• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Noob binding question

BeefyBoy50

Hey guys,

I've been wondering this question for a while and have found some conflicting advice when I googled it, so I figure you guys would be a better resource to answer the question.

For those of you who ski with families and often fly to ski areas, you know the frustration of trying to cram a bunch of skis in 1 ski bag to avoid the extra cost of bringing a second bag. It seems to me that it would be no problem fitting as many skis as I wanted in just one bag if I take the bindings off.

Would it compromise the strength of the binding's attachment to the ski once it was reinstalled, or is this something that can be done without an issue? (I'm thinking the answer is going to be "yes" otherwise everyone would be doing it, but I just want to know if I'm wrong). I bought some binding inserts called Binding Freedoms today (pretty much just tapped set screws that go into the ski so that bindings can be reinstalled hundreds of times with no issue) so that I can do this in the future.

Would it be ok to take the binding off even once? I got a pair of secondhand race skis last year that still perform very well, but the graphic is kind of dated, and I want to put on a custom vinyl that I found online here http://www.epicboardskins.com/index.php?p=1_2_0_52
It would be way easier to do without the bindings, so I want to know if it's ok to take them off even once, or if I should just work around the binding.

Thanks for any suggestions! Hope you guys get to enjoy some of the snow coming to the northeast this week!
-Hans

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
The stainless inserts stay in the ski, I don't see any reason it would comprimise the attachment. I do see a problem with loosing a screw or two. I used a diffrent brand than the ones metioned but more to adjust screw centers on a second pair of bindings on a older ski. I have more faith in the holding power of the inserts vs regular screws.

Puck it

The inserts are fine. I have used on skis for skinning behind my house and resort skis. You cano also take screws out the skis too but you need to be careful not to skip aka overtighten. A good wood glue is used on the screws for adhesion so screws do not back out. Better yet are system bindings.

Scruffy

You seem to have at least two questions: 1) can I carry one binding for multiple pairs of skis and swap in my hotel room?, and 2) can I remove bindings once to overlay some topsheet cover thing and reinstall.

First, the caveat, anytime you take a tool to your bindings, that were presumably installed professionally, you are on your own. You have no legal recourse, and no one to blame if you screw up and get hurt. That said, I install and adjust my own bindings, but I'm not recommending you do it :wink:

For your Q2: All things equal, no it should not affect the "attachment". However, if you screw up and a) strip the threads, sort of speak, since there aren't usually "threads" in the traditional sense of a "nut and bolt", unless there are inserts installed, or some sort of mounting plate; b) over tighten and crush the self threaded threads in the wood core; or c) not tighten sufficiently, then yes you may have a problem. If you have a good "mechanic's feel", then you should be OK. Put some binding glue on the threads.

For your Q1: There are a lot of schemes for this. You mentioned binding freedom http://www.bindingfreedom.com/
From inserts to plates. They all work, but again, know what you're doing.

farlep99

Binding Freedom inserts work great- super easy to use. For the purposes of what it seems like you're asking here's what I'd do:
1- Have any bindings mounted professionally.
2- Get a decent Posidrive #3 screwdriver (standard size for binding screws) & take out the screws (the shop probably used a binding glue, but they'll come out, will just take a decent amount of force. Do not use a Philips head screwdriver! You'll strip the screws. Invest in a good quality Posidrive #3.
3- Use the existing holes in the ski to drill for inserts. This is the fun part. Binding Freedom's website used to have a good youtube video on how to do this. You're just essentially widening the existing holes so the inserts fit. I'd also HIGHLY recommend buying the tools for this job from the Binding Freedom website. They sell drill bits with stops on them that are sized for their inserts. Also you'll need to deburr and tap the holes, so you need the tools for that. They sell the tools in kits, so figure out what you'll need & order the kit- it'll make your life so much easier. The investment in the tools will cost you a bit, but they're tools & you'll always have them going forward. And having the right tools lessen the chances of you destroying your skis.
4- Use the recommended epoxy & install inserts. Once they're dry you can take your bindings off as many times as you want & no worries about the mount. They'll be bombproof. Be sure, however, you have the correct size screws for your binding type (again, check binding freedom website for this. They have a pretty extensive list). Also, use a threadlocker on the inserts screws like Vibratite VC-3.

