• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Offer made to buy Burke

thetrailboss

Staff member
I love little Nordic Valley! IIRC, the new chair (el 7060) and much of the proposed expansion sits higher than the original footprint (el 6300) which saw a fair bit of rain when nearby PowMow and Snowbasin were piling up the snow. It's a shame the proposed gondola from North Ogden got nixed. The only thing American's complain about more than traffic, is ways to avoid it.

I really doubt that MCP is involved in this Burke bid though.
I’ve been hearing that MCP is feeling pretty down about Nordic because the new lift hasn’t created the increase in traffic that they expected. I think they need to replace the main double. Leaving that was a major mistake.

Their main focus in Utah has been Brian Head. Major expansion planned for that area.

2planks2coasts

I’ve been hearing that MCP is feeling pretty down about Nordic because the new lift hasn’t created the increase in traffic that they expected. I think they need to replace the main double. Leaving that was a major mistake.

Their main focus in Utah has been Brian Head. Major expansion planned for that area.

That's too bad. I saw the Brian Head plans. That's great for that area, but Nordic Valley is so much better placed along the booming Wasatch Front. The three ski areas in the Ogden Valley, properly managed and with some regional promotion, combine to provide a critical mass that could outdraw Park City. Nordic needs to get up higher onto the Forest Service lands to be more snow sure. If they get to do even a small percentage of their proposed expansion, that original double is irrelevant. They also need to get on the UTA ski bus. It goes right by, but doesn't stop there. We took an Uber from Ogden. Ideally, the three would have some sort of shared ticket product. Right now, Snowbasin is Ikon (Base+ or above), Nordic is the MCP Power Pass and PowMow is Indy.

raisingarizona

Yup. They’ve got a good market there with Vegas.

It’s the obvious money maker when compared to NV. Well, obvious if you’re familiar with the area and where they get visitors from.

raisingarizona

That’s some serious bling bling for that little mom and pop ski area.

It may be a little too much for now.

jaytrem

The new lift at Nordic is very nice! With so many people moving to the area, I figure it should be hard to fail. The old main lift can be a problem though. It was broken for the whole time we were in Utah. So we had to walk up to the six from the top of the beginner lift. I imagine that would be a turnoff to a lot of people.

2planks2coasts

Just reading a January 2023 NESJ interview with Jon Schaefer. I wouldn't be surprised if it's them bidding on Burke. A "next step up" type of hill for folks with Berkshire East / Catamount passes.

BenedictGomez

That's too bad. I saw the Brian Head plans. That's great for that area, but Nordic Valley is so much better placed along the booming Wasatch Front. The three ski areas in the Ogden Valley, properly managed and with some regional promotion, combine to provide a critical mass that could outdraw Park City.

I really love your enthusiasm, but let's not get completely crazy.

thetrailboss

Staff member
That's too bad. I saw the Brian Head plans. That's great for that area, but Nordic Valley is so much better placed along the booming Wasatch Front.
As RA said, the play is to get the Vegas and SoCal traffic. Cedar City and St. George are booming. Plus the appeal to golf/go to Zion on day and ski the next is a real draw.
The three ski areas in the Ogden Valley, properly managed and with some regional promotion, combine to provide a critical mass that could outdraw Park City.
I just spit out my coffee. NFW those three outdraw PC in my lifetime!

Nordic needs to get up higher onto the Forest Service lands to be more snow sure. If they get to do even a small percentage of their proposed expansion, that original double is irrelevant.
As you may have seen, NV's previous owner(s) proposed a HUGE expansion including a gondola over to North Ogden. Points for creativity, but no way that is happening. The amount of money was ginormous. I did love looking at the maps and dreaming though.

And that double NEEDS to go before anyone in UT and beyond takes this place seriously. The last major owner who put silly money into the place in the early 2000's pre-financial meltdown bet on snowmaking and cut corners on lifts. They reinstalled a (decent) reused triple from Deer Valley, but failed to paint over/remove the "Sterling" nameplate. Again, the first mistake was NOT to replace the almost 40-year old double. The double was done about 10 years ago. Having it "closed" again for a good portion of the season, and advertising that people need to "walk" to get to the Six Pack, demonstrates why this place can't even sell a decent amount of $300ish season passes. That now long-gone owner learned that investing stupid money into snowmaking is a waste when the lifts are completely ghetto.

They also need to get on the UTA ski bus. It goes right by, but doesn't stop there. We took an Uber from Ogden.
This makes no sense at all. Very weird.

And as to MCP's main guy, the WWF called and wants Hulk Hogan back:

141759901_2764486810430657_1454674148557210815_n.jpg

142114479_2764486813763990_6250214897304823987_n.jpg

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Getting back to Burke: we're staying at the Hotel this coming week. I stopped by on Wednesday--PACKED parking lots for a conference. Lots of people (for Burke). They told me that our week is "busy" with almost all rooms booked. In mid-June.

Town was busy with bikers, even midweek.

Reactions: Edd

4aprice

Sure but before you know it there’s going to be enough ski traffic in the SLC region that a lot of people will be looking for alternatives.
I think NV has got some decent potential due to the fact that their location is pretty good. If they build the village there you've got skiing at NV, Powder, Snowbasin and whatever Wasatch Peaks is going to be (public or Private). You've got the Pineview Resevoir next door and I believe the Wolf Creek resort has golf for warm weather. This all within a reasonable distance from SLC airport. Decent recipe in my opinion.

2planks2coasts

A lot of folks already are, and it is Snowbasin (on the IKON) that most are now rushing to.

And Snowbasin will likely always draw the most. It's got a better layout and more steeps than PowMow. Now, if they'll stay with Ikon, who knows? They've been flipping partnerships every couple years. Snowbasin + PowMow+NV has more skiable acreage that PC+DV by a fair bit 12k vs 9k acres. Yes, that includes PowMow's shuttle terrain.

VTSkiBike

Getting back to Burke: we're staying at the Hotel this coming week. I stopped by on Wednesday--PACKED parking lots for a conference. Lots of people (for Burke). They told me that our week is "busy" with almost all rooms booked. In mid-June.

Town was busy with bikers, even midweek.

Burke and East Burke are slammed all summer with mountain bikers; it's even getting to be too much for the locals. Who ever buys Burke will inherit a big summer bike business.

4aprice

Burke and East Burke are slammed all summer with mountain bikers; it's even getting to be too much for the locals. Who ever buys Burke will inherit a big summer bike business.

I'm sorry but are Vermont locals ever happy? I'm sure they wouldn't be happy if the resort shut down.

xlr8r

And Snowbasin will likely always draw the most. It's got a better layout and more steeps than PowMow. Now, if they'll stay with Ikon, who knows? They've been flipping partnerships every couple years. Snowbasin + PowMow+NV has more skiable acreage that PC+DV by a fair bit 12k vs 9k acres. Yes, that includes PowMow's shuttle terrain.
But the vast majority of Powder Mountains acreage is made up of the snowcat and hiking terrain. Its lift served terrain is only a fraction of their advertised 8,464 Acres.