• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

PEAK RESORTS: AZ Challenge 2009 Response/Feedback Thread

drjeff

Thank you Tim for all the great answers. As not just a longtime Mount Snow skier, but also a property owner in the valley too, me and my family are thrilled with all you've done to date with Mount Snow and also the visions you have for the future of Mount Snow!

Glenn

That was really interesting. Thanks for setting that up Greg. Tim, thanks for answering. It certainly gave me a better idea in regards to where things are headed at Mt. Snow.

EPB

Thanks for the responses. Its been nice to see Attitash see some tender love and care under Peak.

Euler

Thanks to Greg for the forum, and to Tim for the honest responses to our questions. Vinne Lewis over at Mt. Snow has linked to AZ from the Mt Snow Snow report. Wonder if you'll see much extra traffic here?

Vinny

Thanks for the response Tim. It's great to see that the mountain is under excellent management, and that you listen to the people who use your product.

Plus,after the recent snow.....it looks great in white!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Good responses, though I'm sure many of the Attitash regulars will be disappointed to hear that there is no immediate plans for an upgraded summit lift there. That seems to be the biggest complaint and I would think it would actually increase skier visits to support such an investment. I say this recognizing it would not make sense during a recession, but if I were looking to establish long term roots at Attitash, I'd want to see that the vision is there to fix what is perhaps it's greatest deficiency.

dl

Website
www.orbtialskiing.com
I'm an Attitash regular and have been for 12+ years. I recognize that an upgraded summit chair on Attitash mountain is not likely unless there is a dramatic increase in the number of skier visits. Frankly, as a regular, I wouldn't be too psyched to see a dramatic increase. As an alternative, I'd like to see Attitash make regular, every weekend, use of the Hall lift as that serves 80%+ of the terrain that the summit chair serves. It's warmer because it has a bunch of shelter and it has a foot rest. My biggest complaint about the summit chair, besides how long it takes, is that my legs are asleep by the time I get to the top. I need to stand at the summit for 3 minutes to get the blood flowing again so I can control my skis. How about adding a foot rest to the existing chair? I've talked to many who share this same problem.

EPB

I really have to echo deadheadskier's sentiments here. It's well known that Loon and Waterville are the closest and most crowded areas accessible from Boston, and I think that it's reasonable to assume that people would be willing to switch their allegiance and drive the extra half an hour to Attitash if they were to install a summit high speed quad. It is also important to consider the weekend population base that already exists in the Mount Washington Valley that could be swayed to Attitash because of a summit HSQ.

Again, this is not a short term fix and would consider careful budget planning and, from what Attitash has said, adequate terrain expansion to handle 2,400 people per hour being unloaded at the top. My suggestion, which is an incredible long shot, is to run a new high speed quad up the Flying Yankee line that extends to the summit ridge of little Attitash. The line is 7,000 feet long and covers roughly 1,900 vertical feet. This would allow Attitash to expand into the bowl off of Attitash to accommodate higher volume. It would allow Attitash to remove the current summit triple and expand base facilities at the "Adventure Center" It could also allow Attitash to replace the double-double's with the current Flying Yankee lift and allow premium access to the terrain park and beginner trail network at Attitash.

Obviously an extreme long shot and expensive project, but that's what I would like to see happen.

LuvToSki

Just read the Q&A with Tim. On the point about the rumor of Attitash being for sale I wish I could say it was true as do many others who have frequented the resort for countless years. So many people (customers, locals and employees alike) are sick of the GM of the mountain, which I think is pretty telling with Attitash’s lift lines getting shorter and shorter (if non-existent) due to falling visitor numbers becoming quite evident since Peaks has taken over. I can't wait for Peaks and/or the current GM to head out of town and leave this jewel alone so it can hopefully become a co-op like it originally was and let it reach its true potential to deliver greater value for the local and ski community than it is being allowed to.

vcunning

Just read the Q&A with Tim. On the point about the rumor of Attitash being for sale I wish I could say it was true as do many others who have frequented the resort for countless years. So many people (customers, locals and employees alike) are sick of the GM of the mountain, which I think is pretty telling with Attitash’s lift lines getting shorter and shorter (if non-existent) due to falling visitor numbers becoming quite evident since Peaks has taken over. I can't wait for Peaks and/or the current GM to head out of town and leave this jewel alone so it can hopefully become a co-op like it originally was and let it reach its true potential to deliver greater value for the local and ski community than it is being allowed to.

