, so I think this will be a really fun season. I can't wait to start tearing up bumps on the teles. I try to get out every weekend, so if you're visiting Crotched, I'll be the older guy who looks way too fat to be on a Telemark rig.

fbrissette

I just found this site and joined up - avid skier since middle school, so I've been sliding down snow covered slopes for 35ish years. I rode a snowboard for 7-8 years from the mid-90's until about 10 years ago, then switched back to skis. High-speed snowboard falls are way too unforgiving on our Northeast concrete-like terrain, although there really is nothing like riding power on a snowboard. Unfortunately, there is almost never powder... I like to ski fast, hard, and primarily favor ripping zipper lines in the moguls and LOVE the 100 footers in the snowboard parks. Unfortunately, my body isn't as aggressive as my mind, and I've never been one for prophylactic exercise, so the bumps and jumps have taken their toll. I switched over to telemark for this season, so I'm learning a new sport - very exciting, and my orthopedic surgeon is also excited about it - apparently the buzz in the orthopedic community is that tele is the best of the winter sports that you can do if you have crappy knees (I just had the 4th surgery on my right knee last week in October, but it's feeling pretty good, albeit a little puffy). I hit opening day at Crotched two weeks ago on my teles, and did both days there last weekend. I started to really get the tele technique toward the end of my 3rd day and started sticking solid and good-looking comfortable turns, so I think this will be a really fun season. I can't wait to start tearing up bumps on the teles. I try to get out every weekend, so if you're visiting Crotched, I'll be the older guy who looks way too fat to be on a Telemark rig.

Welcome ! Even though I've been on this forum for less than 2 years, I can say you'll find that it is a great place to hang. A little opinionated sometimes but mostly civil and funny. The weather forum has lots of good info.

Huck_It_Baby

... my orthopedic surgeon is also excited about it - apparently the buzz in the orthopedic community is that tele is the best of the winter sports that you can do if you have crappy knees (I just had the 4th surgery on my right knee last week in October, but it's feeling pretty good, albeit a little puffy).

That is really interesting because I had always assumed tele would be harder on your knees.

Huck_It_Baby

Well why they say it is easier is when a wipe out occurs there is more give in the gear. With the heal not being locked down there are less injuries to the knees.

Thats a good point and the same thing my GF explained. I have watched tele skiers and it just seemed like the position while turning would stressed the knee but I guess it's more on the quad.

JayC

That is really interesting because I had always assumed tele would be harder on your knees.

There is much less pounding with tele, and lots more quad work. The buildup of extra muscle around the knee is good for it, as well as the general lack of impacts every turn.