• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

news about pedxing...

Greg

Staff member
Oh man. pedxing has been a long time member (since July of 2001). My prayers are with you for a speedy and full recovery.

pepsi

I never met Ped in person but his accounts of his trips, especially this past summers week on the AT were some of the best I've ever read and I was looking forward to doing a portion of the Long Trail with him this summer.
I hope he is able to recover and get back out there soon.

Our prayers are with you Ped.

SilentCal

He was thinking of doing the Long Trail this summer and I exchanged some posts with him about car spots and rides from the Trail. I , too, enjoyed his posts and hiking reports. It looks like he will be in the hospital for quite awhile.
Our Prayers are with him and his family.

MtnMagic

Burns of 50% and up are difficult to survive, let alone to recover. It hits home as I had burns over 62%.

My thoughts and prayers are with you Pedxing.

twigeater

Website
community.webshots.com
The latest info from skiracer at thebackpacker.com:

"Hi everyone. I just recieved an e-mail from Ellen that I will post below. I will also post this on a couple of the other Pedxing threads so that all will see it. It gives information on how/where to donate to David.

"I spoke to a very kind accountant who happily gave me advice for free. He said I should go ahead and set up a savings account on behalf of David, and so if anyone is so inclined, they can send checks to David at 15 Beech Street, Cambridge, MA 02140. Whatever is not used I am expecting will be donated to the Burn Unit at Mass General Hospital, but that will be for David to decide once he is talking.

As for his prognosis, I am not going to give daily updates since this really is a roller coaster ride and whomever one speaks to causes more grief or less, more hope or less. Simply put, he is "touch and go" until he is out of the ICU, the duration of which cannot be predicted. This from his surgeon, one of the best in the country.

I wish I could leave you with some positive news about David's health. I spoke with a local reporter about what a hero he is. She asked if I was surprised; I said no.

Thanks again for all your concern and support.

Ellen"

Bootm line- anyone that would like to make contributions should make them payable to David Vogel and send them to:

David Vogel
15 Beech Street
Cambridge, MA 02140

However you send positive energy to anothererson and their family, whether it be through thoughts, prayers, chants...whatever...keep them going."
skiracer
02:35:31 PM
02/20/04

Frodo

This is one of those horrible things that happens to people, but usually to people you have never met. David has been a huge part of the Flags on the 48 event we have run for the past 2 years (he volunteered for N. Hancock both years). I had the pleasure of meeting him during our FOT48 2002 at the Woodstock Inn. He might have told me why he chose N. Hancock (I think it might have been because he used to hike it with his son), but I honestly don't remember. What I do remember is his dedication to his family, and his passion for hiking... We need to do something special for him on N. Hancock this year. Keep his tradition going...

My thoughts and prayers are with David and his family during these difficult days...

Life can be so unpredictable...

Max

I hiked with David last Saturday and ate lunch with him at the Mooseland afterwards...2 days before the fire. A quiet guy, but had some really nice things to say about everyone. I was impressed with his confidence and the way he enjoyed the day and meeting new friends. Good guy to have along on a hike. I am devasted with this news and the prayers from Patti and me go out to him and his family every day.

Little Bear

I, too, hiked with David for the first time two days before the fire. We came down off Pierce by the hut, and the trail wasn't broken out and he was first and kept sliding on his butt. We laughed quite a bit about that. He struck me as a really good sport. I wanted to bag Jackson as well that day, and if David hadn't agreed to go with me, I wouldn't have done it. (the rest of my group decided that Pierce was enough). He was a great hiking companion, and helped break trail and route finding between Pierce and Jackson. I think I may have worn him out, though, cause at Mooseland he practically fell asleep in his plate :lol:

When I heard the news on Tuesday, I was STUNNED! My thoughts and prayers are with David and his family as they go through this incredibly difficult time in their lives. David has a long road ahead of him..... I don't know him well, but if anyone can do it, he can. How could he not, with all of these good thoughts and incredible support from the hiking community?

SilentCal

Wow! Good news to hear that he is doing better. We should get something together at our flags meeting to send to him. Encouragement at any time during his recovery will lift his spirits tremendously!