• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback Maine

skef

Alright, Saddleback is now in the “been there, done that” column. I will be back (when there’s more snow).

Started out the day on Tight Line, the only one of the “Kennebago Steeps” still in play. Getting there required walking:
0D6C365C-6E08-46ED-A07F-861240FD8029.jpeg

And Tight Line itself entailed some tight turns:
25667297-7FB3-421F-A846-E79E2A68FE36.jpeg

Royal Coachman skied a bit better (you can hit the top part from Grey Ghost via a little gap in the woods):
2DD603DE-4EA7-46FE-81A4-6F7FBF179E1D.jpeg

It’s a shame that my schedule + COVID travel restrictions kept me away during the heart of the season. This is a good mountain.
AE6819BE-5FAD-4E7E-846C-6DFCCBDF32C5.jpeg

KustyTheKlown

thank you for those pics. i was considering saddleback/sugarloaf this weekend, but its sooooo far, and those pics have convinced me its not worth the distance right now even if they pick up a foot.

foofy

What a difference a couple weeks makes. Mid-winter packed powder to...that.

soposkier

I took a picture of Tight Line from almost the exact same spot on Saturday (4/10) for comparison!
PXL_20210410_172706172.jpg
Muleskinner and some woods were even skiable.

PXL_20210410_155056022.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
Love the modest approach. Far more my speed than the typically opulence built these days.

And yes, increasing bed base is key to making Saddleback work.

mister moose

'Modest approach' is fine, but didn't A-frames go out with VW camper buses and 8 track tapes? No light in the sides, tons of low ceilings, and a tunnel floor plan. I guess you'll never need to shovel the roof, but at ~$500 sq ft, it seems extremely pricy for a resort 80 miles past nowhere and is just now trying to re-build a customer base.

By comparison, you can get a slope side condo at Jay, which is only 30 miles from an interstate, albeit a few years old, for $267 a sq ft, nearly half the price.

machski

'Modest approach' is fine, but didn't A-frames go out with VW camper buses and 8 track tapes? No light in the sides, tons of low ceilings, and a tunnel floor plan. I guess you'll never need to shovel the roof, but at ~$500 sq ft, it seems extremely pricy for a resort 80 miles past nowhere and is just now trying to re-build a customer base.

By comparison, you can get a slope side condo at Jay, which is only 30 miles from an interstate, albeit a few years old, for $267 a sq ft, nearly half the price.
Yes, and that is a condo and these are stand alone homes. Single family trailside homes would need to be the true comparison and there is nothing like these trailside anywhere, both size and price. I would think if SR put these up trailside at SR, you would need to add a quarter million to each pricetag. At SB right now, it is a bit high and a bit of a gamble given the area's operating history. You could lose, but you could win big if they become sustainable and grow.

NYDB

A frames are having a bit of a resurgence, just like fanny packs and boot cut jeans

deadheadskier

Staff member

I personally like A frame style vacation cottages. As pointed out above, they're making a resurgence. I also like craftsman style homes. Many of the newer developments near the NH sea coast are craftsman style and many of them are smaller in square footage.

I'll take a modest slopeside development of free standing cottages over a condo in a large building in a Faux Swiss Village.

tipsdown

A frames are having a bit of a resurgence, just like fanny packs and boot cut jeans

I've been told they can't keep up...Price is not scaring anyone away. Everything they can commit to building for this coming ski season is already sold. The remainder of the buildout (next year) is almost fully committed.

KustyTheKlown

i love a-frames, and as a couple with no intention for kids it works for us. I'm just starting to work half-time in office again and I actually really like being back and interacting with people and getting out of the house, but if I were to ever go back to a long-term full time remote situation, a slopeside A frame like this would fit the bill. saddleback is awfully far away tho.

salsgang

A-Frames look pretty sweet and like Tipsdown I hear inbound interest is very strong. It seems to have a community vibe - there is a central common area with campfire pit. Will be interesting to see how it develops. Another cool thing Saddleback is doing in 2022 is converting some prime trailside real estate into employee housing which is pretty awesome. I wrote up a blog entry on the project here.

Newpylong

You really cannot beat an A-Frame for a ski/part time home. The roof requires no maintenance, the floor plan is simple, sq footage is maximized, etc.

thetrailboss

Staff member

And just for Benedict Gomez:

Mating season for [the Bicknell Thrush] is from May 1 through the end of July. As a result, Saddleback delayed construction until August.