• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

i got bored and booked a 2 week ski trip

KustyTheKlown

curious what 3 didn't make the cut? I'm about ready to replace my boots and expect I'll be going thru the same process with the guys at SB.

you know i really wasn't that interested in exactly what he was trying, i kind of trusted him and left him to it and didn't ask that much about each boot. i pretty much glanced at the flex on the shell and always saw 120+ so knew it was a stiff experts boot

i tried on bright orange tecnicas that were 130 (too wide), navy blue langes that were 120 - we tried these in 26.5 (oww no) and 27.5 (ok but not as snug as i wanted), and the black nordicas i ended up with (just right)

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

76FCB5D0-353E-43EE-83CE-69BAF52B033D.jpegF2136C67-FE69-45F5-A3C5-973DF57BF7DB.jpeg13641A61-48C2-4570-9F6C-B7B0B27E5B4E.jpeg60F8E421-243B-4052-836A-E1085C139856.pngSo that was fun but mostly pretty weird. It’s too short in vert and length for most of us to really enjoy. It’s a great low pressure and inexpensive place to introduce a kid or brand new beginner adult to skiing. It’s fine for terrain park hooligans, some of whom behaved like real hooligans. But it felt good to ski! It’s like 200 vertical and I ran the fixed grip chair like 15-20 times. My tracker wasn’t cooperating inside the monstrosity dome. I’d go back next Sept/Oct to shake off the rust I guess. The park side had a few fun hits to launch. You can get wetzels pretzels without going outside!

Zand

If they always had the bump line that someone posted a picture of last week, I'd definitely check it out. Otherwise I'd go insane skiing that lol.

I have been in the amusement park though, some pretty decent sized coasters!

NYDB

did you do the full 2hrs? how many features in the park?

what kind of pretzel did you get?

snow looks good. was it like packed powder? ice underneath?

4aprice

If they always had the bump line that someone posted a picture of last week, I'd definitely check it out. Otherwise I'd go insane skiing that lol.
So much better with the bump line. I've been 4 times, and to me its a basically a skiing gym. The times it was flat I just worked on short turns and muscles that you can't really simulate off the snow, but the Saturday I was there with the bumps was just great and the 2 hrs went by in a flash. The workout was worth the fee.
IMG_2697.JPG

what is it like skiing indoors ?
The snow is generally pretty good, a little soft. Lighting a little flat. Lift is really slow but really your only skiing about 5 stories. Pitch is decent at the top and certainly enough for a bump line. I find it worth the price for admission especially for warming up for the season.

KustyTheKlown

yea, thats a fair assessment. the snow is good. there is no ice. its a constant 28 degrees so its pretty perfect manmade with some piles of fluff you can push around. the pitch at the top is good. it would be more interesting to me if it were twice as long. you are just done by the time you are in a groove. i definitely treated it like the gym too, and skipped my regular workout yesterday. lots of focusing on very tight lines (a few laps staying between the pomas, a few laps hugging the wall, etc). a few laps focusing on jumping off one particular lip. it was fun. i just wish it were bigger.

KustyTheKlown

tied up my loose ends for the big trip yesterday.

direct flights to SLC from NYC area on 2/15-18 are oppressive ($1000+) so i had to go with a connection. american newark to Chicago to slc early morning feb 17, landing 10:45 AM local time. direct flight on United returning, red eye on Thursday march 2. full weekend to recuperate at home before working again. about $675 for flights

extended my jackson hotel so i am there now feb 17-22 - the super8 by wyndham

extended the trip as a whole so needed a hotel in SLC, got a cheap one for march 1-3. even tho i am leaving on march 2, the shower and packing in a hotel room on Thursday 2nd will be a lot better than doing that in the parking lot of alta

extended my turo, which annoyingly raised the price $300.

i needed to replace my busted kastle bmx118s, and browsing around i found the 2021 fx116s (fx replaced bmx) for about $400. pulled trigger. fat charger ski. https://www.powder7.com/Kastle-FX116-Skis-185cm-New-Flat-2021/for-sale

i am so stoked. looks like its gonna be 4 jackson, 3 sun valley, 2 powmow, 2 snowbasin, 1 alta, 1 bird

anyone have any intel about shipping skis? i was thinking it may be better to ship my skis to SLC and pick them up the day i get there, rather than risk the connecting flight. only an hour between flights in chicago.

1dog

seems the risk of shipping is higher probability of late arrival ( or worse) than a connection, but this company specializes in this: https://www.shipskis.com

$120-$300. This is why I fly SWA specifically to ski- not a lot of directs to SLC or Denver but in 30 years they've never lost or made late my equipment. And yes, they do not charge for baggage. Phoenix or Chicago connections.

Feb 17th is high Presidents Week hence the $1000. In March I got $375 RT on SWA - used points but still, a whole lot less than a grand.

KustyTheKlown

yea, i like the presidents week trip because late february is generally a safe-ish bet and my company actually closes for the Monday so i get to maximize the ski days while minimizing the vacation dates. didn't expect the flights to be so crazy tho.

i looked at southwest but they only fly out of LGA and had connections in both directions. its expensive getting to LGA from jersey city in an uber big enough to carry my skis. newark is a 15-20 min $30-$50 ride, or free if my gf wants to drop me. shes afraid of driving ::smh::

Domeskier

So much better with the bump line. I've been 4 times, and to me its a basically a skiing gym. The times it was flat I just worked on short turns and muscles that you can't really simulate off the snow, but the Saturday I was there with the bumps was just great and the 2 hrs went by in a flash. The workout was worth the fee.

The snow is generally pretty good, a little soft. Lighting a little flat. Lift is really slow but really your only skiing about 5 stories. Pitch is decent at the top and certainly enough for a bump line. I find it worth the price for admission especially for warming up for the season.
The bumps they seeded this weekend appear to be up still up. It is hard to see them on webcam, but they are in center left under the lift. Would have been nice if they had extended them a little further down the hill, but you know what they say about beggars. If this remains a thing, I would be tempted to get a monthly pass in the off season.

[apologies to Kusty for hijacking his thread]

Edit: appear to be gone as of Tuesday morning.

Last edited:

jimmywilson69

I love Ween! I'm due for a ween show, I just haven't been able to make it happen in the past 2 years. Where at, Port Chester?

KustyTheKlown

^thought you specifically would like that. i was like running in place for waving my dick in the wind, broke a sweat. roses, buckingham green, tooter, all awesome. a real rock and roll show.

beacon theatre. free ticket fell into my lap after work. nice unexpected evening. my 2nd ween Halloween. my first ween show since sometime pre-covid. they were all squirrels for the first few songs but then were too hot for the costumes. they play again tonight but I'm not doing 2 weekdays in a row.

jimmywilson69

Sweet! glad you had a good time. I sort of took a ween hiatus since they are just in cash grab mode and refuse to act like adults and make new music. I think I'm over that now though...