• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pat’s Peak open an extra week - what does it signal for NE ski areas?

SnoDevil97

Over the years, Pat’s Peak has had a rigid opening & closing schedule. And from all accounts is a consistent money-maker, even in lean snow years in southern NH.

That’s why their recent announcement of extending their season another week struck me as odd. Pat’s has a tried & true formula for sure, but now they’re straying from it. I’m sure their base is pretty good & their terrain is in decent shape. But, is this move to make up for a crappy February or is it to cash in in what I’ve heard has been a phenomenal March for New England ski areas? I’ve heard that areas like Gunstock & Crotched have made an unexpected windfall from March biz, just curious what others have heard re. financial results at other places for the season.

Edd

Cranmore is also open an extra week this year.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

hammer

Pretty sure I remember going to Pats Peak once after the usual closing date. Not the norm but not unheard of.

Was at Crotched yesterday and it was quite busy. There's still a decent amount of snow in people's back yards (ours at least) and the weather has been chilly. I was actually hoping for warmer temps to soften things up a bit.

That said, I wonder if many places will call it quits after next weekend. Spring sports will all be going and the late March sun should reduce the snowpack a lot this week.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Over the years, Pat’s Peak has had a rigid opening & closing schedule. And from all accounts is a consistent money-maker, even in lean snow years in southern NH.

That’s why their recent announcement of extending their season another week struck me as odd. Pat’s has a tried & true formula for sure, but now they’re straying from it. I’m sure their base is pretty good & their terrain is in decent shape. But, is this move to make up for a crappy February or is it to cash in in what I’ve heard has been a phenomenal March for New England ski areas? I’ve heard that areas like Gunstock & Crotched have made an unexpected windfall from March biz, just curious what others have heard re. financial results at other places for the season.

I was a passholder there from 2004-2006 or so. They generally did hold firm to dates, but I do recall them opening earlier due to weather and demand and staying open one weekend later.

SnoDevil97

Pretty sure I remember going to Pats Peak once after the usual closing date. Not the norm but not unheard of.

Was at Crotched yesterday and it was quite busy. There's still a decent amount of snow in people's back yards (ours at least) and the weather has been chilly. I was actually hoping for warmer temps to soften things up a bit.

That said, I wonder if many places will call it quits after next weekend. Spring sports will all be going and the late March sun should reduce the snowpack a lot this week.
I was at Crotched yesterday and had the same thoughts re. crowds and conditions.

I confirmed with several Crotched folks that next Sunday 4/1 is it for them. They're expecting to lose significant base this week and can't keep seasonal staffing any longer.

drjeff

My hunch is that this will be the weekend where once it's done, we go from more open areas to more closed areas.

Last edited:

Quietman

Pat's always ran a snowmobile hill climb the last weekend in March resulting in a hard close. This year it appears that they pushed the hill climb to 4/7 and it is now cancelled probably due to snow quality concerns(guessing).

tnt1234

A day just opened up on my schedule to ski - Friday 4/6. Wondering if anyone in teh cats will be open. Seems possible, but might be weekends only by then, and yeah, it's gonna get warm I'm afraid. We'll see.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Further south...Mohawk looks like they'll be open this weekend...that means they'd hit April again...2nd year in a row. Last year was the first time I'd ever seen them open in April.

Thunder Ridge is also shooting to be open for the weekend. That is an absolutely incredible feat if it can be done. They were blowing snow last Saturday night...that's incredible...both them and Killington were blowing snow into the morning. Crazy to think that the little 400ft ski hill an hour north of NYC was mere hours away from beating Killington as the last ski area to make snow this year (I presume). Very very very proud of my little home hill.