• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo to hit 300 acres of open terrain

giantfan

Okemo currently has the most open terrain in the East.

From the snow report for tomorrow:
1:45 p.m. Update: Tomorrow we anticipate opening six more trails! Including: Vortex, Quantum Leap, Moonshadow, Upper Limelight, Sprint and Moments Rest. That is another 42.2 acres to get your groove on - grand total of 313.05 acres!

From the blog for the weekend:
With the good snowmaking temperatures forecasted, we should meet our goals of opening Sachem, Quantum Leap, Vortex, Moonshadow, Line Drive, Moments Rest, Sprint, Rimrock, Bull Run and into South Face. At the same time we will be using some of our snowmaking capacity and resurfacing some of the existing terrain we are skiing on now. I’m hopeful to have 55 trails and 10 lifts by the weekend.

How did they manage to get more terrain open then Killington?

HD333

"we should meet our goals of opening Sachem"

Alright! No more schlepping down to the base lodge, ski in and ski out should be a reality this weekend.

Big Game

I finally got around to white lightening/rolling thunder last year at Jackson Gore. After full Christmas vacation day, still stashes of powder. Terrain was awesome. Scary entrance keeps the riff raff out. I could ride it all day. But *loving family* kept me from it.

xlr8r

I just booked a night at Stratton for this upcoming weekend. They appear to not be that far behind Okemo with trail openings as they are calling for 60+ trails by the weekend. Only been to Stratton once and did not like it much so I'm giving it another try. Got on mountain lodging for Saturday and a two day lift ticket for only $165 including tax. Price was too good to pass up.

Killington seems to have stalled with their trail openings, probably harder for them to recover from the warm weather and rain last week with steeper trails.

dlague

I can imagine that warm spells require a lot of trail recovery once temps drop therefore Killington would have their work cut out for them! I made snow at Jay Peak when I was 19 and it is scary after a refreeze or in freezing rain scenarios knowing you can not get a good foot hold! You have to hand it the snowmaking crews! Respect!

steamboat1

Thats ALOT of dough!! Do you have a link?

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk
Stowe Mountain Resort’s continued investment in state-of-the-art snowmaking operations includes an additional $3.4 million in new equipment and upgrades for the 2013-14 winter season, which consist of 120 HKD tower guns, 4 Super Pole Cat fan guns and miles of new snowmaking pipe. Add that to the $4.7 million invested last summer for a two year total that includes 445 HKD tower guns, 150 energy efficient land guns, 20 Super Pole Cat fan guns and seven miles of new snowmaking pipe. These improvements allow Stowe to operate with greater energy efficiency, increases potential for more early season terrain, increases overall snow quality and allows mountain operations to resurface the mountain quickly.

And it's not like Stowe didn't have adequate snowmaking even before this investment.

giantfan

Okemo has almost 100 more acres than Stratton which has the second highest acreage open.

okemostatus.jpg

xlr8r

Wow, that graph really shows the haves and the have nots when it comes to snowmaking systems. Killington really has fallen far behind in the last week, and Sunday river only being fourth is also surprising. Loon has been very strong in recent years, but they are also further behind Okemo and Stratton than I would expect at this point. I think stratton could have a little bit more open, but they seem to wait to open trails for the weekend instead of midweek even though they maybe ready.