• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pet lovers?????

campgottagopee

GSS got me to thinking in his "got kids" thread about my dogs. Our 2 labs really are our kids, and we truly treat them as members of our family. They go with us whenever possible!!!! We've taken them on ski trips, vacations, family holidays wherever those with kids would take their kids. The one comment I've gotten that really sets me off is, "why can't you just leave them home, there just dogs". Just dogs!!! Man that really rips me. Have no idea where this post is going just wondering how many others out there are pet lovers..........................

Warp Daddy

Yep had Black Labs all the time our kids were with us but now got a HUGE friggin black male cat -- he's awesome he FOUND us now HE is DA BIG DOG :D

deadheadskier

Staff member
I had a yellow lab for many many years and felt the same way, BUT certain people just don't care for dogs, so I always respected that in my choices of where I brought him.

Now I have two gray cats who are great pets. The lady wants to get a dog, truth be told I'm against it as I like the freedom of being able to take off to the mountain or the city for a weekend and not have to worry about a pet. When we have kids and that sense of freedom is lost, then I'd be into having a dog again.

dmc

Now I have two gray cats who are great pets. The lady wants to get a dog, truth be told I'm against it as I like the freedom of being able to take off to the mountain or the city for a weekend and not have to worry about a pet.

diggity dank.... thats why i have 2 cats... The Kittles and the Hunter Cat are content to be left alone for days at a time with a waterer and a pile of food...

I get accused of not being a dog lover... But I actually love dogs so much... I don't want to own one...
I did have dogs all my life growing up... From Shepard mixes and lab mixes and chiuauas we rescued.. We live on a horsefarm in Ohio for a while and the dogs found us...

Dr Skimeister

Our pet population is down to 2 dogs, an 18+ year old Toy Fox Terrier and a 5 year old chocolate Lab, and a rabbit at the moment. We lost our 16 year old Jack Russell Terrier and our 18+ year old coolest cat in the world (Jerkin' Joe...don't ask) in the last 6 months. I have no doubt another cat will find it's way to our home soon.

We rarely travel with our pets for several reasons. With the kids and whatever paraphenalia we're toting along, room gets to be a factor. We have a network of relatives and friends that provides for the pets either staying home or at the home of someone they know well, hence minimizing the stress they'd experience if we had to farm them out to strangers.

cbcbd

I love all pets... I just don't have time for them. If my gf wasn't allergic to long haired cats we'd probably have one now.
Where I am now in life the only dog I'd be able to take would be some dinky toy dog, and there's no way I'm getting a dog I can easily carry like a football. I've always liked and wanted a Husky or a Malamute, but you really need the right environment for those dogs.

Plus, if I got a dog it would have to be able to follow me/us through my/our outdoor pursuits - rock climbing, mountaineering, kayaking, biking, skiing... aren't real practical to pull off with a dog and he'd be stuck at home or tied to some tree while I climbed rock? No way, I've seen plenty of animal lovers leashing their pets to a tree or post while they go off and do what they want to do.

campgottagopee

Lots-o-pet lovers, cool!! Besides the obvious ball/frisbee and just chillin my fav thing to do with my dogs is hunting. Shouldn't say "dogs", more like dog because my wife wont let my hunt Pica. She claims Pica is "too much of a girl", whatever. Anyway, my big boy Bode and I enjoy a good hunt. It's more of a I take my gun for a walk and watch him work. If you've ever hunted behind a dog, if you haven't it's too hard for me to explain just how awesome it is. These guys are breed for this and it comes so natural for them. Something about a crisp Fall morning havin' your dog fetch a bird that really is something to watch. Harvesting game is purly secondary compared to watching them work. I acrually have to make Bode rest because he would work himself to death if I let him.