Interesting 1st post from someone who joined the boards today.

Just sayin . . .

Newpylong

I have zero experience at Attitash in the past couple years, but I can attest it was terrible in the last ASC years, roughly post Bear Peak.

slrr1

Attitash

I am a regular at Attitash, and I can say I agree that I do not like what the plans are with Attitash.
First off, Attitash is huge. It it two seperate and distinct mountains. thats awesome!, and Bear Peak is awesome, HSQ to top, good lifts... Attitash on the other hand stinks. That triple chair is a really slow chair lift!! It serves great terrain, Hey Ptmartian, Tims, and Idiots are some of the steepest runs in the East, but no one is ever on them.. why?
Because in this day and age people want to be able to get places quickly, not on a long excuciatingly slow lift!!!
The Top Notch is a jewl! It has feet rests, moves very quick, not as long as the triple, and not as cold.. What is the problem.. THEY NEVER RUN IT!!!!!!! (PS, Rumor is that they are "afraid to use it," They same design of HALL lift had a fatal accident somewhere.)
My guess is that people think oh, Wildcat, bretton woods, Cranmore, and even Gunstock (which are all on the way up from Ma, or in the MWV) have HSQ's!! At cranmore and Wildcat, they cant pack enough people into the chair's.. Same for Bretton Woods, Loon, and Gunstock! But NO ONE is atAttitash!! And management is waiting for more people to come to put in a HSQ??? WHAT ARE THEY THINKING??? As all the MTS are becoming more popular, Attitash is being left in the dust, and they can not survive as a "Black Mt. Type Operation" It is too big,and advanced.
They have to bite the bullet and put something to the summit, before no one wants to go to Attitash anymore! For every day Attitash doesn't have a HSQ, their ratings Drop!!! New snowemaking equipment doesn't get people to come. Attitash's snowmaking is the "best of the best" as it is. New lifts, and new trails excite the curiosity factor. I BET if Attitash Put in a quad, within a few years, they would have more people then they know what to do with!!!
Also A few more mogul runs please.. The 100% groomed slopes may be overkill
As I said, Attitash/Bear Is AWESOEME. It is huge, well layed out, people who go love the trails, but until a HSQ is put in It can never be #1

Here are my Eastern Resort Rankings (of the places I've been to on the NE.)

1. Stowe
2. Attitash (would be #1 if they had a HSQ)
3. Sunday River
4. Cannon
5. Wildcat

Ive been to atleast a dozen other places in the East, butthey don't make the top 5. Also note Black MT is FUN, FUN, FUN when there is a lot of snow. And K-Mart is way way to big and crowed to be in the top 5.
Anyways, relating to the ratings, What I am saying, is that in my book, with a quad, Attitash beats all of these Spectacular MTS! Keep it that way!!!

*** Are others thinnkiing as I am; Is Attitash funding Mt. Snow???, and Atitash being left in the dust? That is why I don't like Big coperations owning Ski areas. They use a Ginny-pig to feed a dog.

