• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

outside mag ski flight website

Dmiller27

There are so many tools to finding the best flights/deal that it really can get complicated quick. I typically have my wife on one computer while I sit on another and we search for different arrival/departure patterns around the date we want to go that has the best value. The last few times I have found it is a lot cheaper to fly one way from one airline and one way back on another. For example I recently flew to Hawaii. Flights on all the search engines and major airlines were $1,200.00++ and above per person round trip. When I searched for one ways I was able to get the pattern I wanted from different airlines $800++per person round trip. Between my wife and I, saved roughly $800.00 dollars.

Second example My wife and I are heading to Park City at the end of Feb and we were able to find the same kind of deal saving another $600.00 by buying from different airlines and shifting our departure day by one. I work in hotels and was able to find a hotel room right next to the airport for $59.00 through our company discount program.

Bottom line the deals are out there you just have to work to find them.

elks

Airline pricing is such a pain. But, there are so many ways to game the system and maximize frequent flier miles (even if you never fly) and book travel using award tickets. Just booked a trip to Costa Rica for 4 using miles (total cost $200 in taxes). Went to Mt Hood last year using miles too. It doesn't take much to learn how to build up your miles bank.