• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nokia Lumia 820

Hawkshot99

I just got myself a free Nokia Lumia 820, but dont really know much about them. I got my first smart phone back in Sept. a Galaxy SII on straight talk. From what I have read online tonight I can put my sim card into the phone and use it. I like the SII that I have but it is all I know other than briefly using friends other phones.

What I am mainly concerned about on the Lumia is the availability of apps and such. I see most apps say they work on Droid and Apple, but no mention of Windows, or really hearing anything about this operating system.

So people in the know, would you keep the phone?

Edd

Windows phones are playing catch up as far as app selection goes. Apple and Google have far more. A lot of the apps, however, are junk regardless of weather you're using WP8, Android, or iOS.

If certain apps are important to you then I'd check if WP8 has them available before making the switch. There's a decent chance that the Windows phone would have an equivalent.

If the apps don't matter then I'd play with the WP8 phone for a few days and see if you prefer the usability to the Android. I hear good things about Windows phones but Android has its fans.

WWF-VT

I’m on Windows Phone 7 and upgrading to WP8. To me it’s a very intuitive interface, easy integration with my corporate Outlook email and managing contacts. I don’t use many apps besides Maps and a few others. My current phone is a Samsung and I like the form factor and features of the Nokia 820.

ctenidae

820 or 920?

I have the 920 now. Actually, 2nd one- the Boy dropped the old one an I think he broke the battery loose internally. It has a few design improvements over teh 900. Windows 8 apps are strong, I think. teh picture proessing capabilites are remarkeable, adn I thinkt ehWindws app store is improving- clearly was intended for W8 from teh get-go, with W7 being "ok".

o3jeff

820 or 920?

I have the 920 now. Actually, 2nd one- the Boy dropped the old one an I think he broke the battery loose internally. It has a few design improvements over teh 900. Windows 8 apps are strong, I think. teh picture proessing capabilites are remarkeable, adn I thinkt ehWindws app store is improving- clearly was intended for W8 from teh get-go, with W7 being "ok".

It also appears the "e" and "h" key have been switched around!:grin: