• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ripsaw at Loon

Northeastskier293

I think I'm going to loon sometime soon. I would like to know what their new double-black (It was new last year), ripsaw is like. I read on their snow report that they'll open it on saturday. What's it like?

Thanks for any responses :)

WJenness

It's steep with a couple rollers at the top... Pretty wide... skied it on two occasions. Once it was groomed out, and once was after some fresh snow... The day it was groomed it was pretty slick.

The steepness adds some challenge, but I didn't find it all that interesting.

-w

It's narrower at the top for a short time and drops right after a tree island, I thought the island was a good idea and made it interesting. Its basically one really steep drop and the run out skis just like cruiser. It really isn't that bad, its like a really wide version of Angel Street headwall and is probably triple that length. Definitely the steepest trail at Loon but I think it looks worse than it is with the lift running across it. Its not the best trail at Loon but it can be fun.

Ripsaw
586.jpg

Island Before the drop
589.jpg

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
It's steep with a couple rollers at the top... Pretty wide... skied it on two occasions. Once it was groomed out, and once was after some fresh snow... The day it was groomed it was pretty slick.

The steepness adds some challenge, but I didn't find it all that interesting.

-w

Very good assessment. I skied it once, last year during President's Day weekend. It was during a snow drought, so it was groomed and kind of boring.

AMAC2233

I agree that it is steep but boring. On the other hand, the two new trails below Ripsaw look sick from what they have so far. Much narrower and twistier.

rocojerry

one section is steep, i'd say single-black diamond worthy steep.... the rest is a Blue trail at most mtns, but a pretty good one....

Double-black rating probably because it ices up and theres some people hesitant about going down that may be in your way on a weekend....