• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Professional Boot Fitting

MattMc

I am need of a good boot fitting. My boots are 2 years old and haven't been able to get them right.
Anyone know of a good custom boot fitter near the North Shore of Boston?

hammer

See Steve at the Ski Haus in Burlington, MA.
Thanks for the recommendation...this place is right down the road from where I work. I like my boots and they were sized right, but the volume is a bit on the big side...would like to see if any shims would help.

meff

Thanks for the recommendation...this place is right down the road from where I work. I like my boots and they were sized right, but the volume is a bit on the big side...would like to see if any shims would help.

Not to be mean, but if the volume is on the big size then they weren't sized right.

hammer

Not to be mean, but if the volume is on the big size then they weren't sized right.
You may have a point, but the issue I have is not one of length, it's that the brand and style of boots I purchased has a toe box that is a bit on the big side over the top of the foot. I can usually get the boot snug enough with the buckles at this point but I don't want to buckle down too much and cause other issues.

My previous pair of boots (different brand and style) were better in this way, but in retrospect I think they were too snug above the instep...I had persistent arch cramping which I tried to get resolved but never got completely there. I don't have that problem with my current boots.

Ideally I should find another brand that fits my foot better but for the amount and style of skiing I do I could get by with what I have.

Last edited:

puckoach

I did a "world tour" of shops a few years ago, to get my wife fitted properly. On her feet all day, and having problems because of it, we went to 15+ shops. Most had "fitting" reps.

I found that the depth of inventory at Rogers in Lincoln was the answer. Pete had the patients and experience to fit her correctly. When all others had failed. New old stock, but it was the right one.

So, happy to have a well fitted boot, she wanted a full ski/binding/helmet upgrade at that time. Since then I have gotten ski/bindings and boots there as well.

Stopped and saw him the other day, glad I did, just a great guy that will help you out.

yeggous

I did a "world tour" of shops a few years ago, to get my wife fitted properly. On her feet all day, and having problems because of it, we went to 15+ shops. Most had "fitting" reps.

I found that the depth of inventory at Rogers in Lincoln was the answer. Pete had the patients and experience to fit her correctly. When all others had failed. New old stock, but it was the right one.

So, happy to have a well fitted boot, she wanted a full ski/binding/helmet upgrade at that time. Since then I have gotten ski/bindings and boots there as well.

Stopped and saw him the other day, glad I did, just a great guy that will help you out.

Rogers in Lincoln is very pricey. I too have done the world tour of boot fitting for the princess. I'd recommend either Northern Ski Works in Killington or Stan and Dan's in North Conway. Both had very, very good service. I too tried Ski Haus in Burlington, MA. Their service was okay (I'm not complaining), but the other two shops were light years ahead. While I have never tried them from boots, my favorite shop in general is Ken Jones (Proctor Jones) in Nashua.

timm

Not North Shore but not too far depending on where you are, Ski Stop in Canton (and there's one other location I believe) do an awesome job fitting. My only gripe would be somewhat limited selection, but they will make sure you get into right boot and spend a lot of time with you to do it. Worth checking America's Best Bootfitters' website also as I believe they have a shop finder on there.

timm

I actually went to the Westwood Ski Stop recently for an adjustment on one of my boots. Bigger selection there than the Canton store. Also they are "getting out" of the AT business so whatever touring boots they have left are apparently on deep discount if anyone is in the market.

hippiechick

Thanks Scotty, but I'm nowhere near Boston... :)

Methinks it might be time for a new pair. I'll probably rag these out one or two more times this season, and see about sales in the fall for new ones...

ScottySkis

Methinks it might be time for a new pair. I'll probably rag these out one or two more times this season, and see about sales in the fall for new ones...

Okay well just a few things.
Their are plenty of great boot fitters near you in Albany area.
Lots of great threads on here or you could just start a new thread, but I highly highly recommend a boot fitter that has a great customers feedback. This is more important then skis. I know I and others have had great fitting at Mt Snow ski shop.
Also I know its a little far but Potterbrothers in Kingston NY has always been great with my wacky feet. Once you get your boots fitted you wonder why you ever sat in that pain. Greatest sales will come in the next few weeks.

snowmonster

I actually went to the Westwood Ski Stop recently for an adjustment on one of my boots. Bigger selection there than the Canton store. Also they are "getting out" of the AT business so whatever touring boots they have left are apparently on deep discount if anyone is in the market.

Thanks for this. I've been looking for reviews about the Westwood store and could never find any. Need to do some work on my Factors and our resident boot fitter on AZ has gone to the Great Beyond.

Gilligan

Greatest sales will come in the next few weeks.
To repeat Scotty's wisdom, "Greatest sales will come in the next few weeks." You will probably find the best bargains/selection in the Spring. The shops would rather not carry the inventory over into the Fall. Plus they are usually less busy and can provide better service.

hippiechick

To repeat Scotty's wisdom, "Greatest sales will come in the next few weeks." You will probably find the best bargains/selection in the Spring. The shops would rather not carry the inventory over into the fall. Plus they are usually less busy and can provide better service.

I'll keep that in mind. I know when I bought my skis way back when, I got the last season's model that I was lusting over during a Labor Day sale for way cheap. I guess I was thinking along those lines...

jack97

IMO, boots are more important than skis. In addtion to comfort and fit, the type of boot is something skiers can choose as well. I would do some research on which type of boots best fits the type of skiing you like.

Scruffy

See Keith at the Pro in Hunter, he'll treat you right. Get orthodics (sp?) if you don't already have them. Once you have good orthodics and the correct fitting boot, your skiing world will change for the better. I have 2 pairs of boots, one is 15 years old and I use it out west on my fatties, the other is 2 years old race technica I use on all other skis I have, I don't crank my buckles on either pair, foot is nestled right in the orthodics, buckles loose-ish, never get cold feet either.

ScottySkis

IMO, boots are more important than skis. In addtion to comfort and fit, the type of boot is something skiers can choose as well. I would do some research on which type of boots best fits the type of skiing you like.

+100

See why don't you go to Mt Snow, Dr Jeff loves this. Bootfitter so do I, you can go to Mt snow, now have sales at shop now, probably 50% regular price. You never need to unbuckle again in the lodge. No moer pain ever.:thumbup::thumbup::):):)