• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged 03-02-08 Sweeeeeeeeeet!

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
Ragged Mountain, 3-2-8, Powder/Packed Powder

First of all, there is tons of snow near and on this mountain. Here is a picture of a house in Salisbury. Beyond the snowbank is the snow from the roof which has piled up as high as the front door (which, by the way, we never use in NH anyhow).

3998756734_ORIG.jpg

We got on the mountain at 8:30 and skied nearly till 4pm.

The powder from yesterday's storm was bit stiff in places early in the day but got softer as it was skied and the sun hit it. The woods were beautiful. For a smallish mountain, you just don't get bored on days like this. I'll let the pictures do the talking from here.

Go tomorrow if you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3998756751_ORIG-1.jpg

3998756741_ORIG.jpg

3998756751_ORIG.jpg

DCFC0018.jpg

DCFC0015.jpg

3997878858_ORIG.jpg

3997878848_ORIG.jpg

DCFC0028.jpg

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I can believe it. We drove through central NH Friday and today. My daughter said, "these places have as much snow as Stowe!" I think these areas must have had outstanding skiing this weekend.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
The neighbor with whom I ski and I discussed going further but decided on Ragged as we had passes and like it's disposition. We concluded that we could not have had a better ski day anywhere else than the one we had today (plus it's just over an hour from home). I'm not going to try to compare the two mountains, but the part of me that really enjoyed MRG a few weeks ago really liked Ragged today. Not bad for southern/central NH! This place has plenty of woods skiing.

Bostonian

I was at Ragged yesterday and the conditions were fabulous. I got there around 10ish (a little later then I wanted) and the snow was already softening up. All in all an amazing day :)

Bumpsis

I was there on Sunday as well and although the parking lots were all full, the area did not seem to be so crowded. The 6-pack chair was taking care of the line quite well and there is enough trails from the top to disperse the crowds.

It was a sweet day and I was really impressed with the changes. My previous visit to this place was about 10 year ago or longer,but I always thought that this place is perfect to bring my kids to. Just big enough to feel substantial for the kids, and not too small so you feel bored.
We've been doing the weekend day trips to Sunapee, but that place has really turned into a zoo on weekends

I was actually really impressed with the quality of tree skiing trails. Long, sustained pitches, decent tree spacings so you really feel like you skiing woods, but no so tight that you fear for your life if you pick up a bit of speed. The "rags to riches" and others that are in "The Ravine" were really fun. Given the conditions (soft), it was actually a blast.
The double fall line and moguls found on Sweepstakes, actually gave me a nice little workout.
Moneywise, for a day tripping family like ours, Ragged is actually a better choice than Sunapee.
The kids had a blast and so did the parents.

It's too bad that you really need some decent duping for these trees to be skiable. I was told by some locals that this doesn't happen often.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
It's too bad that you really need some decent duping for these trees to be skiable. I was told by some locals that this doesn't happen often.

This, and Black (NH), are two of my favorite places to hit after a dump. Tons of vertical is not that important when technical challenges abound. I wish (since I live 40 minutes away) that Gunstock could find ways to make some more challenging runs. Most of the time, it's just not the workout I'm looking for. I enjoy big mountain skiing as much as anyone here but there are times when the smaller places are just right. Ragged is finding the right way to mix groomed and ungroomed to make a full day of skiing.

bobbutts

This, and Black (NH), are two of my favorite places to hit after a dump. Tons of vertical is not that important when technical challenges abound. I wish (since I live 40 minutes away) that Gunstock could find ways to make some more challenging runs. Most of the time, it's just not the workout I'm looking for. I enjoy big mountain skiing as much as anyone here but there are times when the smaller places are just right. Ragged is finding the right way to mix groomed and ungroomed to make a full day of skiing.

I totally agree with your post except having not been to Gunstock in a long time and never to Black, just need to replace:
Gunstock with Sunapee
Black with Ascutney
and the same applies