• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pole planting drills

Savemeasammy

I've been trying to develop a lighter touch in the moguls, including by not planting at all on lower angle bumps. It's way to easy to get your hands stuck behind you when planting too hard, particularly in softer bumps, and your shoulders/upperbody usually follow suit. I still catch myself planting hard in larger/steeper bumps - probably as an instinctive attempt to control my speed and/or leverage my turns.

When planting in bumps, do you do something other than keep your arms in front of you (and basically stationary) and plant by pivoting your wrists?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Domeskier

When planting in bumps, do you do something other than keep your arms in front of you (and basically stationary) and plant by pivoting your wrists?

That's my basic approach - I try to just tap the back side of the bump I'm absorbing. In steeper bumps, I find my self reaching for the face of the next bump as I'm extending into the trough. This can result in the pole getting caught on the uphill side of the bump and pulling my hand behind me. I think part of the reason is that my poles are probably 6 or 7 inches too long.

BenedictGomez

That's my basic approach - I try to just tap the back side of the bump I'm absorbing. In steeper bumps, I find my self reaching for the face of the next bump as I'm extending into the trough. This can result in the pole getting caught on the uphill side of the bump and pulling my hand behind me. I think part of the reason is that my poles are probably 6 or 7 inches too long.

Do you mean cm? Six or 7 inches would be pretty dramatic.

jack97

I still catch myself planting hard in larger/steeper bumps - probably as an instinctive attempt to control my speed and/or leverage my turns.

I'm sure you heard this before.... practice this out in the flats.

Savemeasammy

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say you are joking around about the pole length... ;) I'm 5'9" and my poles are 48". If they were a hair shorter, I wouldn't mind!

jack97

To try and return this semi hijack of the thread.

How does one/what type of drills have people used to get a 6 YEAR OLD who is just starting out with poles to get the hang of their proper use??

yeah this did get hijacked. but imo, the snow snake is a good idea. that should work if the kid is motivated about skiing if not then let it be as long as they are having fun on the slopes.

jack97

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say you are joking around about the pole length... ;) I'm 5'9" and my poles are 48". If they were a hair shorter, I wouldn't mind!

A mogul coach over at another site thinks the right length would be the top (of the pole) handle goes up to the highest part of the hip bone.

Several years back, the inside joke here is that those type of poles are called "clown poles".

Savemeasammy

yeah this did get hijacked. but imo, the snow snake is a good idea. that should work if the kid is motivated about skiing if not then let it be as long as they are having fun on the slopes.

The snow snake thing is good for working on HOW to plant the pole, it's the WHEN that I find trickier to explain. It's definitely not a big deal, though. I know it will come, but I like to try to help him develop if/when I can.

Savemeasammy

A mogul coach over at another site thinks the right length would be the top (of the pole) handle goes up to the highest part of the hip ".

Damn. That would make my poles
WAY too long! :)

Domeskier

I'm 5'11 and use 48" poles. I think the recommendation for my height is around 41-42".

Domeskier

jack97 said:
I'm sure you heard this before.... practice this out in the flats.

Thanks - yeah, I've seen this video and do practice planting like this on the flats. Unfortunately, I spend more time on the flats these days than in the moguls...

Domeskier

Do you mean cm? Six or 7 inches would be pretty dramatic.

Yep, inches. Which is part of the reason why I hestitate to go to the recommended pole length. I might be better off in moguls, but the poles would be useless everywhere else. I was thinking about getting adjustable poles for this reason.

Savemeasammy

I'm 5'11 and use 48" poles. I think the recommendation for my height is around 41-42".

That sounds ok to me. The hip length thing seems like it would leave you reaching for the bumps.

It's interesting to hear about that pole length thing, though... Those guys obviously know what they are talking about!

Scruffy

The snow snake thing is good for working on HOW to plant the pole, it's the WHEN that I find trickier to explain. It's definitely not a big deal, though. I know it will come, but I like to try to help him develop if/when I can.

Slow things down. Teach him to: from a stop, skis across the hill, reach down hill, plant, and then ski around the pole, stop. Then the other side. Rinse and repeat. When he get's it remove the stops.

jack97

Then try..... poke at the snake to make the turn.

jack97

The hip length thing seems like it would leave you reaching for the bumps.

When wc bumpers go into a deep absorption, the short pole keeps it from jarring the upper body. In addition, to keep that pole from getting in the way, they aim the tip at the top or at the backside (wrt to skier's view) of the mogul.