• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Opposite Day..

JD

Website
hotmail.com
great, thanks for asking.

How was trolling?

Not so successful...the shillington crowd hopped in and hijacked a thread...of course pretty much everything was skiing well this w/e, but my point was that killington was not in the bullseye....despite the explaination that they had more open then resorts that are 100 percent open, and the fact that you have to duck ropes to ski 100 percent of killington, and BTW, there is only 1 "Beast" in VT and it sure as hell ain't Ktown.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not so successful...the shillington crowd hopped in and hijacked a thread...of course pretty much everything was skiing well this w/e, but my point was that killington was not in the bullseye....despite the explaination that they had more open then resorts that are 100 percent open, and the fact that you have to duck ropes to ski 100 percent of killington, and BTW, there is only 1 "Beast" in VT and it sure as hell ain't Ktown.

my point was you essentially called Geoff a liar......

JD

Website
hotmail.com
If jeff is suggesting that killington got more snow then any other area, then yes. If he is suggestion that killington was good, then no. I'm sure the skiing was good there, but prolly not as deep as, say, smuggs, Bolton, backside of MRG.Bush/Mansfield/J. Noaa has no interest in padding numbers nor do they get amped because someone had a really nice ski day as Geoff probably did, they just try top predict, and then record that actual weather, which says that the western slopes of the greens from central VT north got the best of it....hard to argue that looking at the totals today.
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/headline/index.php
Totals doubled to near tripled rutland county totals...

JD

Website
hotmail.com
I'm still trying to figure out how Jay getting more snow than Killington is opposite day, then.

Read the original post....leeward side was the ....here it is.....o p p o s i t e.....side then 90 percent of all other storms....It's rare that underhill ends up with more snow then the town of Stowe. It's rare that my friends in Middlebury get more then I do in Northfield....on the mtn, things that were ussually loaded we scoured and vice versa.....in an opposite kind of way. It's kind of the same old scenario though too. A conversation about a weather event that I found particularly interesting turned into someone promoting their home mountain....go figure. In the mean time...today's my friday and I am going to ski untracked pow exclusively for the next 48 hours....how's that for a plug.

Geoff

I'm still trying to figure out how Jay getting more snow than Killington is opposite day, then.

Particularly since Killington got more snow than Jay over the holiday weekend. The Killington haters can't believe such a thing could be possible. I get kind of sick of the attitude.

tjf67

Read the original post....leeward side was the ....here it is.....o p p o s i t e.....side then 90 percent of all other storms....It's rare that underhill ends up with more snow then the town of Stowe. It's rare that my friends in Middlebury get more then I do in Northfield....on the mtn, things that were ussually loaded we scoured and vice versa.....in an opposite kind of way. It's kind of the same old scenario though too. A conversation about a weather event that I found particularly interesting turned into someone promoting their home mountain....go figure. In the mean time...today's my friday and I am going to ski untracked pow exclusively for the next 48 hours....how's that for a plug.

Kinda wierd lake effect was coming from the east to the west last night. I dont care it was falling but I dont see that very often. Sunday when we could get to the top of little whiteface the normal spots for powder were scraped. the wind was brutal. Took some hunting to find if but after three different hunts we got the good.

drjeff

Bottomline, in so many ways, this was one really weird, and impressive storm. The likes of which we probably won't see for a long time to come, if ever again.

UVSHTSTRM

Bottomline, in so many ways, this was one really weird, and impressive storm. The likes of which we probably won't see for a long time to come, if ever again.

What was so wierd about it? Why won't we see it again? Yes, I would agree it is not the typical approach of a storm, but happens ever few years....or so it seems. I mean if you live in Burlington yeah you might not see 33 inches for a while, but some other place in NE will from a very similar storm.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Just the spottiness of the storm was quite weird. Burlington getting 33 inches and Stowe getting 4? Beyond weird

A. Burlington has never gotten 33 inches before

B. 95% of the time, Stowe is going to receive more snow than Burlington if there's a storm in the area.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com

The weather guy on the local FOX station last night said it was a " once in a 100 year type of storm" in that cold air came down from Canada and settled in the Champlain Valley and when the backdraft from the noreaster hit the state it produced the record setting snowmaker east of the lake and west of the spine of the Greens.

SIKSKIER

Same strange storm totals in NH.Cannon has now recieved 31 inches since Jan 1st.I got about 8 in the Manchester area and there was only about 2 in between the two in the Lake Winni area.Waterville Valley 15 miles down the road has only recieved 12 and Attitash 9 inches in the past week.

Last edited:

moguler6

Sounds great but why are they still not 100% open?

No Joke. I heard they're out of bamboo poles and they're on back order! WTF!!! OL is only open from the lower crossover because they're out of bamboo to rope off the under the chair. Really Beast? People have been skiing Fiddle for weeks, don't know why that isn't open, it's in fantastic shape. They would be 100% if they'd just drop the ropes.

Was a weird weekend at Killington. I have NO idea how they'd even try to measure the snow out of this storm. I think their claimed totals are on the high side, but they did get a lot of snow. Many of the trails were wind scoured and sheer ice while others were really good. The best stuff was to be found in the woods, plenty of knee deep if you knew where to look. Other areas were deep wind blown that you couldn't even move in. Monday the mountain was in good shape with pretty much all the groomers back to packed pow and soft snow on the natural trails. Skied Friday to Monday and everyday the mountain skied totally different. On Sunday they were giving out vouchers because the trails were so icy and I skied thigh deep pow. The wind was a HUGE factor this weekend.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Kinda wierd lake effect was coming from the east to the west last night. I dont care it was falling but I dont see that very often. Sunday when we could get to the top of little whiteface the normal spots for powder were scraped. the wind was brutal. Took some hunting to find if but after three different hunts we got the good.

'Dacks getting champlain lake effect. weird. Kind of the opposite of what ussually happens. Singularresortcentric loyalists being annoyed by internet banter....sameold sameold.
If this storm would have come from the west, the town of Stowe would have been burried...on the mtn, the 9-20 inch storm total grossly understated the amount of snow that filled into the sheltered areas....I would say when you found it, it was 20-50 inches deep. Other spots ended up with less snow then before the storm.

skimore

..on the mtn, the 9-20 inch storm total grossly understated the amount of snow that filled into the sheltered areas....I would say when you found it, it was 20-50 inches deep. Other spots ended up with less snow then before the storm.

about the same as I found near Jay