• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nice try Killington...

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I traveled to Killington for the opening convert in their "Cooler in the Mountain" concert series. I hiked to Killington peak in the morning, and headed over to the Umbrella bar around 2:45 to get some beer and food before the Long Trail sponsored event started.

I wanted to take my meal back to where I set my chair and blanket on the grass area outside the bar and I got stopped by security about half-way to my chair because you can't bring the beer off the patio. Are you freaking kidding me? At an event sponsored by Long Trail, I can't go take my Long Trail IPA in to the concert area? That's just silly. They tried to explain to me that it's because of some restriction on Kmarts liquor license. Killington is foolish for allowing such a restriction to be imposed upon them. Some dude saw what happened to me and gave me beer when I saw down, so karma worked it out for me anyway.

The show got rained out. I felt they did try to wait it out, and I think they made the right call. They made an announcent that they would be passing out drink coupons for the area bars but I couldn't hear where they were doing that. No employee I spoke to knew where this was happening either.

On a positive note, I like the umbrella bars. Pretty cool.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
That stinks but i think the people to blame are likely politicians that think these rules are the way to handle alcohol at public events. I'd be surprised if this was a Killington liquor restriction vs. a general liquor restriction from the ordinances in Killington, VT?

It's going to get worse as time goes on, not just at Killington, but everywhere. We always (as a society) try to blame everything but the issue itself.

I remember getting my bartender "certification" in college. I remember learning that if I overserved someone, myself and my employer are both potentially liable. I think that's ridiculous.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
This is standard from what I have seen. You can't buy a beer and take it out of a controlled serving area. I can't fault Killington for strictly enforcing liquor regulations. State governments take that stuff pretty seriously from the penalty end of things.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Don't believe it's a state reg at all actually.

You can go to Okemo every Friday night where they have live music at Jackson Gore and you are able to take your beer out onto the concert field. There is no roped in area / beer garden set up.

bobbutts

Whoever is at fault should fix it. Vermont's laws and/or Killington's policy should better match the laid back VT attitude. If people get drunk and out of line, by all means boot or arrest them, but let people enjoy a beer, especially at a beer sponsored event without getting hassled.

Geoff

Don't believe it's a state reg at all actually.

You can go to Okemo every Friday night where they have live music at Jackson Gore and you are able to take your beer out onto the concert field. There is no roped in area / beer garden set up.

The difference is that Okemo owns all the land. KBL sits on Calvin Coolidge State Forest leased land. The Irene Bars have a liquor license that only applies to the bar proper.

In the strange and wonderful world of Vermont liquor laws, Killington can't stop you from BYOB on state forest land since they don't have an exclusive lease. ...but you can't carry a beer off the deck. The State DLC guys are there watching and they love to fine the resort. They also walk up to people sitting there with a cooler and try to buy beer from them. If you fall for their entrapment, you get written up with a big civil fine. ...and the Vermont State Police are lining the Access Road after one of those events looking for easy DUI pickings. It's 35 MPH down that hill. They're pulling people over going 40 hoping to get somebody over 0.08.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I just don't understand the "can't take it off the deck" Who owns the beer after I purchase it? Are there any restrictions from me strapping a LT keg to a hand cart and bringing a backpack full of solo cups and giving away free beers at the next event?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I just don't understand the "can't take it off the deck" Who owns the beer after I purchase it? Are there any restrictions from me strapping a LT keg to a hand cart and bringing a backpack full of solo cups and giving away free beers at the next event?

I totally agree with you but this is the overzealous blame the victim society we live in.

You can't get into your car with the beer either, even as a passenger :roll:

Geoff

Yes. Giving away free beer in a public place is against the law in Vermont. They don't have an open container law so you can drink your own in public but it's illegal to sell, give, barter....

Geoff

I totally agree with you but this is the overzealous blame the victim society we live in.

You can't get into your car with the beer either, even as a passenger :roll:

Vermont automobile open container law is that open alcohol containers have to be in the trunk or, if you don't have a trunk, in the rear of the car inaccessible by the passengers. When I lived there in the 1970's, there was no open container law. You could drink in the car all you wanted as long as you were under 0.1% BAC.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I think that is what it should be. Drink as much as you want. Drink in the car if you are passenger. The driver must be sober. That is the important part because the drunk driver is the issue; not a drunk passenger or an open container in the car.

Riverskier

I don't even see why the driver can't drink, so long as their BAC is below the legal limit. I fail to see how it is any safer to drink prior to driving a car than while driving, again, so long as under either scenario you are below the legal limit.

ScottySkis

I was drunk in my car in Rutland parking lot of Walmart, and cops saw that and were okay with me having liquor bottle opened by front seat.

Glenn

They're somewhat similar at Mount Snow. Anytime alcohol is served, it's in basically a "fenced in" area. From my understanding, the state liquor control board has a lot of say in it. For a state that's so "open" in my regards, they're a bit uptight when it comes to beer and public events.

legalskier

...but you can't carry a beer off the deck.

Maybe Killington should just build a bigger deck. They can use those wooden roll-out mats like the ones on the beach, lol.

MIsterBoardwalk2.jpg

;-)

deadheadskier

Staff member
They don't have an open container law so you can drink your own in public

Don't think this is true, at least not in Burlington. I knew plenty of people in college who received open container violations when stepping off their front porch onto the sidewalk with a beer in their hand.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't even see why the driver can't drink, so long as their BAC is below the legal limit. I fail to see how it is any safer to drink prior to driving a car than while driving, again, so long as under either scenario you are below the legal limit.

Not sure if it is still the case, but when I visited Aspen in 2001 you could drive with a beer in your hand. It was legal in Pitkin County.

Newpylong

States have broad open container laws but local towns can override them. In MA you cannot have a container open in public outside of Buckland (opposite side of the river from Shelburne Falls). There could be other towns too...

The premises where the public can drink outside on private property depend on the type of license issued and the municipality issuing them.