We had a Cockerspaniel named Molly from when I was 7-21...When I was 19 my parents bought Belle who is a chocolate colored cockerspaniel and my parents current dog. She is 9 years old but has a ton of energy and enjoys long walks, biscuits and squeaky toys. She has some sa weet toys. My favorite is a dog with a tracksuit and a flavor flav like clock around it's neck that says,"Put your paws in the air like you don't care"...everytime you squeeze it. Belle is a really nice dog and I'm glad to only live about 2 miles away from her. My sister has a king charles spaniel named Lola. Lola is a very enthusiastic curious dog and is 3 years old...she's from the west coast so she's of course into Dr. Dre, E-40, Tupac and Too Short. Recently all the girls I've dated have had cats who always seem to snuggle up against me during the middle of the night..I think I'm getting some middle of the night action..until I hear the purr-ing..Oh yeah and I like animals that are green like Lizards and Frogs..shout out to Kermit..what what..Miss Piggy like's to get Jiggy and have fun..but I'd rather eat her on a bun..Holla

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
We just got a flat coat this past spring. She sure grew up quick. Worst thing about getting a dog as a pup is you really can't do anything heavy duty during the first year when they are still growing and developing. Can't wait to run her everyday and hike on the weekends during all times of the year. Fingers crossed she loves the snow. She loves to run and pull (especially when on lease :roll: ) so I am hoping she enjoys skijoring (I would take up x-country to do that with her if she liked it). Also, sometimes we think she is part kangaroo, so disc dogging may be in her future too. And she loves to do figure 8's around furniture in the house, bending her body six ways til Sunday, and jumping all over stuff, so possibly agility too. Going to be a long year waiting for her body to catch up to her drive to have fun!

I am not a pet lover. I do love my dog as family. But I hardly see myself as a pet lover.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I gotta ask. You love your dog like family, your dog is your pet, but you are not a pet lover. How does that work?
I think the term "pet lover" implies something a little more... I lover of all pets. I have no appreciation for most pets and there are even quite a few dogs I could care less about. I don't get all excited to meet other people's pets (unless it is play time for my pooch, which she really enjoys, but that is for her not for me). So I think there is a semantic difference between loving one pet as part of a small family unit rather than being a "pet lover".

Perhaps it is like babies. I hate babies. But if we ever ended up with one (for what ever reason, certainly not our choice at this point for sure), we would probably love our baby but still hate babies in general.

Splitting the hairs as usual, I know......

:D

playoutside

I prefer most pets to most people...I know it's a sad reality. Currently have 3 cats.

20 lb 7-9 yr old orange boy who is totally chill and will occasional disapear outside for 1/2 a day...kind of a stealth cat. rescued cat with no claws, but still he brought me a snake this summer.

13 lb 9 yr old calico boy, wishes he was an only cat, really has no need for the other two. not much sense when he's outside, gets chased by big black lab from next door, still he heads to their yard regularly.

9 lb 1 yr-old calico girl. she is in charge and has boundless energy. she flits around outside mainly catching bugs. she likes to hang in the hedges that we call the snake pit. shes been a bit less interested in going outside since she watched the bears in the yard a couple weeks ago.

highpeaksdrifter

Perhaps it is like babies. I hate babies. But if we ever ended up with one (for what ever reason, certainly not our choice at this point for sure), we would probably love our baby but still hate babies in general.

Well Oil nobody can say you don't speak your mind. That was kinda hard to read though.

highpeaksdrifter

We have a dog. I like him, but I could just as easily live without him. My wife on the other hand loves the dog. Our youngest kid is 14 and is of course becoming independent. My wife needs to feel needed and the dog helps here with that. So anyways the dog is a good thing.

cbcbd

Hahaha...
Sorry, I know what you mean... but its just weird and funny to see someone say they hate babies :D

I prefer pets to babies :)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
A little bit of back story is required as "hate" is a really strong word. Some of my co-workers have noticed there are a lot of things I don't like that most people do like. So one of my co-workers began saying "Steve hates ......" and fill in the blank with whatever that I am not too fond of. It became a weird joke when it got exaggerated to a lot of things I do like such as "Steve hates fun". Any ways, so I don't "hate" babies perse, but I find myself quite annoyed when ever a loud mouthed crying snot is within ear shot. Okay, then again, maybe I do hate babies :D There are many parallels between having a baby and a puppy I would think. At least the baby doesn't cry and yell and scream. But it will never grow up enough that I don't have to clean up after its number twos nor will I ever trust many people to watch her for us if we are not around for an extended period of time.