• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

'Out For Delivery'

Puck it

not enough float? How big are the Rock Stars underfoot?

Float is not the problem, 115cm underfoot or there abouts. It is the full rocker. They ski very short. They almost fell like skiing 160cm ski. The next size up were 188's. The owner told me to go with the longer ones.

Cheese

WOW that's short! I'm 5'8 155# and I ski 178cm ski that is 117 underfoot. Even at that length I'm mounted 1" behind center to get extra tip float to allow more forward lean. Personally I'd take the advice of others and consider trading up.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

WOW that's short! I'm 5'8 155# and I ski 178cm ski that is 117 underfoot. Even at that length I'm mounted 1" behind center to get extra tip float to allow more forward lean. Personally I'd take the advice of others and consider trading up.

Yes, I'm well aware it's short. In fact, it's not short, it's extremely short.

Again, I've done the research, calculated the sq/in etc.... for floatation (almost identical to my 179 Line Prophets), and talked to people that specifically bought this ski for eastern backcountry, glades, and unmarked/offmap glades. They're fairly popular for that application, meant essentially for off-piste shoulder-squeezing trees.

Cannonball

Puck it, give the guy a break. Just because you have years of experience skiing exactly those skis in exactly the conditions he is talking about, does that make you some kind of authority? He wants an extremely short ski...nothing wrong with that. I saw some kids this weekend on snowblades, they were having as much fun as everyone else on the hill.

BenedictGomez

Puck it, give the guy a break. Just because you have years of experience skiing exactly those skis in exactly the conditions he is talking about, does that make you some kind of authority? He wants an extremely short ski...nothing wrong with that. I saw some kids this weekend on snowblades, they were having as much fun as everyone else on the hill.

Above post = lulz

Wow. I knew this would generate a negative response (especially from the "I'm an expert skier because I have Xcm skis crowd"), but this exceeds my expectations so far! :popcorn:

Cannonball

^just busting your balls. I've heard Puck It gripe that his Nomads are too small...but at the same time I've seen him rip on them. They are a sweet ski in any size.

It does seem weird these days, being on the tram or lifts with people who have skis that are considerably shorter than my snowboard (I ride a 163 or 165). Just so much evolution and variety it's pretty cool.

BenedictGomez

^just busting your balls. I've heard Puck It gripe that his Nomads are too small...but at the same time I've seen him rip on them. They are a sweet ski in any size.

It does seem weird these days, being on the tram or lifts with people who have skis that are considerably shorter than my snowboard (I ride a 163 or 165). Just so much evolution and variety it's pretty cool.

Couldnt tell, as trust me, some skiers get (oddly) VERY sensitive over the subject of cm length!

I think it was 2 years ago that I mentioned I wanted to get a pair of these and some people were nearly apoplectic about it. lol. Truth is, technology has changed, and IMO, if a study were taken most North American skiers probably are currently on a ski that is longer than necessary for their skier profile. But everyone who is over the age of about 14 years old grew up with, "good skiers ski long skis, beginners ski short skis". However, make no mistake about it, these skis ARE way too short for me in any sort of terrain except what I plan to use them for. So, in that sense Puck it is absolutely correct if he thought I wanted these for on map runs.

drjeff

My wife really loved these so much when she demo'd them while we were on vacation, and they had her skiing a foot plus of powder like i've never seen her skiing snow that deep in the almost 20yrs that i've been skiing with her! I decided to suprise her with them! Blizzard Samba's in a 166 (they're essentially the women's Bonafide, less the metal layer

10092_pic1c.jpg

Madroch

I've lost my mind.... bought a pair of vokl racetiger gsr 187cm-- a true one trick pony that is probably WAY too much ski for my skill and strength-- but for 84$ new flat (older model) (yeah, the plates and binders will set me back a bit-- but I have months to bargain shop). Figure I'll workout like hell this fall, and learn to ski em or sell em if I can't. Tried nastar a couple of times, and hope to take some lessons this year-- I just love the way my fischer rc4s spring me through the turn and rip when you let em go...kinda mad I bought em so short (170-- because of so many posts saying they were a lot of ski)... imagining if I can flex this ski it will be awesome. May be a pipe dream... but the whole speed thing is addictive.

o3jeff

812bZDSWZlL._SL1500_.jpg
Yamaha Rx-V673. These things have come a long way. Still figuring out all the stuff. It also has an app that lets you control it with your phone on your network and the AirPlay is nice too.

Edd

Hit a bunch of ski stores in the MWV searching for pants over the weekend. Didn't find anything I liked. So I come back home today, sit on the couch, and buy a pair of FlyLow Gear Stash pants on Backcountry.com with every single feature I wanted and the right color. So..I'll be walking around my place on Saturday in full ski gear looking at myself in the mirror like a weirdo.