Edited to add: for your original question, yes, if you remove the binding screws from the ski & re-screw them over and over it will compromise the mount. You could maybe get away with it once, but I wouldn't chance it. Just use inserts

mikec142

^This. If I'm with my family and we are flying, we are packing our boots and renting/demoing skis at our destination. The cost of the rental is basically offset with the cost of baggage checks. Plus I was able to try out skis that were appropriate for the conditions. This past March we were in Jackson Hole and I demo'ed Soul 7's for the powder conditions as opposed to lugging my Rossingnol E88's.

Additionally you don't have to cram skis into a rental car or lug them through airports.

When I get to my destination I would prefer to maximize my time there (with family) not mess around with my skis.

Hawkshot99

Get a rigid case(s), ship your skis ahead of time, and have them there when you get there. I am doing that for our Colorado trip in February.

Ground shipping from FedEx or UPS will take only 2-3 days from the east coast and should be relatively inexpensive.

I just shipped a pair of skis/bindings from NY to Denver that I sold. The cost was $65 for the one pair. Double the skis and you are over $100 and that's only 1 way.

Hawkshot99

Ughh, I get a big discount on shipping so I didn't realize it was that expensive for the regular shipper. Who did you send it with?
UPS. Comercial accounts ship for dirt cheap. My work will mail a snowboard across the country for $10. But a private person will pay more. Add in that ups considers skis to be over sized because of the length, and you get fucked.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

Whitey

UPS. Comercial accounts ship for dirt cheap. My work will mail a snowboard across the country for $10. But a private person will pay more. Add in that ups considers skis to be over sized because of the length, and you get fucked.

Try pricing it with FedEx Ground next time. Prices on oversize stuff and stuff going cross country tends to be better than UPS.

crank

I think the inserts are a great idea. I also think it is no big deal just to unscrew and screw the binding's back in directly. I am planning to get inserts and use 1 pair of bindings for 2 pairs of skis this season.

Hawkshot99

My opinion on these inserts changes depending on your bindings you have. On Markers such as the Griffon or Jester I'm not as big as a fan since you must remove the heal piece to get at the screws. You need to reset the forward pressure every time.
On bindings such as the Rossi Axial where you just lift the bindings off the ski after loosening the screws I think it's a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

Highway Star

Almost everybody I know brings two pairs of skis when traveling out west, their all mountain skis and their powder skis. You should able to fit both pairs in one bag.

Most airlines sports equipment rules state that a ski bag plus a boot bag count as ONE piece of checked luggage, and should be under 50lb total. Thus you pack your skis, weigh them, then pack another bag with clothes and misc stuff to hit the 50lb mark. Carry on your boots and one basic set of critical softgoods in a carry on bag. Then your other luggage bag is clothes and whatever other random stuff.

Also use skycap check in if you want to avoid any detailed scrutiny about abusing the bag policy.

dlague

We traveled with three people to Colorado last season and I checked in our ski bag with three pair if skis as my luggage, wife checked in a suit case with ski gear minus boots as her luggage and our son checked in our clothing suit case. We each carried a pack and our boots as carry on. Strapped boots together and carried over my shoulder.

Did pretty much the same when we went to Banff.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

crank

With bindings on I can barely fit 2 pairs. Mine and my girlfriend's, so I am thinking I can bring some fatter powder boards along as well as my 93mm not so fat skis if I take the bindings off at least one, maybe 2 pairs. I am going to experiment with this.

prsboogie

I just shipped a pair of skis/bindings from NY to Denver that I sold. The cost was $65 for the one pair. Double the skis and you are over $100 and that's only 1 way.

I never use UPS for anything. They are ALWAYS way more expensive than USPS or FedEX

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

darent

I have a dakine double roller ski bag and I fit 3 pair of skis in it when the wife and I travel. I put one ski on top of its mate reversed with foam blocks on the ends and duct tape them together, That way 3 pair fit, I have read that tyrolia makes a binding that is easy to remove for traveling.search epic ski for info

Puck it

I have a dakine double roller ski bag and I fit 3 pair of skis in it when the wife and I travel. I put one ski on top of its mate reversed with foam blocks on the ends and duct tape them together, That way 3 pair fit, I have read that tyrolia makes a binding that is easy to remove for traveling.search epic ski for info
Any system binding is easy to remove and reinstall.