• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NWS 2016 / 2017 Winter forecast!

jack97

The "promise" of the change in pattern was based on very some skilled long range forecasting techniques. I don't trust the GFS over one week out but things look promising.

skiberg

right now it looks like its probably going to precipitate around turkey day, the question is the type.

Los

I have been scolded on this forum for taking accuweather monthly forecasts seriously (even though November is turning out right along the lines of what accuweather predicted). That's fine, but can we agree that getting weather news from Open Snow is an even worse idea?

They sent an e-mail this morning titled: “Snow coast-to-coast with a happy long-range outlook”, linking to an article titled: “Legitimate snowstorms are in the forecast. It’s about time!” The evidence presented in the article is this:

Capture.jpg

OK… good for Wyoming maybe, but it shows only spotty snow in Utah and Colorado, a moderate amount of snow in Vermont and virtually none in NH and Maine. So HOW THE FLIPPIN F--- can they say “snow coast to coast with a happy long rang look”????

Open Snow is the worst. It’s just marketing. I'll stick with accuweather. Or you guys. I guess. :)

dlague

Well it is kind of coast to coast but nothing says how much. Is there ever a time where coast to coast would be blanketed? Don't think so. My guess is thebare using the term loosely. That being said, a dusting of snow is snow. Some places are going to get the goods and others will be minimal but that map looks pretty darn good compared to what we have been having. I will take it. There lots of excitement here in Colorado for the next ten days.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

And it looks like this is a map from Weatherbell!

They are right that its a major shift from what we've seen but its a bit of hype. Then again they are the media......

mriceyman

Well a foot of snow in cali and a foot + of snow in NY is as close to coast to coast as you can get without vt cashing in. They dont just throw maps but have guys give detailed reports for each region almost daily.. accu is nothing compared to that. Maybe just learn to read and not be a map whore.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Los

And it looks like this is a map from Weatherbell!

They are right that its a major shift from what we've seen but its a bit of hype. Then again they are the media......

Right, that was my only point...

But whatever... I just want to go skiing already.

skiberg

2016_11_17gfs_total_snow_current.png

skiberg

Lets hope this is even possible, but they seem to suggest that models are starting to come into argument for some snow in higher elevations.

dlague

So he mountains here in CO got about 6-8 inches, the Front Range even got snow! Colorado Springs got 2 so far. This system is winding down but headed up towards the Great Lakes then over to New England. Looks to start as rain then switch to snow. There are two other systems right behind this one for Colorado over the next week. Hopefully they track the same and bring the goods to New England too!

Things are starting to look up!

4aprice

So he mountains here in CO got about 6-8 inches, the Front Range even got snow! Colorado Springs got 2 so far. This system is winding down but headed up towards the Great Lakes then over to New England. Looks to start as rain then switch to snow. There are two other systems right behind this one for Colorado over the next week. Hopefully they track the same and bring the goods to New England too!

Things are starting to look up!

The Euro has a beautiful look to December from Utah to New England. Could be a case of good things come to those who wait. Never was upset as it was predicted to be a warm fall and got lots of things done but its nice to see it turning and am now pretty much ready to crank it up. Will probably start up 1st weekend in December, 2 weeks later then planned (never planned on skiing T-day weekend anyway so not missing anything there) but much better then the late January start I got last year. Happy trails everyone.:snow:

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Tin

Things have escalated a bit.

4k NAM nailed the Oct 27-28th system (love the elevation contrast), here it is through midnight Monday. Stuff starts early morning Sunday.
sn10_acc.us_ne.png

Total liquid on the GFS through Wednesday thanks to upslope after the ULL. We wait and see...
IMG_3731.thumb.PNG.859b037068864aa9008760c950542a67.PNG

slatham

Euro is even more bullish, GFS maybe not as much. Either way a nice change and it will finally look and feel like winter.

Euro weeklies looking better for longer range over next 4 weeks.

THINK SNOW!

Tin

I'm not quite thinking of 2/24-26/2012 when bands set up from SB north and put 36" down at Stowe in 36 hours and 40" at Jay in 48 but it is looking great.

Weird stuff going on up in the Arctic with record warmth. Over in Siberia there still is that cold air. How will the jet stream bend and will the cold come down to the NE? My guess is that in January this becomes apparent. Atlantic Ocean off the house is still pretty warm.