• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo ski school

GardenGnome414

Hey folks,

Any experience with Okemo's ski school? I have 2 daughters that I'm signed up for some lessons. Both have skied PA mountains, can do all greens. The older one can ski most blues in PA. Last year the older one skied Whiteface greens fairly well and is a bit better now.

I put the younger one in the green group and the older in the blue. The younger can ride the lift herself, she sometimes has a hard time getting on if the lift is fast.

With all that being said, ive heard Okemo is not as challenging as say Whiteface. Since I've never been to Okemo did I put them in the right classes or is Okemo much more difficult than skiing in PA?

Rich

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rocks860

I wouldn’t say okemo is difficult at all, I’ve only skied at camelback in PA. Blues at okemo are probably similar to PA, maybe just longer based on the increase in size of the mountain. They should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeB-Z

They also have an excellent ski school that know how to make skiing fun for kids. A great choice for a Poconos upgrade.

I wouldn’t say okemo is difficult at all, I’ve only skied at camelback in PA. Blues at okemo are probably similar to PA, maybe just longer based on the increase in size of the mountain. They should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

podunk77

Agreed... Okemo is a good "next step" if your kids are accustomed to the Poconos. They'll have a blast and won't be in over their heads.

GardenGnome414

Great. Thanks everyone. I really didn't want them in the same class. One would either be bored or the other would be in over her head.

My guess is that if they can't keep up they will move them down. But I think they should be fine.

lerops

They will be fine, don’t worry.

Okemo does a nice job, but time on snow is limited just by the nature of it.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

GardenGnome414

Thanks everyone,

Just got back after a nice 7 hour drive. The lessons were very good. My daughters loved them. I have to say, I like the setup better at Whiteface, it was more organized. But they were able to ski more of the mountain at Okemo.

Thanks for the advice.

Here's a mini trip report in case someone else new to Okemo comes across this thread... just my opinions..

They did a very nice job of grooming and making snow after a 3 day spell of really warm weather.

Many of the blues were skied off by late in the afternoon. Which added to the challenge.

If you are there multiple days and not sure if you are going to ski them all, decide before you leave the mountain, load your card for the next day before you leave the mountain. That way if you are skiing on from one of the houses toward the top, you can go directly to the bubble lift to avoid the crowd at the base.

For folks that ski the Poconos, the main green area , right in front of the base lodge, is pretty similar to the greens in PA. Maybe a little harder. The blues seemed more 'challenging' and longer. They were pretty fun for intermediate skiers that only get to ski 3-6 times a year now that we all have kids.

Our group of 16 had all experience levels and everyone found places to ski they really liked.

As expected, presidents day weekend, Saturday and Sunday, was packed. I've never seen so many people trying to get on a lift. 40 minute wait at the bubble lift. Good thing we skied Friday too.