• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Powdr buys Eldora

deadheadskier

Staff member
Oh, I'm sure plenty are thinking the money would have been better spent on a new South Ridge chair, Snowdon HSQ or even Interconnect.

I think the Eldora buy is a good opportunity for them. With Vail owning so much other property, they needed another area to complement Copper.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I bet that they make it another Woodward Camp. It is the right size and location. Not a bad acquisition.

Also interesting that despite the shit show they are still based in Park City.

dlague

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/front-range/boulder/eldora-mountain-resort-bought-by-powdr-corp

Probably a good play to strengthen themselves in the Front Range local skiers market. Copper/Eldora is a nice combination.

It is a good play! Place gets busy has 680 acres with a nice bowl in the back part of the mountain with more difficult terrain and proximity to Denver and Boulder if perfect. Having the park there too would be cool!

Wonder if that gets removed from the Gem Card and added else where?

snoseek

Eldora is killer on an upslope.

There's enough salty front rangers due to both 70 circus or the vail resorts shitshow that this is a strong move imo. Is winter park still on the copper pass? Steamboat?

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

4aprice

Eldora is killer on an upslope.

There's enough salty front rangers due to both 70 circus or the vail resorts shitshow that this is a strong move imo. Is winter park still on the copper pass? Steamboat?

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

There is a pass that has Winter Park, and Copper, and I think Steamboat's on it as well. I want to say the Rocky Mountain Super Pass but I'm not sure. When the boy goes out to Denver he's going to look at that because we have the Max Pass and it would bode well for our trips out there. Hence why I asked if Eldora becomes a Max Pass Addition.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

thetrailboss

Staff member
Powdr still has a lot of free cash after selling a parking lot for $186m. Daddy did well making the best out of a bad situation.

Did you notice any capital investments at Killington? I know about the Mountain Coaster.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

steamboat1

Did you notice any capital investments at Killington? I know about the Mountain Coaster.
Mostly summer improvements, more going in this year. They seem to be doing well with the new summer attractions & expanded MTB riding. Despite what some may say Killington's winter infrastructure is doing just fine. Sure a South Ridge chair would be nice but that would only run weekends anyway just like Bear, Needles chairs & to a lesser extent the Canyon chair. I'm happy they're improving their off season revenue stream which frankly sucked beforehand. It certainly isn't hurting the resort or local business.

Last edited:

benski

Mostly summer improvements, more going in this year. They seem to be doing well with the new summer attractions & expanded MTB riding. Despite what some may say Killington's winter infrastructure is doing just fine. Sure a South Ridge chair would be nice but that would only run weekends anyway just like Bear, Needles chairs & to a lesser extent the Canyon chair. I'm happy they're improving their off season revenue stream which frankly sucked beforehand. It certainly isn't hurting the resort or local business.

killington also needs to get rid of that other lift on bear mountain. It looks so trashy without any chairs on it and rusting away in the middle of winter.

steamboat1

killington also needs to get rid of that other lift on bear mountain. It looks so trashy without any chairs on it and rusting away in the middle of winter.
I think but not sure that by leaving the towers in place on both DF & SR it makes it easier to permit a new lift in the future. The foot print is already there.

benski

The lift on Devils fiddle looks unnecessary. Do they intend to replace it. I got the feeling the ownership just had no intention of using it again so they stopped repairing it and took the chairs off before they fell off.

jimk

I agree that Eldora and Copper would be a nice combo of ski areas to visit in CO. Most know that Copper is a fine larger mtn in CO. Fewer know much about Eldora. I skied there for two days with my wife and four kids in late Dec 2003. I liked it. Not huge and you wouldn't go 2000 miles to ski there only, but nice variety if combined with a visit to Copper. They would be about 2 hours apart. I skied Eldora on the first part of a ski week and it helped with altitude adjustment because we slept in Boulder several nights near a nice downtown restaurant/shopping district. You could also ski it at the end of a trip and have quick, low traffic access to Denver airport for flight home. Eldora has a good snowmaking system and we found that a plus for our December visit. Eldora is in a beautiful setting with views of the Rockies, great plains, and nearby Barker reservoir. It might be about the size of Pico or Attitash with respect to vertical and number of runs. Pretty much all tree-lined runs, so layout has an Eastern feel. I can remember one lift line bump run that was steeper than anything at Pico or Attitash. There are also some black diamond glades. Good family place with nice, separate beginner area.
eldora.jpg

dlague

I agree that Eldora and Copper would be a nice combo of ski areas to visit in CO. Most know that Copper is a fine larger mtn in CO. Fewer know much about Eldora. I skied there for two days with my wife and four kids in late Dec 2003. I liked it. Not huge and you wouldn't go 2000 miles to ski there only, but nice variety if combined with a visit to Copper. They would be about 2 hours apart. I skied Eldora on the first part of a ski week and it helped with altitude adjustment because we slept in Boulder several nights near a nice downtown restaurant/shopping district. You could also ski it at the end of a trip and have quick, low traffic access to Denver airport for flight home. Eldora has a good snowmaking system and we found that a plus for our December visit. Eldora is in a beautiful setting with views of the Rockies, great plains, and nearby Barker reservoir. It might be about the size of Pico or Attitash with respect to vertical and number of runs. Pretty much all tree-lined runs, so layout has an Eastern feel. I can remember one lift line bump run that was steeper than anything at Pico or Attitash. There are also some black diamond glades. Good family place with nice, separate beginner area.
View attachment 20319

Eldora is not two hours from Copper. Two hours from Cooper - yes. Might be splitting hairs on this but more 1.5 hours. We stayed in Dillon and Copper is real close and Eldora was an easy drive as well.

Eldora is 680 acres which is much bigger that Pico or Attitash. Feels smaller compared to other places in CO.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Eldora is not two hours from Copper. Two hours from Cooper - yes. Might be splitting hairs on this but more 1.5 hours. We stayed in Dillon and Copper is real close and Eldora was an easy drive as well.

Eldora is 680 acres which is much bigger that Pico or Attitash. Feels smaller compared to other places in CO.

Funny how 680 acres feels small.

dlague

Funny how 680 acres feels small.

Probably due to they way they are set up in two separate pods. Most on here would ski the back pod mostly and that is about 1/3 of the place. 50% is intermediate which is on the front side. When you pick apart a 1600 ft vertices that way it can feel small.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I know by and large Western areas are massive compared to the east, but don't most count acreage boundary to boundary?

As an example. Stowe reports only 485 acres. I've only visited Eldora in the summer 23 years ago. It certainly didn't seem almost 50% again larger than Stowe IIRC