• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pats Peak new trails - one will be a bump run.

Smellytele

The new beginner trail, Cascade Brook, will meander and follow the contour lines nicely with some great twists and turns. Adventure seekers will be able to pop off skiers left into a new gladed section.
CBnewtrail2.7.30.14.jpg

The second trail, Scirocco (shuh-rok-oh) is a black diamond trail that falls away skiers' right off of the Crosswind trail. This trail cuts to the left, then right through some trees all the while giving skiers/riders some of the best sun and bumps on the mountain. The trail will drop skiers/riders off at the bottom of the lift where they can catch a break before the next run.
These new trails will have 100% snowmaking coverage to continue to provide quality snow surfaces. Future plans include night skiing and additional terrain parks.

skiNEwhere

Where are they keeping the moguls during the offseason?

They haven't been delivered yet. They are being shipped from abroad and will arrive as late as mid January due to logistical bumps that got in the way.

Used to ski PP all the time as a kid. Great for day trippin. Glad to see them adding even more terrain now

dlague

The new beginner trail, Cascade Brook, will meander and follow the contour lines nicely with some great twists and turns. Adventure seekers will be able to pop off skiers left into a new gladed section.
CBnewtrail2.7.30.14.jpg

The second trail, Scirocco (shuh-rok-oh) is a black diamond trail that falls away skiers' right off of the Crosswind trail. This trail cuts to the left, then right through some trees all the while giving skiers/riders some of the best sun and bumps on the mountain. The trail will drop skiers/riders off at the bottom of the lift where they can catch a break before the next run.
These new trails will have 100% snowmaking coverage to continue to provide quality snow surfaces. Future plans include night skiing and additional terrain parks.

Well we make our annual trip there with RNSE so will have to check it out. Was not very impressed with what was there last year.

MadMadWorld

Man that trail is flat. Then again a lot of PP is like that. Savemeasammy will be ecstatic over a new bump run.

Smellytele

Well we make our annual trip there with RNSE so will have to check it out. Was not very impressed with what was there last year.
I skied over there 2 maybe 3 times last year. It was lame as you said. a bump run may get me over there a few times. I will check it out as well as the glade. If by glade they mean like Hurricane glade that would be fun but if they mean what they have everywhere else it won't get me over there much.

xwhaler

The bottom section of Tempest had a short but relatively decent pitch (by Cascade Basin standards) before it funneled down to the chair.
If this new run next to Tempest follows the same topography I think it could be worth doing. Especially where the sun hits those bumps it could be fun.
The one thing I don't like about Hurricane is how icy the bumps get...seems they are always in the shade and facing directly North exposure.

The gladed section they refer to was open last yr----I went in 1st wk of January but there wasn't much coverage and it was boring.

Smellytele

The bottom section of Tempest had a short but relatively decent pitch (by Cascade Basin standards) before it funneled down to the chair.
If this new run next to Tempest follows the same topography I think it could be worth doing. Especially where the sun hits those bumps it could be fun.
The one thing I don't like about Hurricane is how icy the bumps get...seems they are always in the shade and facing directly North exposure.

The gladed section they refer to was open last yr----I went in 1st wk of January but there wasn't much coverage and it was boring.

I think this maybe a different glade then was open last year (Katabatic glades). It was very short

dlague

Unfortunately, there are lots of kids that go down Hurricane and snowplow through the whole run as well as beginner snowboarders who slide down sideways where in both cases scraping off all the good snow especially on the upper section where it is steeper. The steeper section on Tempest is very short - don't blink or you will miss it! The gladed section right before the chair lift is very boring and flat. But if they open some of that higher up it may be OK!

xwhaler

I think this maybe a different glade then was open last year (Katabatic glades). It was very short

They referenced the new intermediate/beginner trail which is shown on the trail maps and then said this below:
Adventure seekers will be able to pop off skiers left into a new gladed section.

I then just assumed it was the same glade they had last yr

xwhaler

But if they open some of that higher up it may be OK!

I did notice there is a small nubble lookers left riding up the chair just to the upper left of the chair terminal.
Seems that area is steeper and could have some albeit limited in length potential to add some advanced offerings.

dlague

I did notice there is a small nubble lookers left riding up the chair just to the upper left of the chair terminal.
Seems that area is steeper and could have some albeit limited in length potential to add some advanced offerings.

Yup that's it!

Savemeasammy

As most have mentioned, cascade basin isn't particularly exciting. IMO it's a step up from the valley area and gives beginners and intermediates a few more options. I will be curious to see what the new bump run will be like. I think Pats could use a bump run that is a bit easier than Hurricane. I see a lot of people struggle their way down, so I would guess a milder alternative will be popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's hard to believe that it's been almost ten years since I regularly skied at Pats. It did the job for the two years I lived in Boston. The passes were affordable, the service was great, the place was clean, and the skiing was overall quite good for what it was. They don't skimp on snowmaking and grooming.

As to bumps, in addition to Hurricane, they used to let portions of Cyclone, Tornado, and Knight Slope bump up. My first season they roped off Vortex and the Peak Double Liftline. I recalled that they rethought this after some feedback from AZ, and even blew snow in here. I recall skiing down some pretty sweet technical lines in this area in 2005. Short, but sweet. I think that they still let these areas bump up.

So yes, they were short on intermediate bumps. They did seed some here and there, but nothing really big. Having another trail for bumps would help.

I think their "glades" fall into two categories: decent northeast glades when there is snow (literally two--Tornado Woods being the best and Hurricane Glade near the top being second) and some thinning in between tree areas that would get snowmaking--both intentionally and unintentionally. The latter were what they had a lot of and they aren't really glades per se. Better than nothing. Would I go to Pats to ski glades? No. If I were in the area, wanted to ski, and they had enough snow so that the Vortex and Peak Liftlines were open and skiable? Sure. I skied there because of convenience and price. It also was just a friendly place to go.