• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

RIP Lou

deadheadskier

Staff member
[FONT=function_probook]We had the honor of playing with Lou Reed on a festival bill in Germany when we were touring with the Violent Femmes in 1992. As we were walking up onstage, Lou was sitting in the grass next to the stage. I nervously approached and said hi, and he said “go up there and show em’ how to Rock and Roll, after all, we invented it.” His comment made my head spin. The entire time we were up onstage playing I was thinking, “did he mean Americans, or him and The Velvet Underground?” Because either statement would be true. Think about it for a second… long before the Ramones, without whom there never would have been the Sex Pistols or punk music, long before Patti Smith, long before Glam, noise rock, grunge, indie, long before the Smiths, Pavement, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, and on and on… there was Lou Reed.[/FONT]
[FONT=function_probook]
Thank you, Lou. You are the true father of Rock and Roll. We all are forever in your debt.[/FONT]

[FONT=function_probook]
- Trey Anastasio

Phish opened last nights show with Rock & Roll

[/FONT]

Cornhead

[FONT=function_probook]We had the honor of playing with Lou Reed on a festival bill in Germany when we were touring with the Violent Femmes in 1992. As we were walking up onstage, Lou was sitting in the grass next to the stage. I nervously approached and said hi, and he said “go up there and show em’ how to Rock and Roll, after all, we invented it.” His comment made my head spin. The entire time we were up onstage playing I was thinking, “did he mean Americans, or him and The Velvet Underground?” Because either statement would be true. Think about it for a second… long before the Ramones, without whom there never would have been the Sex Pistols or punk music, long before Patti Smith, long before Glam, noise rock, grunge, indie, long before the Smiths, Pavement, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, and on and on… there was Lou Reed.[/FONT]
[FONT=function_probook]
Thank you, Lou. You are the true father of Rock and Roll. We all are forever in your debt.[/FONT]

[FONT=function_probook]
- Trey Anastasio

[/FONT]
What a great story, R.I.P. Lou.

WoodCore

[FONT=function_probook]

[/FONT]

I was at the show in Hartford last night and it was a great Rock & Roll. Trey offered some great words in remembrance of Lou and the crowd rallied with a loud chant of LOU before launching into Ocelot.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I read a quote in one of his eulogies that went something to the effect of, "Only 10,000 people bought Velvet Underground's albums, but all 10,000 went on to start bands."

dmc

[FONT=function_probook]

[/FONT]

Was there last night... Very nice... We all called it... I was hoping for "Oh! Sweet Nuthin'" for an encore... Didn't happen...

RIP Lou....

dmc

I was at the show in Hartford last night and it was a great Rock & Roll. Trey offered some great words in remembrance of Lou and the crowd rallied with a loud chant of LOU before launching into Ocelot.

Forgot about the Loooooou cheers last night... When all the WOOOOS started we said LOOOOOOOU instead...

Cannonball

Palladia aired a great Lou Reed show on Fri or Sat night (can't remember) before he passed. Maybe they knew this was coming? Regardless, it was a terrific recent-ish performance that reminded me what an amazing talent he was, even I didn't frequently listen to him.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Gov't Mule's encore from last night:

Encore
Walk On The Wild Side First Time Played
Sweet Jane with Matt Abts on Lead Vocal, Danny Louis on Bass & Jorgen Carlsson on Drums; First Time Played
I'm Waiting For My Man >
Walk On The Wild Side Reprise

ScottySkis

Palladia aired a great Lou Reed show on Fri or Sat night (can't remember) before he passed. Maybe they knew this was coming? Regardless, it was a terrific recent-ish performance that reminded me what an amazing talent he was, even I didn't frequently listen to him.

There airing him now on same channel what a great legend.