:spread:

thetrailboss

Staff member
I am a regular at Attitash, and I can say I agree that I do not like what the plans are with Attitash.
First off, Attitash is huge. It it two seperate and distinct mountains. thats awesome!, and Bear Peak is awesome, HSQ to top, good lifts... Attitash on the other hand stinks. That triple chair is a really slow chair lift!! It serves great terrain, Hey Ptmartian, Tims, and Idiots are some of the steepest runs in the East, but no one is ever on them.. why?
Because in this day and age people want to be able to get places quickly, not on a long excuciatingly slow lift!!!
The Top Notch is a jewl! It has feet rests, moves very quick, not as long as the triple, and not as cold.. What is the problem.. THEY NEVER RUN IT!!!!!!! (PS, Rumor is that they are "afraid to use it," They same design of HALL lift had a fatal accident somewhere.)
My guess is that people think oh, Wildcat, bretton woods, Cranmore, and even Gunstock (which are all on the way up from Ma, or in the MWV) have HSQ's!! At cranmore and Wildcat, they cant pack enough people into the chair's.. Same for Bretton Woods, Loon, and Gunstock! But NO ONE is atAttitash!! And management is waiting for more people to come to put in a HSQ??? WHAT ARE THEY THINKING??? As all the MTS are becoming more popular, Attitash is being left in the dust, and they can not survive as a "Black Mt. Type Operation" It is too big,and advanced.
They have to bite the bullet and put something to the summit, before no one wants to go to Attitash anymore! For every day Attitash doesn't have a HSQ, their ratings Drop!!! New snowemaking equipment doesn't get people to come. Attitash's snowmaking is the "best of the best" as it is. New lifts, and new trails excite the curiosity factor. I BET if Attitash Put in a quad, within a few years, they would have more people then they know what to do with!!!
Also A few more mogul runs please.. The 100% groomed slopes may be overkill
As I said, Attitash/Bear Is AWESOEME. It is huge, well layed out, people who go love the trails, but until a HSQ is put in It can never be #1

Here are my Eastern Resort Rankings (of the places I've been to on the NE.)

1. Stowe
2. Attitash (would be #1 if they had a HSQ)
3. Sunday River
4. Cannon
5. Wildcat

Ive been to atleast a dozen other places in the East, butthey don't make the top 5. Also note Black MT is FUN, FUN, FUN when there is a lot of snow. And K-Mart is way way to big and crowed to be in the top 5.
Anyways, relating to the ratings, What I am saying, is that in my book, with a quad, Attitash beats all of these Spectacular MTS! Keep it that way!!!

*** Are others thinnkiing as I am; Is Attitash funding Mt. Snow???, and Atitash being left in the dust? That is why I don't like Big coperations owning Ski areas. They use a Ginny-pig to feed a dog.

:spread:

This is a perennial question for Attitash and the biggest reason why they don't/can't put in a HSQ is because the land is on WMNF land and the feds throw up a lot of roadblocks when it comes to developing that land. Plus, you don't just put in a new HSQ without considering what you are putting that many more people on. The trail network at the top of Attitash is older, narrow trails. They would need to do some trail widening and reconfiguring (which also would need WMNF approval) to handle more people.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've heard that the traffic on the trails is indeed the issue. That said, Wildcat has an equally limited number of slopes off the top. They certainly get skied off. With Attitash having far more area to spread people out, maybe it wouldn't be quite as bad as Wildcat gets.

I'm sure if I were a pass holder there, I'd be wanting that HSQ as well. and of course, seeded bumps ;)

midd

Attitash and the MWV at large get way more summer visitors than winter visitors, so I think the management is a little gun shy about major ski related capital investments. I was also told that Attitash was forced upon Peaks for the rights to purchase Mt. Snow.

They are launching a Mountain Coaster this summer, so there is some willingness to spend money, just for the wrong season.

http://www.attitash.com/pressreleases.html?id=1280&nobar=1

thetrailboss

Staff member
There's something to be said about not having HSQ's though...some of the best places I have skied have been accessed by fixed grips. HSQ's = long lines and crowds.

hammer

There's something to be said about not having HSQ's though...some of the best places I have skied have been accessed by fixed grips. HSQ's = long lines and crowds.
Only been there once, but for Attitash I'd agree...if people want high speed lifts and wider trails they can always go over to Bear Peak. That said, it would be nice if the FG lift to the Attitash summit were a bit faster...