• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ORDA Reports Record Attendance at its Winter Facilities

Edd

How else could it be pronounced?
Sometimes a “Y” can have an “I” sound. Like the words apply, rely, deny…Nobody I know IRL has ever mentioned Bellayre. If it weren’t for AZ I’d be unaware of it.

JimG.

Staff member
It's spelled "Belleayre".

Happy for ORDA, they do a good job (I know there are some who would vehemently disagree).

Since I qualify for the senior rate on my K pass this coming season I'm considering getting the ORDA 3 in 1 which will add Gore and Whiteface to my NY choices. With the IKON pass included in my Beast 365 pass that should give me way more skiing options than I'll reasonably be able to visit.

Last edited:

ThatGuy

I could see Belleayre being pronounced Belly-air. Plattekill and Pico are two others with ambiguous pronunciations if you’re not familiar with their names.

JimG.

Staff member
I could see Belleayre being pronounced Belly-air. Plattekill and Pico are two others with ambiguous pronunciations if you’re not familiar with their names.
Oh I agree the spelling is a little weird, making the pronunciation a little ambiguous.
But to be fair, I've never heard those other mountains pronounced Platty-kill or Pik-o.
I'm sure they have been, just never heard it.

ThatGuy

I’ve know my whole life its Pike-oh but my brain wants to it to be Peak-oh for some reason…

cdskier

I’ve know my whole life its Pike-oh but my brain wants to it to be Peak-oh for some reason…

Because that's the way the word is pronounced using the Spanish roots of it... I've long argued that should be the correct pronunciation and that "Pike-oh" is wrong.

Kind of amazing a majority chose Pee-ko.

That would be my choice if I was voting.

JimG.

Staff member
Because that's the way the word is pronounced using the Spanish roots of it... I've long argued that should be the correct pronunciation and that "Pike-oh" is wrong.

That would be my choice if I was voting.
I see "Pi" and my mind goes right to the number.

Abominable

I’ve always heard it Bah-Skay

I ski Bousquet now a few times a year as I'm a Catamount / B. East passholder. What's comical is the amount of different ways I've heard it pronounced, even from people who work there or at its 'sister' mountains.

Boo-skay
Boo-sket
Bah-skay
Bah-sket

and even "Basket," though I think that was just tying to be funny.

mister moose

Since the poll gets quoted frequently on TV and radio, I have to wince at the number and variety of wrong pronunciations of Quinnipiac. And there are tons of people that don't know that K1 Lodge is pronounced 'KBL'. I've skied Bahs-kay since high school. And apparently Suicide is now pronounced 'Saskawena'