• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Question to the frequent "flyers" with skis, do you check-in online?

CoolMike

This thread has me worried. I am moving back to New York after a semester abroad and have to bring 2 checked bags on 2 flights on 2 airlines with a 2 day stopover in Dublin.

Don't worry about this if your traveling any of the mainline (Lufthansa, AirFrance, TAP, LOT, Alitalia, BA, Aer Lingus, etc) European airlines into Dublin. If your on one of the low cost carriers (EasyJet or similar) than you will have to pay for the checked luggage. For the Dublin to US flight its an international flight so you can check pretty large and pretty heavy bags (50kg or less per bag I think). There most likely won't be any extra fee for this unless you are flying one of the US carriers home. The US carriers will charge you something like 25$ for the first bag and 75$ for the second bag, unless you are booked into premium economy or have airline status.

Either way the process inside the EU and from the EU to the US is usually really good.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
not to side track this thread but i will NEVER fly spirit airlines again.

Spirit sucks - BUT - if you know the rules you can get decent flights. ANd it's good if you can avoid a connection since they won''t give you any kind of compensation for a missed flight.

That said, I have flown round trip with the family on Spirit to Myrtle Beach for under $100 before from Boston , direct flight, with no bags, and that works out OK.

drjeff

For that specifically, I’ll tip a $20. Haven’t had an issue yet.

A $20 tip has sometimes made the curbside checked skis to suddenly be comped. Definitely this is the way to go.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

Walking up to curbside with a bunch of BIG ski gear bags, and a $20 visibly out in my hand, has never resulted in an extra bag and/or overweight baggage fee in my travels! Same things works when traveling with any big bag, golf bag, etc., in my experiences....

Edd

Question to the frequent "flyers" with skis, do you check-in online?

But the bag fee is only $25. A $5 saving (unless there’re multiple ski bags)

For me the tip is to ensure the bag is attended to properly and sent to the right place. Anything like waived charges would be icing on the cake and not something I’d expect.

chuckstah

For me the tip is to ensure the bag is attended to properly and sent to the right place. Anything like waived charges would be icing on the cake and not something I’d expect.
This. And to make sure they don,t weigh the ski/boot bag as one and charge a hefty overweight bag charge. I stuff both bags full of jackets, gloves etc.

abc

This. And to make sure they don,t weigh the ski/boot bag as one and charge a hefty overweight bag charge. I stuff both bags full of jackets, gloves etc.
At the United bag drop at United, there’s a scale you can try your bags on.

I didn’t need to try though. I have a Sportube single, into which I squeeze two pairs of skis ( binding removed & put in the boot bag), plus spare jackets and gloves, my bag came to 47 pounds. BUT, my boots are NOT in that package (it’s in my carry-on)

Last edited:

chuckstah

At the United bag drop at United, there’s a scale you can try your bags on.

I didn’t need to try though. I have a Sportube single, with two pairs of skis in it ( binding removed & put in the boot bag), plus spare jackets and gloves, my bag came to 47 pounds. BUT, my boots are NOT in that package (it’s in my carry-on)
I check both my ski and boot bag as one, and bring a carry on with whatever wouldn,t stuff into them. Likely overweight every time. In about 40 ski trips I had one piece of luggage misplaced, (skis) and it was delivered to the condo the next day. United paid for the cost of demo skis for that first day. My boots made it so no issue there. It's a chance I'm willing to take, although I reallize that many won't.

benski

This thread has me worried. I am moving back to New York after a semester abroad and have to bring 2 checked bags on 2 flights on 2 airlines with a 2 day stopover in Dublin.
Update. I had booked threw a unhelpful thirds part for my flight to Dublin.
Problem 1. They sent me to the wrong check in, 900 feet out of the way. The airport made the same mistake though and the original desk location clearly should have gone with the gate the flight used. 900 feet out of the way, Well over 100 pound of luggage in three bags.

Problem 2. My reservation is not in the system. It took me over an hour to figure out the booking company was not going to fix it correctly and i could do so myself but would have to pay out of pocket. Due to the east coast storm a lot of there customers were bumped to later connections and had the option to bump both flights, opening up many seats. The booking company told me they could only put me on a later flight. I knew this was bullshit and refused. I talked them into a reimbursement for a last minuet ticket. The ticket only covered 1 20kg bag. I had two that where 43kg but got away with it. At this point I was warned to quickly walk to the furthest international gate, with max sized carry on. I get there in time, and claim a close empty row on an empty flight.

Problem 3. One bag, with euro coins, dirty laundry and toiletries, is missing. It supposedly is on the later flight. I am not sure why it happened but I did not pay for it but had a baggage claim sticker. I intended to take the toiletries out and lock it at the airport till Sunday but Aer Lingus offered to drive them to my hotel. I told them to keep it at the airport, which they will do but claiming it might be complicated.

Problem 4. My Sunday flight to Newburgh turns out to be an hour earlier on Kayak and Norwiegen.com then there confirmation Email.

Long story short, YOU GUYS JINXED ME.

Last edited:

abc

I check both my ski and boot bag as one, and bring a carry on with whatever wouldn,t stuff into them. Likely overweight every time. In about 40 ski trips I had one piece of luggage misplaced, (skis) and it was delivered to the condo the next day. United paid for the cost of demo skis for that first day. My boots made it so no issue there. It's a chance I'm willing to take, although I reallize that many won't.
Yep, count me as one of those who won't take that chance.

I too, make many ski trips I lost count. Only once my luggage didn't arrive with me. Guess what? It's my skis and my "boot bag"!

But my boots were not in it, it's in my carry on. So no stress. A couple days later, there was a dump near home, I went skiing as I still have my boots (I have spare skis at home)

A little known policy (British Airway): if your luggage is delayed on your homeward bound leg, you're NOT entitled for compensation! So no luck in getting a comp'ed demo.

After that experience, I was even more convinced to carry my boots with me on the plane.

abc

Just saw that news about the JFK water main break. Thousands of luggage, some sitting on the tarmac, still awaiting to be dispatched to their rightful owners days later... do you think they can manage not to lose any?

benski

I got stuck on a plane at Stewart airport for 3 hours after that mess supposedly due to that terminal shutting down. My alternative flights to that one either used the flooded out terminal or landed January 5th.

I think they can do it. They already have the correct tag and no tsa to add extra steps there isn't time for, so they will avoid there usual pitfalls.