• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Philippine Earthquake Oct 15, 2013

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
You know i called a technical support line this morning for a hosting company (not AlpineZone related) and the prerecorded message said wait times may be longer than usual because of damage to their call center. It was the first I had heard of it.

Hope Snowmonster is all well and good...

wa-loaf

Snowmonster is in Manilla. Opposite end of the Philippines from the earthquake.

snowmonster

Thanks for checking in, guys. I'm alright. Wa-loaf is right. I'm in Manila (Makati, to be exact, which is a suburb of Manila). The earthquake occurred in the islands of Cebu and Bohol, which are about 350 miles from Manila. We didn't feel anything here but it was a 7.9 earthquake. Lots of damage to buildings. Death toll is 97 and climbing. Bohol is famous for lots of historical churches, which were considered national heritage sites. All gone now. Cebu has lots of call centers so that could account for the delay.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Good to hear from ya Snowmonster! Nice to know you were so far from the latest disaster. I know the Philippines are used to typhoons but how frequent are earthquakes? Those church buildings were from - what - 18th century?

snowmonster

Thanks, Abubob. Earthquakes are a pretty common thing here. We're on the Ring of Fire so we have to deal with volcanic eruptions and earthquakes. Add to this the fact that we're in the typhoon belt and we're the first big land mass in the western Pacific. Yup, it's a perfect storm of natural disasters. Since I got back, I've had a typhoon that devastated parts of central Luzon which is less than 100 miles from Manila and now this earthquake. But, hey, we grew up with this and we'll recover. We've gone through worse. In fact, during the typhoon, with 100 mile an hour winds, a lot of people were surfing!

As for the churches -- some of them were built in the 16th century. Very beautiful and grand. Unfortunately, some of them are literally mounds of dirt now. I'll share some before and after photos on my Facebook page. Very sad.