• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Post your daily base area image here!

abc

Today, I casually click on Stowe's base area cam... and it's "Off Line"!!!

Now, add that to all the other mountains whose base area web cam are pretty much never working, but just starting this season. This can't just be coincidence!

So the mountains really don't want us to know what the true situation is like: how long the lift line to get out of the base, ow crowded and whether it's orderly or chaotic, etc.

But this is not 1980 any more. We don't need to suffer overly optimistic snow report recording lines any more than "offline" web cams! We all have cell phones that has camera, which we can post image with just a couple clicks. We can beat that "information blackout" from the evil ski corporations.

So, how about this? Take a shot with your phone, post it on here while you wait in line? Just mention which resort you're at.

Of course if you feel like adding more detail, great. Still, a picture can convey a lot.

Or, if the lines are so short you don't have time, just a quick post that it's super quiet and "come join me". Some one may! :)

This way, we'll have a bunch of first hand report of crowds and conditions independent of the mountain's (worse, corporate headquarters') "official" manipulation of their report.

What say you?

Edd

I wouldn't be posting pictures on the internet if I wanted ski season to last
steve brule GIF

drjeff

Mount Snow main base, most of the morning had the queue lanes for the Bluebird and Canyon full, once mtn ops got the Grand Summit de-iced and opened up around noon, the lines for all 3 of the base area high speeds all seemed to rapidly drop to less than 5 minutes.

Lines at Carinthia were short when I made a few laps over there about 10:30.

Social distancing in line was comfortable, mask wearing was probably in the 95+% compliance during my 15 times through the lines today.

Temp dropping from above freezing around the opening bell to mid 20's by early afternoon really firmed the surface up and had many lower ability folks struggling. Just tough timing by mother nature with the temp drop timing

abc

Why should that be?

It's fine to show long lines. Unless it shows an unruly mob, maskless and on top of each other.

That doesn't seem to be the case based on the trip reports here. It's mostly just long lines.

skiur

I call bullshit, ski season is not going to be shut down regardless of pictures posted on the internet. The masses have spoken and they don't want to hide under their bed. You can go outside and safely be around other people.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I call bullshit, ski season is not going to be shut down regardless of pictures posted on the internet. The masses have spoken and they don't want to hide under their bed. You can go outside and safely be around other people.

Not true. People are reporting things and posting pictures of inadequate measures.

If we can get through the next 4 weeks I think we'll avert a shutdown.

kingslug

Hunter today was fine. Base area and most of the runs that were open before are open with plenty of coverage. Lines were short but it is the day before Newyears. Even North was open with 1 run, Overlook. Temps dropped throughout the day so it got slicker..which just means faster. And it rained last night.

kingslug

Now here is what truly annoys me. Assholes arguing with staff about putting their mask up. One dipshit, an older dipshit was arguing with a poor kid..who is just doing his job. Starts asking the kid his name, admonishing him for ..how dare he talk back to him..and my favorite..." my money pays for your job" holy shit. Thankfully the guy in front of him..al 6'6" of him turned around and told him to give the kid a break..I was too far away to join in but this guy needed a good pie in the face. WTF.

Mainer

From attitash Facebook page. Both supposed to be taken same day. Hmmmmm

Attachments

• 444839E3-61CF-4610-85CE-700080B0CCDA.jpeg
    444839E3-61CF-4610-85CE-700080B0CCDA.jpeg
    477.5 KB · Views: 25
  • D53FCC56-D1E0-4922-899A-7C87F5B60897.png
    D53FCC56-D1E0-4922-899A-7C87F5B60897.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 25

Edd

Now here is what truly annoys me. Assholes arguing with staff about putting their mask up. One dipshit, an older dipshit was arguing with a poor kid..who is just doing his job. Starts asking the kid his name, admonishing him for ..how dare he talk back to him..and my favorite..." my money pays for your job" holy shit. Thankfully the guy in front of him..al 6'6" of him turned around and told him to give the kid a break..I was too far away to join in but this guy needed a good pie in the face. WTF.
Deserves a permanent ban from the mountain.

JimG.

Staff member
Well, there's always an asshole.

Like Edd said, permanent ban from the mountain so he can keep his precious money.

cdskier

Deserves a permanent ban from the mountain.
Agreed. It is one thing to forget and have to be reminded to put your mask up, but when you start arguing with staff and refusing after they ask, that's unacceptable and should not be tolerated.

skiur

Not true. People are reporting things and posting pictures of inadequate measures.

If we can get through the next 4 weeks I think we'll avert a shutdown.

I agree people are reporting things, but it doesn't matter, ski resorts will not be shutting down again.

skiur

I dont disagree with you, unfortunately the majority of people in places like Vermont probably dont share this sentiment

This is not true. Most vermonters I talk to don't care, and don't want to shut down. The people that are complaining are the minority but they are the only ones making noise about it so it seems like there is a lot more of them than there is.