• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Northern Lights

vwbug1971

Whats the most southern point that I would be able to see the northern lights. I'm at college in RI and a bunch of friends and I are going camping the weekend of november 12th. We're all really intersted in seeing the lights. Anyone have a suggestion of where we could hike, camp and see the lights

thanks in advance

Greg

Staff member
Whether the Northern Lights are visible is really a matter of solar wind activity. They are not always visible. There was a very strong display two years ago that was visible all the way down here in CT.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I've seen the northern lights as far south as Woodstock, NH. A couple of years ago, as Greg said, there was a display all the way down through southern New England. Normally, though, you need to be a lot further north.

The place to watch is Space Weather, which can keep you apprised of any activity, such as solar storms or particularly coronal mass ejections, that can really bring out a strong aurora.

If you can be flexible in your time, watch for a big storm, then head north a few days later (the web site will tell you when). Expect to have to be awake in the 3-4am range for the best effect.

MtnMagic

Living in the North Country, we see them all the time after 9 pm and later. As Michael said Space Weather is the site to check out. I've seen them green, last month, Sept 11th at about 4:30 am in the Kilkenny, red, blue and a combination of these colors. Quite the sight. I hope you can view the show!