• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Next weekend - question

lerops

Planning a long weekend trip to north country. Skiing wise, all looks great. Smuggs was a hit for the family a few weeks ago, although we didn't really see any fresh snow (but brought a ton of it with our departure, you are all welcome).

Should I just stick to that or try Stowe or Jay Peak this time? How is Jay Peak or Stowe for kids? Stowe kid lessons look quite expensive, btw. It is also the wife's birthday. Need to factor that in also.

Thank you for the recommendations.

steamboat1

Stowe will do the best job manicuring the mountain out of the three but still leave plenty natural if that's your thing. Might want to consider that if the weather warms up. Can't beat Stowe for evening dining options with the wife. Skiing will be pricey though.

jaysunn

Stowe and Smuggs will be awesome, I am a K pass holder, so I just finished a weekend of man skiing, shit was real. GO TO K..

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I think Riverc0il has a Smuggs pass this year, but he doesn't post anymore. Can't spek about Smuggs, but I skied all around the area. They (along with everyone) will have outstanding snow depth.
The trick is, if you can wait until the last minute to pull the trigger that would be better. When you get a temp of 46 forecasted for Friday (Haven't seen the Saturday forecast, it's a world away) things can still be different up on the Mt. Stowe is a lot of money to spend for a beginner, but the points about good grooming are important - Stowe takes fresh pow and churns it with the hardpack, to give a nice compromise of pow and fgr. - Edgeable.

Jay has a nice beginner area with plenty of options. It's gotten a lot busier with the lodge, arena and waterpark. The waterpark is a good option if it rains and you have little ones. I find the Jay intermediate trails often to be unbearable - they get scraped off so fast. Then again, crowds were extremely small yesterday and should be from hereon out - that means less traffic, less trail wear and tear. Not much to do socially, esp. restaurants (like Smuggs, it's isolated), but it's still a helluva an experience..

HowieT2

I'm generally pretty optimistic, but the forecast for this upcoming weekend could present some challenging conditions on the slopes.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'm generally pretty optimistic, but the forecast for this upcoming weekend could present some challenging conditions on the slopes.
Agree - especially if there is a thaw-freeze. It probably won't switch to spring conditions immediately, whereon the watchword becomes "variable condition"

mbedle

Conditions at Stowe are looking pretty good for this weekend. Most likely be some rain and snow on Friday at a high of 39F, but they are calling for some light snow on Saturday at 34F and part sunny on Sunday at 34F. If you go to Stowe, what ever you do, do not buy your tickets at the resort. I suggest calling and inquiring about any deals they are running at this time of year. Like everyone said, Stowe is going to have the best groomed conditions. Smuggs is going to offer the best value and most options for beginner skiing. Stowe's beginner terrain is limited to mostly the Toll House area (extreme flat) and some on Spruce Peak.

bheemsoth

What do you guys think about southern Vermont for this Saturday? Girlfriend has a SkiVT pass to burn and they have $37 CSC passes at Mount Snow, so I was thinking there. It's probably our last shot to go this year, but I'd rather just eat the voucher than spend a couple of hours each way in the car for poor conditions. The Weather.com forecast for Mr. Snow and 44 Friday and 40 Saturday with a chance of showers each day.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
What do you guys think about southern Vermont for this Saturday? Girlfriend has a SkiVT pass to burn and they have $37 CSC passes at Mount Snow, so I was thinking there. It's probably our last shot to go this year, but I'd rather just eat the voucher than spend a couple of hours each way in the car for poor conditions. The Weather.com forecast for Mr. Snow and 44 Friday and 40 Saturday with a chance of showers each day.
Only if it stays warm after it rains. If you get a freeze up after that, go to somewhere with damn good grooming. MS qualifies.
It's too early to decide now for the weekend, unless you are held in my reservations some place. Don't pull the trigger until wed. at the earliest, but preferably Thursday. I chase storms and good conditions, this is my strategy.

Another place people forget about is Bromley. It's southern facing so it is outstanding in the spring time, the snow is soft being hit all day with sun,.

bheemsoth

Good reccomendation with Bromley. Unfortunately we have already used ski Vermont passes there this year, so are restricted from doing so again. We also need to be back in CT by dinner time on Saturday and Sunday is out for us as well. I'll have to evaluate as the week goes on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

wa-loaf

I'm at Magic next weekend with family, but cruising solo Thursday and Friday. Trying to figure out a plan for those days and may wait to see if Maine gets a decent hit from this storm. Otherwise will likely head to Northern VT as it seems they are doing really well right now ...

jaysunn

Trying to figure out a plan for those days and may wait to see if Maine gets a decent hit from this storm. Otherwise will likely head to Northern VT as it seems they are doing really well right now ...

Same plan in my head.

MadMadWorld

Conditions at Stowe are looking pretty good for this weekend. Most likely be some rain and snow on Friday at a high of 39F, but they are calling for some light snow on Saturday at 34F and part sunny on Sunday at 34F. If you go to Stowe, what ever you do, do not buy your tickets at the resort. I suggest calling and inquiring about any deals they are running at this time of year. Like everyone said, Stowe is going to have the best groomed conditions. Smuggs is going to offer the best value and most options for beginner skiing. Stowe's beginner terrain is limited to mostly the Toll House area (extreme flat) and some on Spruce Peak.

With the snow depths up there all groomers will be created equal no matter what mountain you go to.

lerops

Only if it stays warm after it rains. If you get a freeze up after that, go to somewhere with damn good grooming. MS qualifies.
It's too early to decide now for the weekend, unless you are held in my reservations some place. Don't pull the trigger until wed. at the earliest, but preferably Thursday. I chase storms and good conditions, this is my strategy.

Another place people forget about is Bromley. It's southern facing so it is outstanding in the spring time, the snow is soft being hit all day with sun,.

I am shooting for Th through Monday, if I can swing it. So need to make the call tomorrow or so.

I love Bromley, but will probably hit it in April since I want to take advantage of the new snow up north now. itching...

ScottySkis

kwell i dont if rain T Hunter or other catskiils hills bjt for spring condtions and it being end of Karcj ( no lines) you kight want to consider that option as well.