• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

No Blue or Camelback TR's since 1/27? How are things in the Poconos?

jaywbigred

What's it like out there guys?

Also, how are the bumps at Blue and Camelback? Anyone been to Shawnee?

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Blue was ok over the weekend, Sunday seemed better overall to me, but Switchback was nothing but death-cookies. Razor's was smooth and sweet. I took some pics, but left my camera in the car. Maybe I'll post them later.

gorgonzola

ths past weekend was awesome at blue early mornings, not so great later in the day / night. great recovery from the major thaw / re-freeze earlier in the week and they blew the living shit out of barneys bumps friday and saturday nights. challenge bumps were re-seeded friday night but scratchy and in need of some skiing in, nightmare's moguls were deep and scratchy. thurs/fridays temps might make for some good bump skiing depending on what the nightime temps do.

4aprice

Hey Jay:

Almost wrote a Camelback TR for yesterday morning but held back. Was beautiful Monday even skied in the sweatshirt. Bumps on Lower Cleo and the headwall on Rocket. Deep, deep troughs on Rocket but they were skiing nice yesterday. Plan on being up several times in the next few days to enjoy this (hopefully brief) warmup. Still pushing them to seed skiers right of Cliffhanger. Got in a verbal jab at the GM Sat and am gaining some support from some other skiers (attn: Charlie:smash:). The mountain still says they will blow snow as weather conditions permit and I'm sure continued condtioning of Rocket is in their plans. Let us know if your headed up.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Geezer

I was at Blue on Monday from about 11am to 4:30pm and it was great. There was a very small crowd and spring-like conditions. The bumps on Main Street were in excellent shape with multiple lines to choose from. There was a good group of people enjoying them. The bump skiers seem to gravitate together. At one point at about 2pm, there must have been about twenty people all together getting the horde-of-mogul-skiers thing happening. I’m sure the warm days later this week will bring more of the same.

gorgonzola

hey j you should come out to blue tonight for some birthday turns & beers! i'll be on the sl skis so no bumps (or at least very few!) for me tonight but there will be a few of us at the bar from 9:30-10:30 or so!!!!

jaywbigred

hey j you should come out to blue tonight for some birthday turns & beers! i'll be on the sl skis so no bumps (or at least very few!) for me tonight but there will be a few of us at the bar from 9:30-10:30 or so!!!!

Thx for the suggestion gorg and for noticing the bday. Can't tonight, but Weds and Fri are both in play. Depends on a few things, Weds is prob a 25% chance, Friday is near 100% but I will have my 10 y/o nephew w me, who is a beginner, so I will prob just go to Shawnee to checkout the new quad and cut down on trip time.

gorgonzola

Thx for the suggestion gorg and for noticing the bday. Can't tonight, but Weds and Fri are both in play. Depends on a few things, Weds is prob a 25% chance, Friday is near 100% but I will have my 10 y/o nephew w me, who is a beginner, so I will prob just go to Shawnee to checkout the new quad and cut down on trip time.

cool, enjoy! a few of us are likely headed over to bear creek tommorrow to take advantage of a BOGO and terrorize ther NASTAR and bar a bit if anyone's interested :beer:

gorgonzola

pond skimming is scheduled for 3/20, usually closing day is a week either way depending on conditions and/or visitor interest

ERJ-145CA

Also, how are the bumps at Blue and Camelback? Anyone been to Shawnee?

I went to Shawnee a while back, well before the thaw. It was great conditions and the new HSQ made it a 3 minute ride to the top. Don't know what conditions are like now though.

I was at Blue today. I got on the snow at about 10:30 and it was hardpack and dust on crust. The freeze thaw created ice right below the groomed upper surface.

It still was pretty edgeable though, my skis only almost slid out from under me a couple of times. There were bumps on Barney's Bumps, skier's right on Nightmare and skier's left on the first steep pitch on Challenge. I didn't ski in the bumps so I can't tell you the conditions though. The last hour or so that I was there Challenge had been skied off pretty bad but Razor's Edge stayed edgeable all day though there were quite a few death cookies on the first pitch of RE.

It was very fast snow though and I got lots of speed on Challenge and RE, so fast my helmet started lifting up a couple times until I got to the bottom and tightened the chin strap. A fun day, and it was cold, which was nice, I'm not really looking forward to the warmup this week, hopefully winter comes back in full force next week.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
It was very fast snow though and I got lots of speed on Challenge and RE, so fast my helmet started lifting up a couple times until I got to the bottom and tightened the chin strap. A fun day, and it was cold, which was nice, I'm not really looking forward to the warmup this week, hopefully winter comes back in full force next week.

Good stuff. I also know I'm flying when my eyes start to tear up under my goggles :spread:

tarponhead

Blue trip report for 15-Feb, night skiing: Better have some good edges. 'nuff said.

I won't be at Blue for the next two weeks; I'm heading up to Burke and Jay this Saturday with my boys in tow. Be back in time for tailgate season at Blue come March