• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Next Two Weeks...

It looks like Northern Vermont got spared any rain or warmth..snowing at Stowe and Mad River Glen right now..

It just cooled off from 54 to 52 degrees here..6 straight hours in the 50s..the snowpack was nice while it lasted..anything left will freeze solid with overnight temperatures in the 20s..

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
We did get some r*** on the valley floor up here, but MRG said it was all snow (only about 1-2 wet inches, but still) on the mountain. I'm really crossing my fingers that we survive this thaw this week without a repeat of the pre-Christmas fiasco.

As a skier, I'm not too worried. I've had some great skiing over the last month and even if we get hammered, there's still a lot of winter left.

As a business owner in a lousy economy, it would be great to have a solid Presidents Week.

loafer89

The skiing took a hit, especially the natural snowcover and the glades. It's was into the middle 40's at Smugglers Notch well into saturday night.

There are plenty of trails at Smugglers with thin cover and this week will not help them.

Burke got rain on the lower 1/3 of the mountain and about 1.5" of snow on the upper mountain. The glades are in rough shape except where skiers have broken up the crust and blended in the new snow.

Generally there is about 50% more snow in Northeastern Vermont, than in Northwestern Vermont, IMO. Saint Johnsbury has tons of snow.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
How to make a nice, crunchy ice topping:
genplot.php

I was checking in granite bases earlier today in my polo shirt..it felt like 70 degrees in the sun..this current weather is more typical winter weather for PA..

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
After who knows how many days straight, we are finally above freezing here in Ashland, NH. And not just any above freezing. 45 degrees above freezing with serious melting and a few sprinkles. Back down to 39 currently, but the damage has likely been done.
Mountains in the north are probably fairing at least a little better. Call this our January thaw a week late. Let's get it over with and get back into a storm cycle and I'll be content.

45 degrees above freezing! that's 77 degrees! Time for a BBQ :p

Unfortunately, it looks like last weekend's warmup was just a prelude to what's coming this week. 36-48 hours above freezing is not going to be good for the snowpack no matter who you are. Hopefully, the warm doesn't come with a lot of wind since that is what will melt the snow the fastest.

This is the type of ill timed crappy weather that solidifies the "icy" reputation of the northeast mountains. If people who only ski on the vacation weeks had only been up here for the last month and a half, there was barely a patch of icy to be found. Now, as the hoards are set to come north all we are going to hear is "the Northeast sucks, it's always sooooo icy" :roll: I'm going to Colorado next year :dunce:.
No amount of grooming is going to bring back the excellent powder/packed powder surfaces we have been enjoying. Only 2 feet of snow is going to do that.

hammer

Guess it's time to get a fresh tune...:roll:

Hopefully the conditions will hold out enough to get the people out next week. It's the next month after the vacation week that I'm concerned about...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
45 degrees above freezing! that's 77 degrees! Time for a BBQ :p

Unfortunately, it looks like last weekend's warmup was just a prelude to what's coming this week. 36-48 hours above freezing is not going to be good for the snowpack no matter who you are. Hopefully, the warm doesn't come with a lot of wind since that is what will melt the snow the fastest.

This is the type of ill timed crappy weather that solidifies the "icy" reputation of the northeast mountains. If people who only ski on the vacation weeks had only been up here for the last month and a half, there was barely a patch of icy to be found. Now, as the hoards are set to come north all we are going to hear is "the Northeast sucks, it's always sooooo icy" :roll: I'm going to Colorado next year :dunce:.
No amount of grooming is going to bring back the excellent powder/packed powder surfaces we have been enjoying. Only 2 feet of snow is going to do that.

+1. I also hope it doesn't drive anyone out of business. They had a crappy new year's weekend too.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Wow. Went out for lunch without a jacket. Had on a long sleeve and felt over dressed. Suck! That was followed by rain, adding insult to injury.

Just looked at the GFS loop for the next two-three weeks. It doesn't look good. It doesn't look like much precip of any type. Mostly just cold. We are going to be stuck with whatever surface results from this storm for some time. Hopefully something unexpected happens and sends a few storms our way. We are really going to need snow (don't we always :) )

Yea, 1,000 posts!

tequiladoug

Website
www.douglas1.com
hero snow..my favorite conditions next to powder...this week of warmth has been a treat from the normally icy conditions here in PA>.

Mount Snow was a blast today, sunny at the bottom and foggy up top which finally burned off at noon...which is when they finally dropped a bunch of ropes on the North face. The snow was nice and soft! A light rain started at 300 so I called it a day, but it was already stopped at 330 ...my car showed 40 degrees when I hit the road.

I did notice Stratton definitely has a lot more snow (I was there Monday), at Mt. snow there was a few places (some big) with the ground poking thru compared to zero spots at Stratton.