• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Per Channel 5: Wachusett Opening Friday

Zand

That's awesome. I'd go if they had a cheap day ticket but we know that's not happening.

I'm curious to see what they do. They've already announced that theyre only selling tickets in 4 hour blocks this season. But they haven't posted any info on pricing or how many will be available on a given day. I have to imagine for a 4 hour block that they wouldn't go north of $50 on Friday but I have no idea if I'll even be able to get a day ticket or if it's just passes only.

chuckstah

I'm curious to see what they do. They've already announced that theyre only selling tickets in 4 hour blocks this season. But they haven't posted any info on pricing or how many will be available on a given day. I have to imagine for a 4 hour block that they wouldn't go north of $50 on Friday but I have no idea if I'll even be able to get a day ticket or if it's just passes only.
I rarely drive South to ski, but this season, for $50 I'd be in. It would likely be the only day ticket I buy this season.

drjeff

One of my good, local CT, ski friends, who is a patroller at Wachusett, in a text thread with him tonight, said that he was told to be ready for Saturday.

Given the temps today, tonight and tomorrow, and what the Wachusett snowmaking system can do, a Friday seems possible for sure!

Zand

I can do 4 hours Saturday AM....issue is it's probably me and 3,000 of my closest friends trying to do the same thing on one hsq and one trail...
I guess we'll find out later today what the plan is, but based on the webcams theyre going for their usual opening of 4 top to bottom trails off 3 lifts. Been a while since they only opened with one trail. Their snowmaking capacity is insane now.

MG Skier

Zand, I saw that last night on ch.5 as well. The earlier the better for them. Personally 4 hours at Wa-Wa is plenty for me. I can work technique but there isn't a whole lot for me there besides the obvious...SNOW!

Zand

They posted an event on their website stating opening Friday, buy tickets online. But still nothing on the front page, Facebook, or any other announcement and nowhere to buy day tickets on the website.

Been refreshing the website all day because I want to make sure I snag a ticket before they sell out.

Zand

They replied to me on Facebook with a link to buy tickets, which is still broken. The wait continues. Lol

drjeff

Looks like Mass will be the 1st state with multiple ski areas open this year in the Northeast, as Jiminy will be spinning their lifts on Saturday per their social media feeds!

skef

Ticket sales are live. $44 for a 3.5 hour session, not bad. Get them while they last! I'll be there for first chair.
I'll be there first session Sunday. I had an active account, and had a pass a couple of seasons back. It wasn't clear to me if my existing card/pass was "reloaded" or if I need to pick up a new card.

drjeff

Interesting they opened and Hunter didn't...

My hunch with Hunter is that the mothership in CO doesn't want just 1 EPIC resort open in the East, for fear of what the crowding would be. Just like I'm guessing that *if* Okemo, Stowe, and Mount Snow open as planned next Wednesday, the reality is that they could of spun lifts this weekend, since if they don't have enough snow to open right now, the reality is that the window to make snow between now and Wednesday certainly appears to be limited with only marginal temps...

Zand

Interesting they opened and Hunter didn't...
If I had to guess, they've beat Hunter to opening just about every year in the past 10. Wachusett has been incredibly aggressive with early season for years since they added a 2nd pump station. 3 years ago they opened on November 12th with more acreage than Killington before they were even top to bottom. As this year shows, they only need about 36 hours of decent temps to open multiple trails and they have no qualms about opening on a weird weekday if it comes to that.