• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pretty good weekend for my son

Vortex

Monday, June 20, 2011 South’s Rogowsky 5th at Decathlon

NASHUA – Nashua High School South junior Connor Rogowsky was hoping he would be atop the leaderboard by the end of Day 2 at the 55th New Hampshire Decathlon. Deep down, Rogowsky knew this was Monadnock senior Nick Athanasopoulos’ event to lose.

“I felt pretty good going into (Sunday),” Rogowsky said, “I thought about winning it briefly, but I knew Nick had this pretty much wrapped up.”

Rogowsky earned the area’s top finish in either the Decathlon or the 35th Heptathlon for girls, grabbing fifth place with 5,088 points. He was 1,306 points behind the Decathlon champion from Monadnock.

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/spor...386-221/souths-rogowsky-5th-at-decathlon.html

full article

Coming in behind Athanasopoulos (6,394) and in front of Rogowsky were runner-up Blake Pearson (5,444 points) of Fall Mountain, Pinkerton Academy’s Chris Selke (5,329) and Matthew Dionne (5,192) of Timberlane Regional in Plaistow.

Sunday’s slate of events gave Rogowsky his best individual result, as he was part of a three-way tie for second place in the pole vault at 12 feet, 0 inches. His top finish on Day 1 was a six-way tie for fourth in the high jump at 5 feet, 8 inches.

“It was pretty awesome,” said Rogowsky of his Top 5 finish. “I knew the pole vault would be my best event, just because I’ve been doing it all season. It was my first season doing it, but some of these athletes have never tried it. The whole experience was awesome.”

Rogowsky is already putting Sunday’s fifth-place finish behind him. It’s just another building block for his senior campaign. Freshman year, he finished in the 50s (he believes it was 56th). Sophomore year it was up to 25th. Senior year?

“Who knows what’s possible,” Rogowsky said. “I’ve improved a lot since freshman year, so it will be fun going into this event again next year and trying hard to get that top spot.”

Other local boys finishing the Decathlon in the Top 40 were Rogowsky’s teammates Shawn DeCost, who finished 12th with 4,641 points, Ray Ramos (21st, 4,273) and Keith Guay (39th, 3,748); the Merrimack duo of Chaz Myers (20th, 4,278) and Alex Doyle (29th, 3,991); and Souhegan’s Trevor Brown (38th, 3,843).

In the 35th Heptathlon, it was Nashua High School North’s Sarah Kert gaining top local honors with 2,839 points for 19th place overall.

Exeter’s Hillary Holmes won the event with 4,358 points. Rounding out the Top 5 for girls was the Londonderry tandem of Katie Schwarz (4,053) and Megan Schwarz (3,956), Timberlane’s Taylor Ordway (3,602) and Jen Athanasopoulos (3,487) of Monadnock Regional in Swanzey.

Other local girls finishing in the Top 40 were the Souhegan duo of Emily Ballantyne (33rd, 2,464) and Angela Blume (37th, 2,406); and Hollis/Brookline’s Kenzie Whalen (40th, 2,296).

Complete results of both events can be found online at http://www.raiderresults.com/results/live/

cut and pasted from the nashua telgraph today. some pictures as well

Warp Daddy

Well Done Young man !! Nice Father;s day present for the ole man too :D:D

Have a warm spot in my heart for Track and field athletes -- usually great kids !!! We thoroughly enjoyed following our son's Track and XC careers thru HS and University. Always impressed with both the athleticism and the sportsmanship displayed .

SkiDork

Rogowsky earned the area’s top finish in either the Decathlon or the 35th Heptathlon for girls, grabbing fifth place with 5,088 points. He was 1,306 points behind the Decathlon champion from Monadnock.

What exactly does this mean?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Awesome. My good friend from high school was (is?) a huge track fan - I don't think he did decathlon but track & field is a special kind of breed. My wife was a sprinter in high school.

You must be very proud!

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Nice work by your son. I did decathlon in college and loved it. It is tough to train for in high school since the training time is often very limited. Is he going to be doing T+F in college? A score around 5000 for a New England high school athlete can often be bumped up over 6000 with the additional training offered by a college program.
That Athanasopoulos guy that won the meet must be going somewhere to run. 6400 in HS is very good.

Vortex

I belive Nick A is going to Cornell. Got it going on many fronts. My son is in limo, but his goal it to do track and find a place to snowboard too.

ctenidae

THat's prety cool- congrats to your son!

(and sorry for hijacking your thread title- just seemed a great opportunity)

JimG.

Staff member
Congrats Bob; pass my best onto your son.

My middle son Peter is a freshman in HS and runs the 400m and 400m relay on varsity. He's very serious about it; made all-county 1st team in winter and spring and also was named outstanding underclassman both seasons. He's just learning how to run the event and frankly still has no real clue, but he's running low 52's which I'm told is pretty good for a frosh.

Vortex

Congrats Bob; pass my best onto your son.

My middle son Peter is a freshman in HS and runs the 400m and 400m relay on varsity. He's very serious about it; made all-county 1st team in winter and spring and also was named outstanding underclassman both seasons. He's just learning how to run the event and frankly still has no real clue, but he's running low 52's which I'm told is pretty good for a frosh.

My son's 400 relay team made the state finals. I think they were 2nd in the state. He runs the 400 and 100 indvidually and the relays for both as well. Low 52 for a freshman, that is great. Low 52 period any age is great. Sounds light a bright future. Be careful. Indoor winter track casues issues with ski season. :)

Thanks for all the nice messages.

JimG.

Staff member
My son's 400 relay team made the state finals. I think they were 2nd in the state. He runs the 400 and 100 indvidually and the relays for both as well. Low 52 for a freshman, that is great. Low 52 period any age is great. Sounds light a bright future. Be careful. Indoor winter track casues issues with ski season. :)

Thanks for all the nice messages.

We've worked around the skiing conflicts for years now. When my 2 oldest got really serious about soccer years ago they both gave up on skiing because of the conflicts. I don't mind at all...as long as they are active, I don't try to tell them what sport to participate in. I do admit that I'm happy my youngest James only wants to ski with his Dad. Smart...he sees skiing as his time to be alone and take trips with Dad.

My oldest David is a soccer player only. And it keeps him very busy. Peter runs track and plays soccer. But Peter is insanely competitive and somehow handles both, and that includes his respective coaches trying to convince him to choose one over the other (which I think is stupid, but that's what we do to kids today).