• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo, Saturday December 27th

nrthest

Went to Okemo w/friend on Saturday December 27th,
rendezvous w/brother&nephew.

Chose okemo for proximity [2.5hr drive or so] snow-making reputation/recent rain/84 trails open.

No picts, but here's how the day went:

Arrived at 730ish for the 8A.M. opening.

$65 lift ticket was not pleasant, but I knew that was coming.

Forgot our poles at home, doh!, but they comp'd us poles for the day, which was nice of them. :)

The mountain was in pretty good shape, some icey spots, but with some manmade and or natural stuff over the top of vhard packed powder for the most part.

We skied all of the diamonds that were open, and some of the blues and a couple greens where necessary.

Later on in the morning it did start to get crowded, but not too bad I thought. The worst for us was a couple times, the northstar express quad had a long lift line sometimes starting ~1030 or so.
But we worked our way over to Jackson Gore, and it was less crowded over there, in part I think because w/some of the trails closed, it was a little tricky to work your way over there.

None of the diamonds were steep enough for my liking. The double diamond glades were closed.

Jackson Gore was pretty cool. It was less windy, less crowded, and had some long runs where you could work up a little leg burn if you pushed it or a while. Gore is where we enjoyed the 'sweetspot' of the day, getting up and down the mountain ~6-8 times in a row w/little or no lift lines, for some long runs, before heading back over toward the main mountain again.

The upper part of Quantum Leap in Jackson Gore was the steepest trail we found for the day.

Overall enjoyable, but prefer some steeper trails.

Rounded out the day at Sam's steakhouse on the way out of town on [103S?] for a porter and dinner -- they have a good salad bar :)

JiminyPeak tomorrow.

Joshua

sounds like the usual flatkemo

I always have the most fun there, but its not challenging

crowds can be bad, and withouth the glades being open, $65 for blue trails (the blacks are not black), its tough to swallow