• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Question about Crotched

LVNLARG

What were they thinking when they named their area? What's next...Herpie Hill ? lol...joking...sort of. I'm not sure what marketing guru came up with that name back in the day but he definately missed the "keep words that might create bad conotations in customers minds about your product out of your marketing" class. Some might disagree ...but honestly... the name has always turned me off ...and well..the last thing you want to do is turn a customer off. My actual real question is this: I was looking at an old brochure for the place from the 80's today and they have a whole extra area off to the left of the main area looking up on the old map. This area is almost the size of main area and the mountain as it stands today. What happend to that??? :blink:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Crotched is the name of the mountain that the ski area is on...sometimes you take your mountains as you find them. Yes, Crotched-Onset were two ski areas that were interconnected and they both closed in the 1980's before one side was purchased by Peak Ski Resorts and reopened in 2003.

sledhaulingmedic

The West side (what is currently open) was actually called "Bobcat" when it was purchased by a joint venture between Crotched Mountain and Waterville Valley. For more, check out the NELSAP page: http://www.nelsap.org/nh/crotched.html

I like that peak resorts kept the name. I think it helps identify it with the previous operation. I just wish they'd bring back our old "unofficial" marketing slogan...

LVNLARG

thetrailboss said:
Crotched is the name of the mountain that the ski area is on...sometimes you take your mountains as you find them. Yes, Crotched-Onset were two ski areas that were interconnected and they both closed in the 1980's before one side was purchased by Peak Ski Resorts and reopened in 2003.

When faced a mountain with a questionable name you re-name to something like Happy Valley Resort and in smaller print underneath put At Crotched Mountain. That way skiers at the water cooler on monday morning can say they went to Happy instead of The Crotch..lol. Why didn't they buy the whole thing ? I was actually there late one night this summer and it seemed so far back in the woods that the land wouldn't have been hard to come buy. Do the lifts on the closed side remain? Do people poach over there? :beer:

thetrailboss

Staff member
LVNLARG said:
thetrailboss said:

When faced a mountain with a questionable name you re-name to something like Happy Valley Resort and in smaller print underneath put At Crotched Mountain. That way skiers at the water cooler on monday morning can say they went to Happy instead of The Crotch..lol. Why didn't they buy the whole thing ? I was actually there late one night this summer and it seemed so far back in the woods that the land wouldn't have been hard to come buy. Do the lifts on the closed side remain? Do people poach over there? :beer:

I think that anyone with an MBA would see that the name is actually working :wink: We've spent tonight talking about the ski area because of it...not bad. It may not be the best, but hell, it sticks.

thebigo

We all remember the old saying about crotched:

Ski the Crotch, Its Hairy

LVNLARG

thetrailboss said:
I think that anyone with an MBA would see that the name is actually working :wink: We've spent tonight talking about the ski area because of it...not bad. It may not be the best, but hell, it sticks.

Yes...we're talking bout it..but..in reference to name....I'm basicly talking about the reason I havn't been :blink:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
if you haven't been because of something so silly as a name, you are missing out. especially early season, these guys do man made better than any one else around by far. and for the record, they don't have anything too hairy. any more at least. regarding 'poaching' the other side, you'd need to do some traversing and hiking. i considered it when i was in the area and i am sure it's done, not sure how worth the effort it is but couldn't be too bad on a powder day since crotched grooms pretty much everything flat.

stomachdoc

sledhaulingmedic said:
The West side (what is currently open) was actually called "Bobcat" when it was purchased by a joint venture between Crotched Mountain and Waterville Valley. For more, check out the NELSAP page: http://www.nelsap.org/nh/crotched.html

I like that peak resorts kept the name. I think it helps identify it with the previous operation. I just wish they'd bring back our old "unofficial" marketing slogan...

Waterville Valley? I didn't realize that they were ever involved with Crotched :dunce:

LVNLARG

stomachdoc said:
sledhaulingmedic said:

Waterville Valley? I didn't realize that they were ever involved with Crotched :dunce:

Hey stomachdoc....why don't you weigh in on "ski area pit stops" with the worst places to stop in at on the way home..lol :lol:

sledhaulingmedic

stomachdoc said:
sledhaulingmedic said:

Well, it's something now, mostly lost in "The Crotch's" history. Onset was sold in the Mid-70's and became Bobcat. When the new owner realized it was not going to be a money making affair, he looked to his neighbor, The Crotch (then owned by Tim Gannett) to buy him out. Gannett formed a new corporation with Waterville Valley or with Tom Corcoran (then the principal of WV) and bought Bobcat. That lasted a few years and ultimatly, Gannett bought out the WV interest.

In it's (original) heyday, the Crotch had a huge trail count and some nooks and crannys that held some interest for those who knew about them. The new Crotch is quite a different beast, shaved, rather than hairy, but their snowmaking is amazing and they seriously cater to the new school, whether on one plank or two.

Although it's a far cry from the backyard playgorund of my youth, it's great to see it open and thriving.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Crotched Mountain was named well before anyone ever thought of placing a ski area there. There is also a very famous (if you are in the field) rehabilitation center on the mountain. Crotched Mountain Rehabilitation Center deals with many different disabilities. I know of a young girl with CP that is there.

Going by your arguement, the name is keeping you away, You could probably add Suicide 6 to your list of places to stay away from. If you've ever been there you will know that it is no way what the name applies.

stomachdoc

sledhaulingmedic said:
stomachdoc said:
sledhaulingmedic said:

Well, it's something now, mostly lost in "The Crotch's" history. Onset was sold in the Mid-70's and became Bobcat. When the new owner realized it was not going to be a money making affair, he looked to his neighbor, The Crotch (then owned by Tim Gannett) to buy him out. Gannett formed a new corporation with Waterville Valley or with Tom Corcoran (then the principal of WV) and bought Bobcat. That lasted a few years and ultimatly, Gannett bought out the WV interest.

In it's (original) heyday, the Crotch had a huge trail count and some nooks and crannys that held some interest for those who knew about them. The new Crotch is quite a different beast, shaved, rather than hairy, but their snowmaking is amazing and they seriously cater to the new school, whether on one plank or two.

Although it's a far cry from the backyard playgorund of my youth, it's great to see it open and thriving.

That's why I love A-Z ... you learn something new every day!!! :beer:

BeanoNYC

As an aside, remember a dietary aid called AIDS in the early 80's .... guess they changed their name.....

Charlie Schuessler

The east side lifts are not operating, I don't know if they are still there...the trails and base area are very overgrown...as far as poaching, take a wild guess...

sledhaulingmedic

Last time as was over at East, the buildings were taken down (even the sheds over the lft terminals. I though the lifts were supposed to be removed quite a while ago.

The last time I hiked East was probably 5 years ago and the brush was rapidly taking over. There are a couple of work roads that remain clear, but that's it.

There were a couple of great Old School trails, 3 & 4, on the original map, "Dipsy Doodle" and "Old Glory" later on. I think you'd be hard pressed to find much of them now :cry: